semi or fully synthetic

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
changing the gearbox and fd oil just wondering which to go for semi or fully synthetic ?

A bottle of 75w140 will do final drive and gearbox. Put 200ml into the FD and chuck the rest into the gearbox.

Putoline 75W 90 fully synth here.

As an aside, on a trip up the Dalton to prudhoe bay last year out of a group of GS's two had had FD rebuilds and
both had had 140's put in and both leaked, mine (53k miles and no rebuild yet) and the others with 90's were fine.
One of the 140's bikes FD which has been put back onto 90's is still leaking and will need to be stripped again.

I make no comment on the suitability or otherwise of the different grades of oil i am just reporting my experience.

If the spec calls for GL5, do not use oil marked as GL4/5. I doubt the gearbox uses brass synchro rings but GL4 can cause damage to brass over long term use. Not worth the risk, follow the manual.

Putoline 75W 90 fully synth here.

As an aside, on a trip up the Dalton to prudhoe bay last year out of a group of GS's two had had FD rebuilds and
both had had 140's put in and both leaked, mine (53k miles and no rebuild yet) and the others with 90's were fine.
One of the 140's bikes FD which has been put back onto 90's is still leaking and will need to be stripped again.

I make no comment on the suitability or otherwise of the different grades of oil i am just reporting my experience.

Mmm I think all that proves Tony, is that perhaps the rebuilds weren't as good as they might have been. Doubt the grade of oil had much to do with it but ya never know.

Mmm I think all that proves Tony, is that perhaps the rebuilds weren't as good as they might have been. Doubt the grade of oil had much to do with it but ya never know.

I see what you are saying about the grade and i agree but I'm confident the rebuilds were of an excellent quality as i have had rebuilds done by the same person on mine and other's bikes and they have been fine
but, i have always refilled them with 75W90 oil. These had had the 140's put in. As i said, just a comment really. Many others will have used 140's for 1000's of miles without a problem. That's the way of these things :nenau

I see what you are saying about the grade and i agree but I'm confident the rebuilds were of an excellent quality as i have had rebuilds done by the same person on mine and other's bikes and they have been fine
but, i have always refilled them with 75W90 oil. These had had the 140's put in. As i said, just a comment really. Many others will have used 140's for 1000's of miles without a problem. That's the way of these things :nenau

No problem, I don't know who did the rebuilds or even if they were done by the same person. If it was a certain person of this parish there is no doubt they would have been done to the highest standard. When I changed mine I used 75w 140 no leaks yet but then again my bike doesn't do much lol

Back
Top Bottom