Steering head bearing sizes

mylovelyhorse

Reaction score
My steering head bearings are notchy again and this time I'm going to be replacing them myself. Does anyone happen to know the bearing sizes for a 2012 F800GS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

320/28X

After fitting several pairs in my 2008 F800GS over its 125,000 miles I now only use Koyo (Tried all other brands) and assemble by feel only (just like in the old days) :D

I didn't use a torque wrench the last time I did them, now done upward of 20,000 miles on this set (a personal best) and absolutely fine with not a trace of notchiness :thumb

Once fitted, after a thousand miles or so, the handlebars go light, but still no play, I just notch them up about 5 degrees :thumb

:beerjug:

Thanks a lot Micky. I've had a lot of sets in now and (of course) they've never had the 1000 miles later adjustment. They certainly will this time :)

Given your brand recommendation, I've just ordered a set of koyo wheel bearings and steering head bearings. I'm away for a week now so next weekend they'll have arrived and I'll be able to start looking at it.

If it takes me a while (which it will, I'm slow but try to be thorough) I should have my MZed roadworthy by then to take me on my commuting until the work is done.

I'm using the Haynes manual which theoretically covers up to 2010 models - I'm kind of assuming that the 2012 model is basically the same.

It's a pretty standard Meccano kinda job ... if you had a Meccano set as a kid you won't have a problem.

Get a new lower tin shield cover, goes under the bottom bearing. Can get bent in disassembly :rob

Don't forget that there are two holes in the bottom yoke whereby a narrow drift can be used to remove the lower bearing quite easily. The BMW dealer in Barry, Italy, used a hammer and chisel to remove mine, making a mess of the bottom yoke, totally destroying the bottom tin seal ... which he didn't replace :blast

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom