50 litre fuel tanks for a gs air head

I have 3 Petrol Tanks that i have used on my r 80 Gs Paralever 1991 the standard 25 litre bmw tank a bmw Paris Dakar Tank of 32 litre and a HPN 43 Litre Tank i think to get to 50 litre you would need to fit rear tanks ?

43 litres on mine. What the hell do you want with 50 litres?

R100%20with%20HPN_zps4kx9drlf.jpg

If you wanted more the cheapest and easiest option would be to fit a couple of rotopax containers to your rack or pannier frames. It would even out the weight http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/section.php/52/1/rotopax_uk_fuel_tanks

I can get one for you Alan, I've seen an aluminium one in the Netherlands for sale I'm going over Easter if you want it collecting??

If it really has to be 50 litres I think Hoske did one. Also Bernd Tesch used to make large tanks, they won't be cheap though.

Most of the bikes you see with the 50L tank also have big knobby tires.
I just fitted a set of knobs and managed to wear the rear out in less than 1000 km so with a 50 L tank and knobs you face the prospect of having to change tires more often than you fill the tank, which could negate the perceived value of the tank somewhat!

Never been a fan of large fuel tanks and travelled the entire length of Africa Cairo to Cape Town using a standard 24litre GS tank without issue. These days I'd probably use a rotapax for a little extra capacity.

My G/S will get me just over 600 km of gentle driving, which would probably get you from a servo to the next one in most parts of the UK, or Australia for that matter.
But I fill up at my local oil company owned station on the way home every day, and it is a nice feeling to point the old girl down the road in the morning, just follow the front wheel and know I dont have to think about petrol before my lunch stop.
Petrol here is, er, variable, in quality, so if I have to top up on the road I try not to let the tank get below half full, just in case the country stuff is crap, so a big tank cuts down the stops , and keeping the tank relatively full also helps to offset the weight of a full load of luggage on the back too.

The best thing about a big tank for me is that I stop for breaks at nice places and not petrol stations. I don't tend to put 43l in when I'm only running around town though.

Currently reading ' A Tankful of Time' by Michael Fong, extract reads "we had made it to within ten km of our next town called Zahaden when Baby faltered and her engine spluttered and died. Her 35 litre petrol tank was bone dry. She'd covered nearly 500 km without a top up". Of course if he had the 42 or 50 litre tank he'd never have got to write those lines. 'Baby' being a fully loaded PD two up.

Back
Top Bottom