Still Think He Was The Greatest Guitarist Ever

I still do not think there has been enough recognition of how good he was.

Always thought this was as good as it got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=709KHLppvOM

You're spot on as regards the lack of recognition. But I think that applies to the general public. Other guitarists of his generation and later generations often sang his praises and still do. Both Jimmy Page and Brian May (amongst others) have praised his playing in the past and Slash from Gun'n'Roses continues to do so. The thing is, Rory always wanted to stick to playing/writing the music he felt true to at the cost of fame of which he had little interest in.
Walk on Hot Coals is a great showcase for his talents. The first time I heard it was on the Irish Tour '74 live album. :thumb

A bit frenetic for my taste, but very accomplished in the blues idiom.

And very true how many musicians who are well respected or even idolised by their peers, go generally unrecognised.

Rory himself shunned the shallow celebrity culture that much apparent recognition is superficially built upon.
In so doing he was in keeping with the modest Irish hero type - in the fashion of Tom Crean, Joey Dunlop & Sean Kelly - men of great accomplishment but few words who shunned hype.
Rory did not play the fame game - I'd like him less if he did but if he did he might be remembered by more today. Would that be better remembered. Depth or width - depth please?

Rory

I saw Taste in 1971 at Bath Pavilion. All he had was a Vox ac30 and a tattered old Strat.
but what a sound. brilliant guitarist. very under rated.

amazing player, certainly one of the greats, not much in the effects dept either, the patina on that strat is incredible, worth now well into 6 figure i would imagine

I still do not think there has been enough recognition of how good he was.

Always thought this was as good as it got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=709KHLppvOM

Cheers frosti, that's just reminded/prompted me to top up my Spotify playlist with ALL his stuff including Taste , that I havent already got. Some of his stuff still gives me goosebumps.

:thumb2

When Jimi Hendrix was asked what it was like to be the best guitarist in the world, he said, "I don't know. You need to ask Rory Gallagher"

I was lucky enough to see him twice. Fantastic gigs. Very under rated as you say.

Rory himself shunned the shallow celebrity culture that much apparent recognition is superficially built upon.
In so doing he was in keeping with the modest Irish hero type - in the fashion of Tom Crean, Joey Dunlop & Sean Kelly - men of great accomplishment but few words who shunned hype.
Rory did not play the fame game - I'd like him less if he did but if he did he might be remembered by more today. Would that be better remembered. Depth or width - depth please?

I was watching that thinking he is the Joey Dunlop of the guitar, Fender custom shop do a great recreation of that guitar

Good to see some fans on here.

He was a genuine fellow who did not look for commercial success but enjoyed being appreciated.
Did see him play three times and they were powerful gigs.

Good to have some old Youtube footage to go with the old LPs to listen to.

Goosebumps is the word.
Where did it all go wrong? Look at the energy!!
the shit that passes for music now ......

Thanx for Spanish TV to have kept the tapes. And while Franco was still at.
Anther gig worthwhile to see is Live at Rockpalast - Grugahalle Essen 1977.
And a shout for Johnny Winter!
Cheers Josey

You'd see him around Douglas quite bit as he bought a house for his mother on the Well road. He was very approachable and was happy to chat. I never did though for some reason. Just didn't want to be bothering him. I saw him live at the opera house. it was recorded by RTE and i can see myself in the crowd at one point sitting behind various members of the National Chopper Club. :augie

Back
Top Bottom