Fitting Sat Nav.

dr nosh

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought that I would fit my , new to me, Garmin 340 today.

Simple job.....4 bolts to fix the mount and 2 wires to solder to the plug.

Err, not so simple:

The Garmin mount:

The BMW mount:

The difficulty.

The 4 holes in the Garmin mount are differently spaced than the 4 holes in the plastic clamp that fits to the BMW mount.:mad:

Now, whilst I can fabricate an adaptor to overcome this, does anybody have a ready made solution?
Is there an adaptor available off the shelf somewhere?

Attachments

• garmin-zumo-300-motorcycle-mount.jpg
    garmin-zumo-300-motorcycle-mount.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 625
  • Sat nav bkt 3.jpg
    Sat nav bkt 3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 670
The current BMW Navigator Street is based on the Zumo 340/345/395 profile, so a dealer should be able to help you.

Possibly switch to a RAM mount?

A friend of mine has the BMW mount and it's not very stable, he says that the satnav (he has a Nav V) vibrates and isn't easy to see when on the move.

I had a Migsel mount with a RAM ball and it was much more stable and gave loads more movement for adjustment, but they are not cheap.

I second the suggestion of a RAM 1" ball mount, with a small bar mount replacing the BMW plastic box, but that might make the unit too close or increase the vibration.

If you do fabricate a mounting block, consider bracing the bottom of the sat nav bracket against the binacle with a bit or sticky thin foam tape.

Also I use Trent Plastics https://www.trentplastics.co.uk/engineering-plastics/nylon-6-sheet/nylon-6-black-sheetfor small adaptor plates like this, they sell nylon or other engineering plastic sheet in various thicknesses and none of it needs painting when done!
:)

The component parts.

I have a stock of 3mm dural sheet, and with Alachrome coating. Made the adaptor out of this, and turned up some black delrin spacers. Couple of coats of satin black from a rattle can.

Attachments

• SAM_4070.jpg
    SAM_4070.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 482
  • SAM_4076.jpg
    SAM_4076.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 475
  • SAM_4071.jpg
    SAM_4071.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 491
Good link.

The adaptor is identical to the one I made up. Would have saved me a bit of time.

re vibration. Have not tried it on the road yet. Will report back.

The component parts.

I have a stock of 3mm dural sheet, and with Alachrome coating. Made the adaptor out of this, and turned up some black delrin spacers. Couple of coats of satin black from a rattle can.

Which bar mount is that DN? And where did you purchase from?
Thanks DG

Yep. Easy.

Remove screen. Store somewhere safely.

Remove 2 screws on top of dash.

Assemble bar.

Refit 2 screws.

Refit windscreen.

Bish, bash, bosh.

Sound. Thanks again, that bar would be ideal for a touratwat lockable mount I reckon. It's a similar fit to the one I've got on the Adventure. Cheers for the heads up.

Have you hard wired the gps in also? A pal of mine who's got a K1600 told me that you can't just "wire" aux electronics due to a canbus(?). What's the craic with this? Does anyone know? I need to sort my SatNav out before our trip in a couple of months.

On the RT there is a socket especially for GPS installation.

Remove the r/h fairing panel. 2 screws underneath (above mudguard, alongside forks), 1 screw on black rear facing trim, 1 screw below speaker cover. Pull and twist.

The socket is to the right and front of the headstock, where the loom is tied to the fairing frame. Its taped up with cloth tape, and has a black plastic cover in place.

You can get the mating plug from Nippy Normans.

http://www.nippynormans.com/garmin-...any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness

You need connection 1 -ve, and 3 +ve. (Wires are marked, and the plug body has the numbers moulded in where the cable exits).

Tape up 2. Not used.

You will need to solder your GPS power leads to the leads of the plug. (BMW Nav may come with plug fitted)

The Garmin has a separate 12>5 V dropper, but I believe the BMW Nav units have the dropper built in.

Depending on what you are fitting. With the Garmin, just a bit more wiring to locate and secure.

So, GPS powers up with IGN on, powers down 50 secs after IGN off.

Thanks again. I'll probably be picking folks brains as and when I fit it. Just gonna buy the bar from the link you posted.

A friend of mine has the BMW mount and it's not very stable, he says that the satnav (he has a Nav V) vibrates and isn't easy to see when on the move.

Well, 1st run out today with the Garmin attached.

Very little vibration, and readable on the move, but, for my eyes, could do with a much bigger screen:eek:

Bluetoothed audio to Midland unit very clear, and had to turn the volume down.

Result: Acceptable.

Now got to learn how to do routes using motogoloco or similar.

Thought that I would fit my , new to me, Garmin 340 today.

Simple job.....4 bolts to fix the mount and 2 wires to solder to the plug.

Err, not so simple:

The Garmin mount:

The BMW mount:

The difficulty.

The 4 holes in the Garmin mount are differently spaced than the 4 holes in the plastic clamp that fits to the BMW mount.:mad:

Now, whilst I can fabricate an adaptor to overcome this, does anybody have a ready made solution?
Is there an adaptor available off the shelf somewhere?

BMW have turned the Garmin mount through 90 degrees. Try this as a solution

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....d-Communication/Adapter-ZUMO-340-and-350.html

It worked for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom