Which motobatt for a twincam GSA?

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I think my battery is buggered (looks like the poncy BMW charger I bought second hand malfunctioned and completely discharged it) and I've been searching for a motobatt replacement.

However, I get two different model numbers depending on where I look with most outlets saying I need a 9U fitment, whereas the GS has a 12U. I can't believe that the GSA (with its high output alternator and copious electrical junk) uses a smaller battery than the cooking GS? Is this correct?

Anyone bought a motobatt for a 2012 twincam GSA and can tell me which one is correct?

And no Bendy - I don't want to try a LiPo battery ;)

Ta
Matt

i have a 2010 gsa tu and, after some research, just fitted mbtx12u, all is fine. £47 from mad4bikes

regards, gary

I got the big Harley one.. Had to scrape a Stanley blade along it to trim 2mm off to fit between the guides on the air box.. Paid 65 quid for it but I've seen them for 53 since

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I brought a 9U following that advice and it's wrong! Too small and too low CCA however that's for an early hexhead.

I can't see the TC needing a physically smaller battery never mind the debate of a lower CCA.

My buddy has the 12 in his TC without any issue. I'm now going for Mbyz16h as it's almost same size and higher CCA still.

Thanks all - I'll get the 12u :thumb2
I like the idea of the bigger Harley one but shaving batteries sounds a bit dodgy (unless it's just the flange on the bottom) and knowing my luck the late twincams would be 'special' and not take it... ;)

Is the battery really shot? Have you tried an Optimate to recover it?

Yep - pretty sure.
It sat for a week just about completely flat due to the stupid BMW charger - in my experience no battery will survive that and return to its previous performance whatever you charge it with.

I haven't got an optimate but I've got the similar CTek 'smart' charger which as they all do, just charges it to its new reduced capacity and reports everything is fine. However, immediately after unplugging the charger it shows 12.1v and will barely push one piston over TDC.

2012 TC GS I used a Motobatt MBYZ16HD exactly the same physical size as original just higher capacity.

Thanks - 16 it is then :thumb2

Any difference between the 16H and 16HD? They've both been mentioned in this thread...

Edit:
Answering my own question - looks like the HD is no longer made - HD it is.

Thanks - 16 it is then :thumb2

Any difference between the 16H and 16HD? They've both been mentioned in this thread...

You would think the HD stands for Heavy Duty.......but check out the colouring (hint,hint)
The H will just be the normal yellow colour.

I could be wrong.

Just ordered a 16H - thanks for the advice :thumb2

I brought a 9U following that advice and it's wrong! Too small and too low CCA however that's for an early hexhead.

I can't see the TC needing a physically smaller battery never mind the debate of a lower CCA.

My buddy has the 12 in his TC without any issue. I'm now going for Mbyz16h as it's almost same size and higher CCA still.

I am literally right now in dialogue with Motobatt in the USA, High Level Enterprises (UK importers), and M&P (supplier) over who is responsible for the recommendation on Motbatt's website that a MTBX9U is the right battery for a 1200GSA. I ordered one in good faith from M&P and its clearly wrong but as I fitted and tried to use it M&P are being a bit cagey about a refund (and I don't blame them) in case they cant resell it. High Level Enterprises said nowt to do with them, get in touch with Motobatt. Motobatt said contact High Level, as Motobatt only deal with US customers. Its not over yet, and there appears to be some movement from all three parties so I am hopeful of a good outcome.

High Level said the right battery is an MTBZ14S.

Thanks all - I'll get the 12u :thumb2
I like the idea of the bigger Harley one but shaving batteries sounds a bit dodgy (unless it's just the flange on the bottom) and knowing my luck the late twincams would be 'special' and not take it... ;)

Yep - pretty sure.
It sat for a week just about completely flat due to the stupid BMW charger - in my experience no battery will survive that and return to its previous performance whatever you charge it with.

I haven't got an optimate but I've got the similar CTek 'smart' charger which as they all do, just charges it to its new reduced capacity and reports everything is fine. However, immediately after unplugging the charger it shows 12.1v and will barely push one piston over TDC.

My Optimate III recovered a totally dead car battery (car parked with lights on) and continued to use it for a year before selling the car. I had a gel battery from a power backup box that was run to dead flat and left like that for at least 2 weeks. The Optimate recovered it and just to see if it would work, I used it to start my mother's lawn mower for a year.

If the battery is old and gone dead though age or storage discharge, the recovery charger wont help as the cells are hard sulphated.
If its recently been flattened there's a good chance it can be recovered.

My Optimate III recovered a totally dead car battery (car parked with lights on) and continued to use it for a year before selling the car. I had a gel battery from a power backup box that was run to dead flat and left like that for at least 2 weeks. The Optimate recovered it and just to see if it would work, I used it to start my mother's lawn mower for a year.

If the battery is old and gone dead though age or storage discharge, the recovery charger wont help as the cells are hard sulphated.
If its recently been flattened there's a good chance it can be recovered.

You'd probably get away with 'recovering' a car battery as they have plenty of capacity and even if they're operating with an irredeemably reduced capacity after being flattened (which they will be), they'd probably be ok (until it gets realy cold).

Mine is three years old and was flat for at least a week. It's now been on charge with my CTek charger for a week and still only shows 12.1v fresh off the charger. It will start the bike (just) but I could never trust it - you can guarantee if it decided to let me down, it would be in Spain in June.

I've never seen a battery that's been completely flattened recover all it's capacity and bike batteries just don't have enough spare capacity to chance it (for me anyway).

Quadflex with absorbed glass mat technology. WOW!! sounds fantastic. What is it ??? :D

Quadflex with absorbed glass mat technology. WOW!! sounds fantastic. What is it ??? :D

It's a lead acid that won't leak but it's still lead acid. It will sulphate if left unused for too long.
If a recovered battery is down on volts you have a weak cell. It's toast. If it goes back to normal it should be fine.
But as said it depends how it went flat. Long term neglect = toast. Short term mistake with an otherwise good battery - it should be fine.

Sent somehow.

Back
Top Bottom