FD oil change after deep fording?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A couple of us went through some deep water recently, up to the top of the wheels for approx a hundred yards, as ya do:D. The bikes were a GS LC and hexhead GS.

Is there any need to change the FD oil after this sort of thing? Just wondering if there is any danger of oil getting in through the breather on the FD, having heard of at least one failure attributable to water getting in from pressure washing.

I blame the girl at the dealers where I got my crf cos she said she had done it on a C90.. I guess there hasn't been much rain when she did it:augie
Thanks

Take the oil filler plug out and dip the oil with an open zip tie.

If you're not sure , leave it on the side stand and drain the oil [wc] you can put it back in if its clear no milky residue,
Roamer

I think previous problems were with water in the shaft housing rather than the FD, water corroding the universal joints.

Thanks chaps.
Will try the suggestions. Thought I would ask to avoid damaging it and also because I couldn't find any oil of the right spec the last time I looked online etc.
Cheers.

Thanks chaps.
Will try the suggestions. Thought I would ask to avoid damaging it and also because I couldn't find any oil of the right spec the last time I looked online etc.
Cheers.
Given the time it takes, I would change the oil & seperate the rear swing arm / re grease the splines - water often gets & stays in there if submerged. its really not difficult

There is a d breather relocation kit, which isn't too expensive, for next time. That said, I've never had an issue

Given the time it takes, I would change the oil & seperate the rear swing arm / re grease the splines - water often gets & stays in there if submerged. its really not difficult

Good advice, Castrol make a special grease that your dealer can supply for the splines

Good advice, Castrol make a special grease that your dealer can supply for the splines

I use the original BMW recomendation a grease called Stabarag, Ieen superceded now but really just eed a good 'anti fling' grease I do this yearly despite it no longer being a service requirement

I use the original BMW recomendation a grease called Stabarag, Ieen superceded now but really just eed a good 'anti fling' grease I do this yearly despite it no longer being a service requirement

Yes worth doing each year, plus you get to drain the swingarm 🤣🤣

This castrol special lube comes in a small tube 30g for about £10.

I guess any anti fling would work and be better than nothing but if you can get what the factory uses, I'd rather

Back
Top Bottom