Touratech topbox rework

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently bought a Honda 250 CRF trail bike and decided it needs some storage for odds and sods- I don't like the idea of a rucksack so a topbox it has to be. It was perfect timing when a roadkill touratech box appeared on here at the right price and got things moving- thanks Reg:thumb2

I bought a rack off ebay.. which proved to be poor quality and did not fit the bike. After learning that the Honda official rack isn't suitable for a topbox I decided I would have to splash out on an aftermarket one which, contrary to BMW practice, are more expensive than the genuine Honda ones. That was the plan anyway, more on the rack later..

Right then- the box arrived and was in reasonable condition considering it had been 'down the road' but both locks were in a bad state after being drilled etc by the police to try and establish who it belonged to.
It was offered up top the bike and proved to be a bit too big for the little CRF.

Attachments

• ptb.jpg
    ptb.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 706
Off with his head...

Decide to shorten it down by cutting a section out of the middle to give it dimensions similar to Pelicase etc.
Removed 12 cms out of the height- this was as much as needed and as much as was possible before the hinges had nothing to fasten to.
First - lid off, followed by the sealing strip(needed heat to soften the adhesive), marked it up for the cut and also the height of the lid when refitted. Then attacked it with the jigsaw- touratech fetishists look away now..

Attachments

• ptb2.jpg
    ptb2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 685
  • ptb4.jpg
    ptb4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 691
  • ptb7.jpg
    ptb7.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 684
  • ptb8.jpg
    ptb8.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 661
lid off , lid on

Refitted the lid and sealing strip, easy peasy because the lid sits tight on the seal making a good template.There is also the metal band around the inside edge which sits up to the seal and gives a good template for the bolts to be refitted.
Remembered I had a Cymarc rear seat plate for my GS which I never got round to fitting...so offered this up to the bike and decided to use it instead of spending any more dosh.

Attachments

• ptb9.jpg
    ptb9.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 683
  • ptb10.jpg
    ptb10.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 704
  • ptb11.jpg
    ptb11.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 697
  • ptb12.jpg
    ptb12.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 675
Brackets next

Knocked up some brackets and fitted the plate using the bolts and spacers in the cymarc kit, along with the tophat spacers that were on the original Honda bolts to protect the plastics.
Also rebuilt the lock unit for the lid and recoded it to a spare bmw key so now it locks properly:thumb2

Attachments

• ptb13.jpg
    ptb13.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 699
  • ptb15.jpg
    ptb15.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 645
  • ptb14.jpg
    ptb14.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 680
Job done.

Bolted it on. Plate maybe a bit on the big size but necessary to span the gap between the brackets. Could be used as Hooters intended by removing the box and fastening stuff direct to the plate.

Job Done... apart from maybe painting or covering the brackets in carbon wrap or similar to tidy them up a bit.

Attachments

• ptb17.jpg
    ptb17.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 704
  • ptb18.jpg
    ptb18.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 672
Job done:thumb
Just a thought,you might want to consider doing something with those leading edges,
May well cause you some damage if you got shunted from behind:eek:

Cheers mikey- good point. I have a tooltube that was intended for the front but it's a bit long between the fixing points. That can be my next mini mini project.
I cut the outside down to make it smaller ....And then start adding bits to the outside..Hmmm, analyze that:blast

Ace job, I asked Touratech rep at the Scottish show what the 25L aluminium topbox cost - £425 :eek:

Almost identical to your good effort.

Mind I did go for this on My Tiger 800 - £19 from Farnell components

Attachments

• P1030435 (800x600).jpg
    P1030435 (800x600).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 638
Ace job, I asked Touratech rep at the Scottish show what the 25L aluminium topbox cost - £425 :eek:

That looks tidy- big enough for a few bits and bobs, waterproofs etc.

Mk 2

Mikeyboy got me worried after making the valid point about the leading edges.... So I removed the CYMARC plate and bolted it directly onto the brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_20170404_151126.jpg
    IMG_20170404_151126.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 557

Oh that look good. What it's called / part number. Thanks

That's a very nice piece of handy work Steve......:clap

Thanks bounce-- I have since replaced it with a pelicase, bought from NuttyGSer, and a tooltube.
The box is now fitted with some homemade brackets on the bottom to allow it to mount on a givi plate on my GS- ideal for its intended use i.e. odds and sods for a day trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20170916_114117.jpg
    IMG_20170916_114117.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20170913_105850.jpg
    IMG_20170913_105850.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 416
Thanks bounce-- I have since replaced it with a pelicase, bought from NuttyGSer, and a tooltube.
The box is now fitted with some homemade brackets on the bottom to allow it to mount on a givi plate on my GS- ideal for its intended use i.e. odds and sods for a day trip.

He does like a pelicase

The boxes look good Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk.3...

Box now fits onto the GSA rack on my LC.
The Givi plate was redundant after buying a set of Holan boxe because the holan top box fits straight onto the BMW gsa rack( the gsa metal rack is a straight swap for the plastic lc rack), which meant my little home made Givi brackets were of no use.:blast
The box was originally off a pre-lc bike so the rails on the bottom didn't line up with the gsa rack....more holes to drill, it looks like a colander now but fits straight onto the rack and locks on using the original lock, coded to the ignition key.

Attachments

• IMG_20181130_091459.jpg
    IMG_20181130_091459.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 208

Back
Top Bottom