Riding modes

Right, I have now worked it out, I think, till someone comes up with something else, this is for the new 2017 dynamic ESA.
I am ignoring the plug in pro stuff and enduro as I will not be using it.
I will also ignore the Throttle response part of it as that is the same as 2013-2016 model

On the r/h button we have the three modes RAIN ROAD DYNA This is the same as the 2013-16 model and it functions in the same way.

On the left button we can change the preload MIN AUTO MAX. Auto will set the preload anywhere from min to max depending upon the load placed upon the m/cycle, once set it not affected by any other mode adjustments as per 2013-16 model. Also on the l/h button are 2 damping settings called ROAD DYNA just to confuse things. The bike however has 3 damping settings but only 2 are available in each of the r/h button modes. I will call the damping modes S..M..H. OK here goes.
The first value is the one you will get when entering a particular mode the second is when changed on the damping settings.
MODE / DAMPING
RAIN....road S dyna M
ROAD...road M dyna H
DYNA dyna H road M

I hope that has cleared everything up!

BMW have chopped off 1 damping setting for each mode, WHY?

One good thing though, for me (5' 6" , 11.5 stone) the rain mode actually does something, I can ride in rain mode most of the time as it does not pogo all over the place as before.

The settings I now use are RAIN for normal riding and ROAD with dyna damping for fast riding and the preload is always in AUTO. This means I am having to use the r/hand button a lot more, on my 2014 GS I just left it in road mode and changed the damping S for rain/ m for normal riding and H for fast riding.
I have not yet tried 2 up. In the owners manual for the 2016 it is suggested the bike is not loaded when increasing the preload, to save the servo I guess. This is not possible with the new bike set in auto preload as it needs a load to respond to. Are we going to see a load of failed rear suspension units.
On the Triumph Explorer the damping is set on a sliding scale from soft to hard anywhere you like.
All in all I would say it is step backwards in the suspension department which is a shame as the gearbox is now sorted.
All it needed was auto preload and stepless adjustment for the damping, get the bike hilltopped and the engine is dynamic all the time.
Phew, time for a cuppa.

What mode do you use for normal riding on the road with soft damping for maximum comfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What mode do you use for normal riding on the road with soft damping for maximum comfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soft damping does not always mean more comfort, if you are heavy you need more damping otherwise the bike will wallow all over the place.
I am short and don't weight much and as I need to sit forward on the seat to reach the bars I don't trouble the rear shock much.
Normal riding I use rain mode and road damping...... Fast riding, Road mode and dyna damping, I find Road mode with road damping to bouncy/under damped.
This is for the 2017 GS only.

That's because your GSA is now in the dark ages and worthless against the "new" GS which has been updated. The GSA will get these essential updates in the 2018 model year, no doubt with some styling tweaks. Not sure how people will cope in the meantime.

op was asking about the GSA TE as I also have and not the GS which is as you say "more advanced" and don't worry, I will be looking at the new and "improved" 2018 model GSA TE to see the differences when it comes out, to be honest I am happy with my one day old 2017 model GSA TE

Back
Top Bottom