Fuel Strip to Float Conversion...Dummy Run

Did you get it from Motorworks?
I bet they got a few calls for floats lately.
When I explained what I needed it for the guy seemed to know the process.

Spoke too soon.

Got the parts today.
From the label (and the indicated VIN number) and shape, this should be the pump/float for a standard GS1200. It's a 2004. The "early" float as indicated by Alex on his first post.
I have to fit it to a 2007 GSA. Will have to send it back.

float1.jpg

float2.jpg

Did you get it from Motorworks?
I bet they got a few calls for floats lately.
When I explained what I needed it for the guy seemed to know the process.

Yes Motorworks it is. I have supplied the number on this site and so others must be getting in touch. It is they who advised that the part number I had gained from others is probably not the part required and supplied a different part which I have included as a picture on here. I have no idea if this part will fit or function as I have not yet purchased the converter from Henk. When I do finally fit the part I will let others know but if some one else fits it first then feel free to post on here.

Attachments

• 20170330_124710 (2).jpg
    20170330_124710 (2).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,270
commandoallan that looks like a GSA float to me...and is different to the two I have (both of which are GS).

I think that is the correct float for you if you have a GSA - it matches the first photo in my opening post:

R1200GSA float assembly:
GSA%20Float.jpg

Cheers Alex G,

That should be great news. I will obviously fit when I am able and let others know the outcome.

Thanks for your post.

2008 GSA Owner.

Yes Motorworks it is. I have supplied the number on this site and so others must be getting in touch.

I gave them the part number, explained what it was for. Got the wrong part.
To be fair, it can be in part due to my smoooooooth Italian accent.
FFS – gonna return it

I have now completed this conversion with the new module and a new float from BMW (£92) on 2010 GSA. The float arm required some gentle modification (bending) to get it to float freely and I encountered some issues with the plugs which lost their connection if inserted too far, though this may be unique to me bike. That said it is as described by the nice man in Holland and seems to work as you would hope. I must say I'm pleased with it. Total cost all in, very similar to a new fuel strip but hopefully longer lasting.

Is post on here the empty and full resistance values and whether it is a log or linear scale ?

From a secondhand 2010-2013 GS float:
  • Full / highest position = 4 ohms
  • Empty / lowest position = 89 ohms
  • Linear scale

• Linear scale

Interesting stuff.

The fuel strip shows 36 ohm when removed for the bike no heat = full. I don't know what it shows when empty but expect it's higher. Who knows how it corrects for ambient temperature.

My industry standard stick float sender is 0 (empty) to 180 ohm (full) also a linear scale but it goes in quite strange steps 0 - 19 - 29 - 35 etc.
Obviously, measuring fuel level in a complex tank shape gives a very non linear line. Adding 10 litres from bone dry will read 75%, yet it shows 100% for about 100 miles from a full tank. I really should make notes as I fill the tank.

• Linear scale

Thank you for the information, I have filed it away for the future.
If I have to convert one there are a number of 0 to 100 ohm sending units available that could be adapted at a better price than bmw.
Just one after a 5 second google search, obviously there will be better / cheaper options out there.
Either use as a complete unit or remove the resistor head and fit to the stock pump.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...630714696.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.126.it1TL2

I gave them the part number, explained what it was for. Got the wrong part.
To be fair, it can be in part due to my smoooooooth Italian accent.
FFS – gonna return it

Hahaha,

Sorry mate, the number I gave on this site was only the contact phone number. The incorrect part number that was given to me was from Henk.. When I spoke to the guy's at motorworks they gave me the correct part (according to AlexG) but I still have to confirm this.

It may be best to explain bike year and model. You should then get the correct part.

Thank you for the information, I have filed it away for the future.
If I have to convert one there are a number of 0 to 100 ohm sending units available that could be adapted at a better price than bmw.
Just one after a 5 second google search, obviously there will be better / cheaper options out there.
Either use as a complete unit or remove the resistor head and fit to the stock pump.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...630714696.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.126.it1TL2

I looked at fitting that type of float but I don't believe there is enough space for the float to swing. It's hard to say without trying one. I went for a stick type with sliding float which cost me £32. I capped the top with epoxy putty and made an aluminium bracket to hold the top as close to the furl tank filler as possible. The bottom end sits in a cup screwed to the bottom of the tank. The stick had to be gently curved to be sure the flat would move freely.

The ideal would be something to fit though the tank bottom that comes off the mounting base at about a 15 degree angle.Nothing exists like that off the shelf.

Hahaha,

Sorry mate, the number I gave on this site was only the contact phone number. The incorrect part number that was given to me was from Henk...

Haha. No worries, I used the part number from Henk's instructions (and double checked it against RealOEM) not from this thread :)

It was just a mishap in the order. The parts are already back with them and I'm waiting for them to get hold of an Adv float.

I have early 2010 GSA and sadly it has a strip (which has just packed up again)

Hmm, not a great first run with this...

I had a 260 mile round trip today so thought it would be a good day to find out how effective this is.

I wondered whether the float had jammed because at well over 100 miles the gauge was still showing full. Based on the user manual information for the non-computer GS I did not expect it to be very accurate at the top of the range, but had assumed that the gauge would start dropping from about half full.

In reality the gauge did not start to drop until after 185 miles from fill up, then it dropped real quick!

I bottled it with two blocks showing above the 'arrow' at this stage my trip was showing 215 miles.
The low fuel warning had not come on at this stage (though it had when I tested the float outside the tank at its lowest level).

I filled up to the bottom of the rubber neck as normal...it took 20 litres, which would suggest the tank was pretty much empty.

Clearly there is something amiss, I'll see whether Henk is willing to discuss how he set up his converter in the first place, I can't help thinking that since he created his converter originally for the GSA the difference in tank size may be the issue.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361837496029
(Givi TAN01) Homologated Jerry can 2.5 L

I ordered one of those last week and it was meant to be delivered Saturday (ready for yesterday's trip), but it was delayed and turned up less than 10 minutes after I left!

The GSA's tank range is the one thing that tempts me, but having replaced suspension and changed a few other things to tailor the GS to my preference it would make little sense to swap just for that.

it took 20 litres, which would suggest the tank was pretty much empty

Last time I ran out of fuel (a few weeks ago) with the GSA I managed to put 35 liters in the tank (should be around 33).
2 blobs over the arrow with 20 liters to fill as you say seems consistent with a GSA tank capacity.

fucking_fuel_strip.jpg

Hi Alex,

On a GSA it starts to drop after 105-108 miles, do to the shape of the tank.
The float can't reached the top of the tank.
Then 1 block per 27 mile. so on 304 mile it's empty.

sorry for my bad English :)

Henk

Hi Alex,

On a GSA it starts to drop after 105-108 miles, do to the shape of the tank.
The float can't reached the top of the tank.
Then 1 block per 27 mile. so on 304 mile it's empty.

sorry for my bad English :)

Henk

Hi Henk,

welcome to the forum:)

Mart

Back
Top Bottom