Corrosion on front disc

Fat Biker 66

Reaction score
Went out on my first ride since accident. Noticed corrosion around front disc. Back disc is clean and clear. is it normal to have this level of corrosion on the discs? It is spaced around the disc and evident around the bolts both inside and outside. The bike has done 1200 miles - all dry. I could understand if on my winter hack but. It was cleaned by dealer 3 weeks ago and been in a dry garage since. Cleaned regular and disc have only ever had snow foam on. Bike has no corrosion.

IMG_2490.JPGIMG_2491.JPGIMG_2493.JPGIMG_2494.JPG
Any advice or insight before going to dealer?

Thanks
Mike

Cast iron rusts it's not a problem apart from not looking good.

from the dark side this was sent

My R1200R is only 8 weeks old and has rust and corrosion all over the place.

ee8768ceac7ed771f4ec1b3ed4f8592f.jpg

I would be going nuts if it was mine at 8 weeks old

op, I would ask them where it was kept when it was with whoever had it, looks like its been kept outside for them to go off like that

Clearly they are not as good stainless steel does not rust at all. They migt be very poor quality stainless mix and are probably nickle and steel. Discs are usually A2 or A4 (marine grade) stainless the latter will not rust even if used in salt water.
I have a bike shop and fit thr BMW'S with Armstrong wavy stainless discs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you think the fronts are bad, check out your rear disc! Mine after less than 300 miles was shocking and still is.

Don't forget that as you used your disc's they heated up and expanded/contracted and will have absorbed the moisture in the air, present even without rain.

You did clean, wash and then blow dry your brakes ?

Raise it with dealer and ask them to deal with it at first service, that way you see if it gets worse.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Discs rust, on all cars and bikes. Just go over the rust spots with a bit of wire wool if it worries you.

Discs rust, on all cars and bikes. Just go over the rust spots with a bit of wire wool if it worries you.

I wouldn't use wire wool as you are liable to bits of carbon steel stuck onto the disc which will only encourage rust. You can get stainless steel pan scrubbers in super markets for cleaning pots and pans. I think these may involve more work in cleaning but will ultimately do a better job.

All this included in price in less than 6 weeks and under 1,000 miles.
8be5ffd29b28db3c7f2ec6ebf3953edd.jpg
ce2d1e194dbb47558439577e4b9f7307.jpg
865f6b968338798018229d9152f8e76c.jpg

Ohh that's disappointing! Looks like your bike is going to have dissolved in two years.

Whilst the older TC was no paragon of virtue when it came to corrosion, mine has 36k on it and has none other than the centre stand. The many stories of this on the LC model have put me off parading until BMW sort this out. What I do find strange is that over on Adv rider there are hardly any complaints.

That footrest hanger frame lug. I reckon thats dust. I thought the same with my GS, but the bristles on a 1" paintbrush got it cleaned out.

A quick squirt on the disc with a light oil or wd40 does the trick.

Honest..

Riding in winter has caused that...................do you use ACF50?

How so?

The bubbling under the paint is from poor surface prep before spraying and the centre stand is from road grit hitting a microscopic layer of paint that's not fit for purpose. No amount of ACF50 or whatever is gonna stop any of that.

Re the discs; discs can be made from cast iron (eg old Guzzis, airheads) and these will rust like feck but work well. Pure stainless, a la 70's/80's UJMs, didn't rust but were shit as breakes. So, most modern discs are now a lower grade of stainless (high carbon?) which offers good frictional properties but will rust a little bit. KTM's are the same as they use Brembo kit as well as MBW.

The rust easily polishes out with a bit of Solvol if it worries you and won't 'keep coming back', you won't have to polish it off often.

Conversely just go out and ride the fecker and don't worry about it :)

Andres

still shit though, especially with how much they cost, I had a twin cam gsa with 38k on it when I sold it and it was in better condition than most new models with only a few 1000mls on them

BMW have gone down hill massively over the past few years in quality but we all still buy them as they are a great bike

maybe people need to complain to BMW UK as well as there dealers ?

Back
Top Bottom