660 problem with 64gb MicroSD card

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A bit odd this - I have a 32gb card with my music in the 660 and decided to upgrade it to a 64gb card. So copied my music files from 32 to 64 card - insert 64 card and the media player cannot recognise or see the mp3 files! So I put the 64 card into the laptop to check and yep all the files are there and I double click on a couple to play then and it is all good.

I have put the 32 card back in and it can read the music files as before so why is it unable to read the files on the 64gb card?

Any insights from you gurus out there?

May be a compatibility problem, 64Gb cards are SDXC and may not work with the 660.

Also check what format the card is as cards this size usually come as exFAT, try reformatting it to fat32 (you will loose everything on it)and copying your music on again.

Mark

Thanks all, seems I'm not the first to encounter this issue - I will try the process from the Boardy thread and see how it goes. :beerjug:

64GB cards are ex fat format as standard anyway so just stick with 32GB. Standard computer software can't format a 64GB card to the FAT 32 format.

Music on SD cards/ Zumo is just sooooooooo yesterday Lord Snooty. Thanks to Giles mentioning it, Spotify is really 'where its at' for music on the move. :thumb

I too learned the hard way about max size SD cards for Zumos....even worse for a 550 :(

Well I followed the instructions in the other thread and downloaded the EaseUS Partition Master software which enabled me to format the 64gb card as 32Fat, I fitted the card into the 660 and copied a single music file onto it and then hey presto I was able to play it - result, so I am now copying over the rest of the files. So it would appear that there is indeed a way round the problem.

I wouldn't trust a non recommended sized card if it contains maps. If it goes tits up en route you've lost your directions.

Take a bit of insurance. Load music and maps to a big card. Load maps only onto a smaller card. Take both on jaunt. Job done.

Well there is a post script - I have tried a download of a map update today and it doesn't like the 65gb card so back to the 32gb.

So to summarise, you can use a 64gb card if it is formatted to FAT 32 and used only for music files, but for mapping downloads it has to be the 32gb.

Back
Top Bottom