Blown away...err no!!

oldnfat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now I know this is going to generate some incoming but...what the hell, here goes.

I currently have a very well sorted GSA TC with Wilbers suspension, having previously had a 2014 GSA LC that I lost confidence in after many issues.

The guys at my local dealership have been trying to convince me to give a 2017 bike a go....and liking the Rallye version very much, I took one out for a couple of hours yesterday.

I was really surprised how much better the fuelling was....probably the best OEM bike I have ridden.....really good. Of course the motor is so much more eager than the TC, or so it seems. Gear change much improved, very smooth although still quite a clonk goin into first.

Very stable at high speeds, especially in long sweeping corners.

BUT...and it is a big but...what the feck is going on with the semi active suspension? In Road Auto mode it was a strange combination of what I can only describe as "bouncy" at the back and harsh over ridges at the front. The rear reminds me of my mono PD where the rear raises under acceleration.

A million fecking settings, none of which make much difference, clocks you can't read and switch gear made by airfix. To my mind the suspension is trying and failing to solve a problem that was cured years ago by decent normal shocks.

And before people suggest I test ride a standard suspension set up...I can't. They don't have one and do not envisage ever having one...and even if they did I would never be able to sell it again.

I came away thinking that the bike was over complicated with a bunch of stuff (including gear assist pro) that was unnecessary complication and still not fully developed.

I was expecting to get back on my TC and feel really disappointed....I wasn't. Fantastic ride, lovely low down torque and simple, easy to read and use proven technology and proper indicators..so staying where I am thanks....if only I could get one with cornering ABS and cruise control!!

Glad you have a bike you love. I absolutely love my Rallye.
I've ridden 2 air cooled GS and I honestly thought they were the worst motorbikes I'd ever ridden and can't understand why anyone would want one.
All it says to me is everyone looks for something different, and if we find it......thats the best we can do.

I agree that a high quality manual suspension setup, tuned to your personal riding style is the best way forward.

A) It isn't cheap to have a high quality tuned setup.

B) It's a modification and causes Insurance issues (replacement, setup, premium inflation or reduced ins companies willing to quote)

C) Your limited to the perfect setting, great if its just you and no luggage everytime, but pain in the arse if you swap luggage or occasional pillion rider.

D) On you knees with C Spanners, calculations, pre-load, compression, rebound, depression.... not everyone wants all that shite.

Built to a cost, electronic suspension has to cater for all user weights, luggage combos and passengers.

Point and click changeable options via a menu system (one helmet, two helmets, luggage) and (hard, normal, soft) isnt complicated.

.... and as you say, its stable at high speed cornering.

Horses for courses.

Your personal setup will be perfect, because its personal to you.

Half the riders on here would find your bike shite to ride. Unstable, old, clunky, worn out, but you love it :D

I seem to have a conflict of issues with old and fats post. I 100 % agree that a well suspension bike will always be rider perfect , as I too had the TC full set up and it was a fantastic bike to ride and it worked so well and did many many miles on and had no real issues.
Okay had to mess about a few time with pre load ( remote ) and a few clicks here and there to sort additional compression and damping on a two up trip , but it worked.
Now I have the LC and to be honest its better , it does read the road surface well , I know some will say the suspension cannot read it (bumps etc) as its already happened , but it adjusts to the overall conditions as it senses it and you ride over it.
I understand that it is still general shock set up and not tailor made for each rider , but its pretty dam close and for me it a step forward.
Now for the hard bit , if Wilburs for example came up with their system as a complete replacement I would not hesitate to change it , as this system would be tailor made to rider weights etc and would be designed with quality rather than cheap costs and the internal parts would be well designed allow proper transfer of fluid around the suspension system , thus creating a far superior system , not a budget system ( built to cost).IMHO

Now I know this is going to generate some incoming but...what the hell, here goes.

I currently have a very well sorted GSA TC with Wilbers suspension, having previously had a 2014 GSA LC that I lost confidence in after many issues.

The guys at my local dealership have been trying to convince me to give a 2017 bike a go....and liking the Rallye version very much, I took one out for a couple of hours yesterday.

I was really surprised how much better the fuelling was....probably the best OEM bike I have ridden.....really good. Of course the motor is so much more eager than the TC, or so it seems. Gear change much improved, very smooth although still quite a clonk goin into first.

Very stable at high speeds, especially in long sweeping corners.

BUT...and it is a big but...what the feck is going on with the semi active suspension? In Road Auto mode it was a strange combination of what I can only describe as "bouncy" at the back and harsh over ridges at the front. The rear reminds me of my mono PD where the rear raises under acceleration.

A million fecking settings, none of which make much difference, clocks you can't read and switch gear made by airfix. To my mind the suspension is trying and failing to solve a problem that was cured years ago by decent normal shocks.

And before people suggest I test ride a standard suspension set up...I can't. They don't have one and do not envisage ever having one...and even if they did I would never be able to sell it again.

I came away thinking that the bike was over complicated with a bunch of stuff (including gear assist pro) that was unnecessary complication and still not fully developed.

I was expecting to get back on my TC and feel really disappointed....I wasn't. Fantastic ride, lovely low down torque and simple, easy to read and use proven technology and proper indicators..so staying where I am thanks....if only I could get one with cornering ABS and cruise control!!

Good report

I agree with warlord about the suspension. I have an Exclusive, just 4 weeks old, and from my first ride felt the auto suspension was odd and if anything underdamped, which I hate. Complained at first service but nothing could be done. Maybe it works better 2 up?

However, yesterday I set 'suspension' to minimum and 'road' and thought it much better. No wallowing and generally better than my '15 TE. So will see how it goes but rather disgusted that BMW have an all singing and dancing setup which does not sing or dance!

But I do like the hill hold which is really what made me change. And the motor is smoother and better mid range acceleration.

I agree that a high quality manual suspension setup, tuned to your personal riding style is the best way forward.

A) It isn't cheap to have a high quality tuned setup.

Really? I'd hazard a guess that the money saved ordering a manual suspension GS will pay for decent shocks?

B) It's a modification and causes Insurance issues (replacement, setup, premium inflation or reduced ins companies willing to quote)

Nope. I've always declared modified/after market suspension and never had an issue with insurance.

C) Your limited to the perfect setting, great if its just you and no luggage everytime, but pain in the arse if you swap luggage or occasional pillion rider.

D) On you knees with C Spanners, calculations, pre-load, compression, rebound, depression.... not everyone wants all that shite.

Agan, nope. My current bike has quality manual suspension which has been rebuilt/customised by MCT. Their words: don't change anything bar preload when loading up the bike. Takes less than a minute to do with the big windy knob thing. With full luggage and pillion I'll wind up the high speed compression a wee bit; 10 seconds with a screw driver.

Built to a cost, electronic suspension has to cater for all user weights, luggage combos and passengers.

Point and click changeable options via a menu system (one helmet, two helmets, luggage) and (hard, normal, soft) isnt complicated.

.... .................

There in lies a potential problem. The settings will suit some people but not all. If one of the settings doesn't work for you you're fucked as there's no adjustment other than big moves between the pre set modes.

Horses for courses.

Your personal setup will be perfect, because its personal to you.

Half the riders on here would find your bike shite to ride. Unstable, old, clunky, worn out, but you love it :D

Nope, wrong again (see comment above from MCT). Unless you were twice the weight of the rider it was specced for in which case you wind up the preload or, worse case, fit a heavier spring. Regardless of that, if you fit custom suspension then it's right for 'you' so who gives a fuck how other riders find it, it's your bike.

May I suggest you ride a bike with quality suspension as it sounds like you have a lot of inaccurate misconceptions.

Andres

Now I know this is going to generate some incoming but...what the hell, here goes....

....was over complicated with a bunch of stuff (including gear assist pro) that was unnecessary complication and still not fully developed.
What's complicated about gear shift assist pro? I found it great.

Agree with Andres on that. Never touch the damping adjusters or front preload....remote preload adjuster on the rear takes less than a minute to wind up when touring 2 up.
Yet another solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist.

Haha Ok.

Last 2 bikes had Ohlins Suspension, I know about MCT (good guys), and I've got custom Wilburs Suspension on my current winter bike.

So yeah... ahem... :D

But hey ho, I know nothing it maybe true. Just got a load of random thoughts swishing through my head nowadays unlike my younger days when I actually knew what I was talking about :thumb

Haha Ok.

Last 2 bikes had Ohlins Suspension, I know about MCT (good guys), and I've got custom Wilburs Suspension on my current winter bike.

So yeah... ahem... :D

But hey ho, I know nothing it maybe true. Just got a load of random thoughts swishing through my head nowadays unlike my younger days when I actually knew what I was talking about :thumb

Ha.......well you should have known better then! :p

Andres

To keep my gob shut. Yes haha :beerjug:

Suspension

Its a complicated topic

I am a big fan of the wilburs type set up springs made to weight etc and had those on my first non ESA GS and they were a revelation and as Micky of this parish often quotes were worth an extra 10 - 20 HP

Also a big fan of getting any suspension that you have set up correctly ( Andres) with all the sag and compression and damping etc etc, its an art as well as a science and if you have ever ridden a bike set up it too is a revelation compared to non

However the semi active stuff does work very well in most cases, a computer that adjusts constantly, keeping the drive wheel where it needs to be is phenomenal.

It can seem harsh sometimes on my XR but then again the spring is the stock thing and i keep wondering how much better it would be with a custom to my weight spring

Just my 2p worth

Suspension

Its a complicated topic

I am a big fan of the wilburs type set up springs made to weight etc and had those on my first non ESA GS and they were a revelation and as Micky of this parish often quotes were worth an extra 10 - 20 HP

Also a big fan of getting any suspension that you have set up correctly ( Andres) with all the sag and compression and damping etc etc, its an art as well as a science and if you have ever ridden a bike set up it too is a revelation compared to non

However the semi active stuff does work very well in most cases, a computer that adjusts constantly, keeping the drive wheel where it needs to be is phenomenal.

It can seem harsh sometimes on my XR but then again the spring is the stock thing and i keep wondering how much better it would be with a custom to my weight spring

Just my 2p worth

Gotta say, I thought the suspension on your XR was sublime :)

It'll be interesting to see what you think of mine now as the MCT work was carried out since you last rode it.

Andres

Oddly enough having had 6 LC GS and GSA bikes (don't ask), none of which felt nicely damped on anything but the most smooth roads, my manual and much cheaper F700GS is far nicer to ride every day. Sure it gets a bit wallowy if you push it really hard but I don't so I don't care. I'm trying the new Rallye later this week as it looks nice and may buy one but the basic ride quality needs to be better than the '14-'16.

Back
Top Bottom