indicators / hazards won't cancel...

G5RJO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, so it's a 2007 R1200RT but there's more traffic here and there are similarities..

Indicators will turn on, left, right and.. as I've found out, hazards as well.

Can't cancel them though. Turn off the ignition, pull the key, hazards stay on.. Only way to stop them is to pull the battery lead.

Right switchgear pulled apart, rubbers on microswitches seem fine, a direct press on the 'cancel' micro switch feels like a 'click' but still no cancelling.

May be a complete red herring but the original battery was 'toast' and this problem manifested itself with a duff battery. A new battery fitted today but the issue remains.

GS-911 reports no faults.

Any clues?

Roger.

Have no experience with this but it definitely sounds like a switch or relay issue. Have you checked the relays or confirm if there's a signal coming out of the "cancel" switch?

Might be time to crack the wiring diagram and follow the path and see if you can spot the issue.

Cheers,
Rami

I've opened the switchgear. The switch (Cancelling switch) has a negative on one side and delivers a negative when pressed... Still no cancelling...

At a bit of a loss now...

Roger.

I'm not 100% familiar with the circuit so I don't want to say too much bollocks, but I would expect to see some relays in the circuit that will open/close when an action is triggered from the switches. If one of those goes bad, it wont send the signal through...

I'll see if I can find the wiring on my book, I've googled it but couldn't find the specific diagram to fully understand how it connects/works.

Cheers

Had similar issues. Replaced it with new switchgear. Not that that helps

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My first plan would be to disconnect the battery for half an hour and see if it cures a glitch in the ZFE ecu.( The ZFE is not isolated by switching off the ignition).
Then check the continuity between the turn switch cancel wire blue and white wire at the switch and pin 8 on the ZFE (central vehicle electronics module).
The brown and orange wire from the cancel switch is linked to the stop switch and pin 42 on the BMSK ecu. if the right hand indicator is operating the continuity on this cable should be ok.
Just a start.

I had this on my 2010 K1300s which was another faulty switch. Thankfully the indicators had self cancelling which still worked. I know your switches are the much better and more reliable type but the cancel switch is likely to be the problem.

In the left hand switch gear there is a diode across the poles of the hazard warning switch, might be worth dropping a meter across it while you are in there.

Theres no hazard warning switch as far as I know...

Am I missing something? I thought it was a press on BOTH indicators to turn them on!

This isn't my bike, it's a mates bike...

I had it for a quick oil change job etc, battery was iffy when it came in but he says that the indicators were OK.

Stood in the garage for about 4 weeks as the final drive was shot... needed to get it refurbed etc.

Had it on a charger (direct to battery) overnight and it started, he got about 3 miles before the indicator issue showed up, turned the engine off to clear them and it wouldn't go again off the battery, bump started it.

New battery on today but as said, the issue re the indicators remains.

When you re-connect the battery and turn on the ignition the hazards start again.....

Whoops sorry, the page had blown over to the 05 - 06 diagram which shows the diode and hazard switch. .
you are correct the 07 rt is the same as the GS, press both switches.
Post #7 was on the right page, ref blue & white wire continuity.
If the hazards come on as soon as the ignition is turned on try unplugging each switch gear to see if it is a fault in the ZFE.

Whoops sorry, the page had blown over to the 05 - 06 diagram which shows the diode and hazard switch. .
you are correct the 07 rt is the same as the GS, press both switches.
Post #7 was on the right page, ref blue & white wire continuity.
If the hazards come on as soon as the ignition is turned on try unplugging each switch gear to see if it is a fault in the ZFE.

Leaving the battery off overnight, will do the unplugging tomorrow or at the weekend when I have more time... It's a pain...

On mine the hazards or normal indicators cancel with the cancel button.
Who knows why we can't have a simple press on press off from the indicator buttons

The solution !!

Battery off all night, still the same..

Off comes all the tupperware and the tank.. (GS is so much easier than this RT:mad:).

The wiring from the cancel button has a brown wire and a blue/white wire. They emerge at the control unit as blue/white and a brown with an orange tracer. There's a junction within the loom about 4" or 100mm from the controls that changes the brown wire.

Anyway, brown is negative and the switch sends a negative signal (when pressed) down the blue/white wire to cancel the indicators.

At the control unit there was no negative arriving.. an obvious break in the wire somewhere.

My solution was to bridge the whole section with new wire, soldered in top and bottom, it works:thumb2

A bit cheaper than the £120+ motor works want for second hand parts..

Thanks for all the suggestions. Time for a :beer:in the sun...

Roger.

Has anyone been able to hack the canbus code so the indicator buttons start and cancel the flashers?

Battery off all night, still the same..

Off comes all the tupperware and the tank.. (GS is so much easier than this RT:mad:).

The wiring from the cancel button has a brown wire and a blue/white wire. They emerge at the control unit as blue/white and a brown with an orange tracer. There's a junction within the loom about 4" or 100mm from the controls that changes the brown wire.

Anyway, brown is negative and the switch sends a negative signal (when pressed) down the blue/white wire to cancel the indicators.

At the control unit there was no negative arriving.. an obvious break in the wire somewhere.

My solution was to bridge the whole section with new wire, soldered in top and bottom, it works:thumb2

A bit cheaper than the £120+ motor works want for second hand parts..

Thanks for all the suggestions. Time for a :beer:in the sun...

Roger.

Nice one bud!! Glad you were able to get that sorted :)

Back
Top Bottom