Corrosion on front disc

That footrest hanger frame lug. I reckon thats dust. I thought the same with my GS, but the bristles on a 1" paintbrush got it cleaned out.
BMW think it's rust and are replacing the rear subframe.

from the dark side this was sent

Riding in winter has caused that...................do you use ACF50?
Look JB I've searched in the owners manual and I can't find the page about not riding in winter. Wonder if I've got the Moroccan version of the manual.

Look JB I've searched in the owners manual and I can't find the page about not riding in winter. Wonder if I've got the Moroccan version of the manual.

I know, it shouldn't happen...........you are right

BMW think it's rust and are replacing the rear subframe.

Blimey! I'd go and have a closer look at mine again, but it's going in PX next week for a new one. Plenty of scope for warranty claims to come. :blast

Don't let the dealer clean the bike. Probably used some cheap cleaning agent and then power washed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A quick squirt on the disc with a light oil or wd40 does the trick.

Honest..

Yes i see a law suite coming your way at sometime.

Stainless steel dose corrode and is most commonly attacked by the Chloride ion and can be accelerated by the application of heat.
Warm brakes + Salt = corrosin on Stainless Steel

I wouldn't use wire wool as you are liable to bits of carbon steel stuck onto the disc which will only encourage rust. You can get stainless steel pan scrubbers in super markets for cleaning pots and pans. I think these may involve more work in cleaning but will ultimately do a better job.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Spoke with dealer and they will monitor and see at second service. He thinks mine is coming from the disc bobbins and being spread that way. He did point out that they go off like this if left wet outside and uncovered over night. I use a bike dryer and its garaged. They have seen worse. They recommend cleaning with pan scrubbers and not wire wool. Oh and ride the bike often and don't leave standing.

Have two trips to the continent coming up in April and May lets see.

Thanks again
Mike

Back
Top Bottom