Where Do You Put Your Tent?

DeeGee

Reaction score
As per title, I'm going into France and Spain later on this year. I love camping, on previous trips I've stashed all the camping gear in a roll bag and the missus and I have had a pannier each for our gear.

I'm about to pull the pin on an 11 plate RT. But where would you stash the tent? Don't think it'd fit in the topbox.

You could take off the top box and then fit the roll bag. Or get a top box rack for the tent. I'd remove the box if it was me. JJH

What he said ^^^^.
Without the top box you could also get a bigger tent that wI'll strap onto the rack, instead of trying to stuff a small one in your panniers.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...t/page3?highlight=where+do+you+put+youre+tent

"ULTIMATELY SUMMARISED NICELY BY STEPTOE"

What has riding bikes for years got to do with the ability of applying simple common sense ????.

Hold tent in arms - stand in front of bike - open eyes and look at bike - see somewhere that looks promising to carry a tent ? put tent in the promising space and see if it fits - if it doesn't fit carry on looking/trying until it does -it won't take too long as there really is feck all choice apart from the rear rack or on top of the panniers - .

Thats full on adventure biking and you haven't even left the house yet.

I wouldn't put the tent on the bike at all, you'll damage the paintwork hammering the pegs in.
I've found the ground to be the best place to put tents.

As per title, I'm going into France and Spain later on this year. I love camping, on previous trips I've stashed all the camping gear in a roll bag and the missus and I have had a pannier each for our gear.

I'm about to pull the pin on an 11 plate RT. But where would you stash the tent? Don't think it'd fit in the topbox.

How fucking big is your tent that it won't fit in the top box? Get a better tent that packs smaller if space is an issue. MSR Mutha Hubba for example, it's 3 person tent that's ideal for 2 bikers.

that looks really good.

I use the MSR Hubba Hubba which is a 2-man tent that I use when solo camping and it is very good and packs very small, it's pricey but you get good quality at a very small pack size. I've had these cheaper variants like vango and they are not as good IMO, especially the very larger pack size. Same applies to most other camping gear, the smaller they pack the more expensive.

Some good answers, and who'd have thought Beemer owners with a sense of humour? :thumb think I might like it here. :bounce1

I live near a Go Outdoors I'll check out the little Ti-Pi. Cheers.

I did see this one on UKGSer FB page it'll definitely fit in the top box..

Attachments

• image1-1.jpg
    image1-1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 406
In the boot:-

Attachments

• R80-trailer-2.jpg
    R80-trailer-2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 382
There's no windows in that there caravan 😮

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

When I replaced the bike camping tent with a larger one I found the same problem due to it's size.

After much scratching of head I added this to the top box and it works well (just don't don't use the template for drilling holes as it doesn't factor in the curvature of the top box lid!).

Opted for this as due to other half's disc issues we need to have the deluxe Thermarests which don't pack down to a reasonable size and she also needs the back rest attached to the top box.

Attachments

• 20160919_155844.jpg
    20160919_155844.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 389
Not a big fan of strapping stuff to the bike.
I prefer to have kit locked away in top box or panniers. This way dont have to worry about some awe inspiring member of society making off with some kit by just cutting a strap when I refuel with Coffee during the day.
https://goo.gl/photos/4W1tgLjrLhX1SVA9A

My tent of choice is a Vango Tempest 200. Nice two person tunnel tent or 1 tosser sized bloke. Quick and east to pitch even in the rain. The guy in the video says 10mins to pitch. With practice you can easily do this in about 3mins.

We used to have that tempest. We've gone up to the omega 300 now and it's ideal for all the gear and camping stuff. It may fit in the top box, but doubt it. I pick the bike up on Friday, so I'll have a butchers then.

post it express delivery to the campsites that you want to stay at :D

I did know someone with a Ferrari that had to post his belongings to each hotel he was staying at.

I use the MSR Hubba Hubba which is a 2-man tent that I use when solo camping and it is very good and packs very small, it's pricey but you get good quality at a very small pack size. I've had these cheaper variants like vango and they are not as good IMO, especially the very larger pack size. Same applies to most other camping gear, the smaller they pack the more expensive.

+1 for the hubba hubba. It's a brilliant tent, light and packs small, in a pannier. I've invested in good quality gear that packs small. I don't stash anything on the bike that can get nicked from it easily. It's locked away.

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom