Early days...

Wapping

Reaction score
Straight out of the box this evening.

1. Pretty quick to locate its satellites on first turn on.

2. Found by my Mac pretty quickly. My Nav V takes a while, despite the software update that is meant to make it quicker.

3. Found in Garmin Express and registered with Garmin in seconds.

4. Maps and software both need updating, both via Garmin Express. Seems to be going along smoothly so far. Six or eight minutes for the software and an estimated two hours twenty to update the maps on the device.

5. There is a new option (or at least I think it's new) to set the device to skip waypoints automatically. I assume that you use it if you deliberately miss a waypoint, it avoiding the device sending you back to go through it or the need to hit the 'skip waypoint' button of the earlier models. The option was possibly there before, I don't know, simply as I do not use intermediate waypoints within routes that often.

More to come as I go along.

2017.3 maps installed into the device. the increased internal storage capacity means that, for now at least, an additional SD card is not needed just for the maps. I see that Europe is now split in two, north and south.

The software update is complete, too. The device hung for a short while when it was first disconnected from my Mac whilst it went through finishing off the installation. It also required a prompted restart of the device to finish it off fully.

Following a link in the email I received from Garmin to confirm my device's registration, I have downloaded the full owner's manual, saving the PDF in iBooks.

Haven't mucked about with linking the device to my iPhone yet. As I don't use the phone or listen to music on the move, I guess it will only be of passing interest. However, I might as well see how and if it works.

The full owners manual is also on the unit , in many languages.

One item set by default is the avoid traffic option , I was amazed at the route it was taking me home on Sunday as we have several big road projects going on at the moment , non of them a problem on a Sunday .

I've used a routable Garmin since 2001 and always said you can't beat local knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The full owners manual is also on the unit , in many languages.

Indeed it / they are. That they are there on the device is common to Garmin devices. Many people remove them from the device to create space, probably not so necessary since the internal memory size has been increased. I simply found it easier to see the manual on an iPad.

One item set by default is the avoid traffic option , I was amazed at the route it was taking me home on Sunday as we have several big road projects going on at the moment , non of them a problem on a Sunday .

I noticed that the device's default setting is set to avoid traffic, seasonal closures and other pre-set conditions. I turned them all off. I guess that bikers like lots of pre-set avoidances (particularly those that let the device create all their routes for them) as it avoids them thinking.

I was amazed at the route it was taking me home

I've used a routable Garmin since 2001 and always said you can't beat local knowledge.

Indeed it's difficult to better owners' knowledge of their local streets. Yet we hear lots of complaints from bikermates that their device is routing them bizarrely to their house, even so. Why they then choose to follow the device's instructions is unknown. The routing will always be some sort of compromise between the 'best route' a GPS device can manage and a 'best route' that a biker can create for themselves. Usually the device will win, but not always.

In a trial run using a Bose Bluetooth headset, the phone function seems to work well.

It was much less successful using a B&O Bluetooth headset, with lots of clicking and very faint voice. I have no idea why one worked but the other didn't, though I suspect it's some sort of incompatibility between the device and the Bluetooth system B&O uses.

One odd thing is that the dedicated volume mixer for the phone was greyed out. Then it sprang into life, then it greyed out again. The overall master volume control works, adjustable in pre-set percentage incremental stages between 0% (silent) and 100%.

Just stopped mine updating mid map download as am at work at it suggested it was going to take some time and wanted to play with mine at lunchtime ! Seems to have done the software update though as asked for restart etc as you describe. Would you mind checking your Software version so I can confirm ?
Software v4.7
BMW Motorrad: 11.0
Audio: 2.10
Text:1.2
GPS f/ware: 6.50.01
Bluetooth f/ware: 3.0.11 P32

Cheers.

Have you used the live traffic on it yet? I believe the new Garmin's have a better notification for traffic than the V has.

By way of experiment, I'll have a go at loading some third party maps onto the device. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see if they'll go onto any spare space within the device or if I have to add an SD card.

That's interesting. The preferences I set by turning off seasonal closures, traffic etc seem to have turned themselves back on again.

Straight out of the box this evening.

4. Maps and software both need updating, both via Garmin Express. Seems to be going along smoothly so far. Six or eight minutes for the software and an estimated two hours twenty to update the maps on the device.

Having updated the maps, there is today.... a new set of maps just launched for the Nav V and Nav VI 2018.10

By way of experiment, I'll have a go at loading some third party maps onto the device. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see if they'll go onto any spare space within the device or if I have to add an SD card.

Seems to be going OK, using map installer.... No prompt to fit an SD card.... yet.....

All done, the whole of an Open Street map of France (including Paris and all the big cities) loaded onto the device, without recourse to an SD card. The message seems to have got through to Garmin that fitting only just enough memory to fit their European map, with no headroom for updates, was just plane daft.

Now to update the main Garmin maps on my Mac and Nav VI to 2018.10.... will it fit without an SD card .... we shall see.... I may be a while....

Now to update the main Garmin maps on my Mac and Nav VI to 2018.10.... will it fit without an SD card .... we shall see.... I may be a while....

It's verrrrrrry sloooooooow, I suspect i'm not the only bod tapping on Garmin's server's doors.

It's verrrrrrry sloooooooow, I suspect i'm not the only bod tapping on Garmin's server's doors.

All done overnight.

The new mapset 2018.10 (North & South) along with its parallel Europe DEM and Europe NTU 2018.10 3D all loaded into the device's internal memory, without the need to insert an SD card, the installation removing the old mapset automatically.

2018.10 installed onto my Mac at the same time and all unlocked without me having to do anything. Old mapset deleted from my Mac manually, using Map Manager.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to update the maps on my Nav V (using Garmin Express) where, no surprise, it's insisting that I use an SD card or select a smaller map area. I requested Garmin Express to use the SD card already in the device. This should be quite a quick process as the new maps have already been built so just need installing into the device.

EDIT: New mapset 2018.10 safely installed onto the Nav V's SD card in under 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Where do you see the additional map options i.e. 3D ? Mine simply had the offer of installing on Nav and computer in options ?

It comes in automatically with the download of the map update. I deselect it within the device when its installed.

It comes in automatically with the download of the map update. I deselect it within the device when its installed.

Ah ok, I know the setting you mean on the NAV, I thought it was an additional (non default) map that you had to select. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom