Fuel Strip to Float Conversion...Dummy Run

The fuel strip could remain in the tank but if connected to the bike harness would surely affect the emulator and spoil any signals it sends.
But from all the above - I think tomorrow I will take the foil sensor/strip out, dry it out, reconnect and calibrate, disconnect, connect float - and I (from what I understand from reading so far....) think that should work.....

But from all the above - I think tomorrow I will take the foil sensor/strip out, dry it out, reconnect and calibrate, disconnect, connect float - and I (from what I understand from reading so far....) think that should work.....
Sounds like I'm at the same stage as you. I've already removed the old fuel strip from the tank when I fitted the float so will attempt to calibrate using it. Not sure this will work as the strip was faulty. Bert from Probeemer said that you need a good fuel strip to calibrate but why would you go to the cost of a new strip then fit a float conversion????
One thing to note, Bert from Probeemer states this: "Don't forget to turn the rear wheel when the motorcycle is on it's stand because the ZFE needs signal from the rear wheel to display the fuel level." Not sure at what stage you're supposed to turn the wheel.

Still can't work out why I'm getting fuel error on dash but no errors displaying in ZFE controller via gs-911??

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep, same confusion over "good foil sensor".... I wouldn't be installing the float if I had one of those...

A good fuel strip will allow calibration to occur ;)

However the good strip will eventually fail so in some respects it's like buying somthing for the next time it fails. ;)

However what you could do ...

take the old strip out - do the Piezo zap and see if it restores functionallity

If it does, theres your "good" fuel strip, then callibrate your float unit with it :)

A good fuel strip will allow calibration to occur ;)

However the good strip will eventually fail so in some respects it's like buying somthing for the next time it fails. ;)

However what you could do ...

take the old strip out - do the Piezo zap and see if it restores functionallity

If it does, theres your "good" fuel strip, then callibrate your float unit with it :)
Just tried this twice - sadly the strip is not responding to zapping i get the following:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 345
Quick Q,

What of the high level functions of the ZFE do you use??

Will you still get MPG & range using the float conversion?

What other onboard computer options come with the High ZFE?

It all sounds like too much faffing about to me. My 7th fuel strip is playing up again. Reads 3/4 full after covering 300 miles and says I still have a range of 300 miles left, my last one did the same,
Usually they fail and read zero with the low fuel level warning. Wierd that the last 2 have failed showing 3/4 tank still remaining.
, I've booked it in for a new fuel strip to be fitted on the 1st of may.
My last strip that I paid for was in July 2016 and I had 3 more fitted under the 2 year warranty. The last one lasted 20 months. They have quoted me 230 pounds this time which is 20 more than nearly 3 years ago.
At least I know I have an accurate gauge again for as long as it lasts. Needed on a 36 litre gsa.

It all sounds like too much faffing about to me. My 7th fuel strip is playing up again. Reads 3/4 full after covering 300 miles and says I still have a range of 300 miles left, my last one did the same,
Usually they fail and read zero with the low fuel level warning. Wierd that the last 2 have failed showing 3/4 tank still remaining.
, I've booked it in for a new fuel strip to be fitted on the 1st of may.
My last strip that I paid for was in July 2016 and I had 3 more fitted under the 2 year warranty. The last one lasted 20 months. They have quoted me 230 pounds this time which is 20 more than nearly 3 years ago.
At least I know I have an accurate gauge again for as long as it lasts. Needed on a 36 litre gsa.

Ive got a bogo GS with float, i dont get the luxury of mpg, range, etc.

All i get is a low fuel warning with 50 miles range (approx)

I know at worst it's 150 miles before the LFW comes on and at best (at the mo ;) ) about 200 miles

Surley all you need to know is your approximate tank range worst case and go from there?

Once you get used to having a range to empty readout from the computer it's a pain to be without it.
Had a fright today. I've been riding using the trip meter and always assumed I'd get 300 miles easily on a full tank. I thought I'd play it safe and refill at 275 miles today. It took 34.5 litres!

Ive got a bogo GS with float, i dont get the luxury of mpg, range, etc.

All i get is a low fuel warning with 50 miles range (approx)

I know at worst it's 150 miles before the LFW comes on and at best (at the mo ;) ) about 200 miles

Surley all you need to know is your approximate tank range worst case and go from there?

Once you get used to having a range to empty readout from the computer it's a pain to be without it.
Had a fright today. I've been riding using the trip meter and always assumed I'd get 300 miles easily on a full tank. I thought I'd play it safe and refill at 275 miles today. It took 34.5 litres!

That's my point, when touring I've had as little as 280 miles on 33 litres or as much as 460 miles putting in 36 litres. It's would be a pity to fill up at 300 miles and only put in 22 litres, the range is very useful when its working fine, if it cost me 80 quid a year and a few trips to the dealer its not a lot of hassle.

Yes there is quite some variation

You could always try a fitting a float sytem and a Low ZFE - you wouldnt get any onboard computery but then again you wouldnt get any fuel strips failing

Relying on tank range is ok when you ride the same route every time, but not much help when mpg can vary from upper 30s to low 50s on one run and there is no reserve tap. 35 litres still runs out, but even with a working fuel strip, you'll be running on guesswork for the last 50 miles.

Other bike makers use at least one thermistor as a low fuel warning light completely separately from the float sensor. The GSA gets its low fuel warning from the fuel strip. No strip no warning. A pair of thermistor or float switch warning LEDs would be nice and easy to achieve. One set at 15 litres remaining and one with 5 litres remaining would be handy.

Relying on tank range is ok when you ride the same route every time, but not much help when mpg can vary from upper 30s to low 50s on one run and there is no reserve tap. 35 litres still runs out, but even with a working fuel strip, you'll be running on guesswork for the last 50 miles.

Other bike makers use at least one thermistor as a low fuel warning light completely separately from the float sensor. The GSA gets its low fuel warning from the fuel strip. No strip no warning. A pair of thermistor or float switch warning LEDs would be nice and easy to achieve. One set at 15 litres remaining and one with 5 litres remaining would be handy.
How many new strips have you had fitted, I have had 7 now, I have found them all to be very reliable in measuring the range remaining every single time whilst they are working fine, I have always been able to take my range down to as little as 5 miles remaining and fill up with 34- 36 litres ( I have never run out of fuel though I was close last year in France when I couldn't find a fuel station, 467 miles on that tankfull, 36.7 litres put in :eek).this is why I will be having a new strip fitted again in a couple of weeks, (number 8)
it's a problem that BMW need to address but I suspect that will never happen, they could I should imagine develop a replacement system for the fuel strip fitted to many thousands of gs/gsa's but it doesn't seem as though they are bothered about it. As for a warning with 15 litres remaining that's a little pointless imho why would you want a warning coming on the dash for up to 180 miles of remaining fuel range, 5 litres maybe, giving 50-55 miles to find fuel.
My tls's both have the flashing fuel light come on after 13.5 litres used, at 15 litres used it goes solid, leaving me another 2 litres to find fuel, it has worked fine for the 21 years I've been riding TL's never run out either.

When they work the fuel strips are great. The problem is they don't work for long and BMW did not see fit to provide an independent warning light.

Fair point, 150 to 180 miles remaining needs no warning. But my litres remaining figures were suggestions. :)
I'm basically saying Low and Low-low warnings would be handy to have. However, the whole job could have been done cheaply and reliably with four thermistors. We only need to know 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and nearly empty.

Any progress with Bert's converters?

Yes, once you understand you need a working fuel sensor strip to calibrate, clear the fault and then install the float control box and a float.........
Bert has said he will re-write the instructions to make this clear. Malvern Beamer assisted me with a working strip - very grateful for the assistance.

So you calibrate a good strip, then unplug it and plug in the float then when it's back in tank you just plug in the converter in line? Is the fault code stored from the original strip? Or is one generated fitting the float conversion? I've read and reread the instructions and can't quite get my head around them!

So you calibrate a good strip, then unplug it and plug in the float then when it's back in tank you just plug in the converter in line?
That's what Bert advised me to do to get mine working - slightly frustrating as I did not spot that in instructions.......
It seems to work fine once there is no error from a failed BMW sensor strip. Mine had no "fault codes" as such, but had the orange triangle and empty fuel warning as a result of the failed strip the only way yo clear this from the system seems to be using a good strip, then swapping over to the float conversion (float and float control box).

Back
Top Bottom