Blown away...err no!!

Well I wasn't wrong about incoming...let's face it....the best bike in the world is the one you love to ride....regardless of type or gizmo's. It's just that I was hoping to blown away by the Rallye....and I wasn't.

Maybe I am just stuck in the past....happily.

I'm trying the new Rallye later this week as it looks nice and may buy one but the basic ride quality needs to be better than the '14-'16.

Make sure you try one with standard suspension, not sport suspension in that case.;)

standard rallye with premium package is basically the same as an exclusive. You need to spec the upgraded suspension for off roading @ +20mm

The Rallye I tried was basically an Exclusive with blue paint. Larger GS screen, normal seats and same suspension....meh!

Maxton suspension on my TC was built to my specifications, once fitted the front never needed to be touched whether solo, two up or two up with luggage.

Similarly the rear was set up correctly on arriving on my doorstep , when two up it needed about 2 1/2 turns on the preload and that was all .

No crawling around on floor or f@cking about with C spanners .

My own experience with ESA has been that it is absolute shite and BMW seem to think that making the suspension hard (or should I say harsh) makes it a sporty handling bike .

P.S

A pair of Maxton shocks for my TC cost less than 1/2 the price of a rear BMW ESA shock

I agree that a high quality manual suspension setup, tuned to your personal riding style is the best way forward.

A) It isn't cheap to have a high quality tuned setup.

B) It's a modification and causes Insurance issues (replacement, setup, premium inflation or reduced ins companies willing to quote)

C) Your limited to the perfect setting, great if its just you and no luggage everytime, but pain in the arse if you swap luggage or occasional pillion rider.

D) On you knees with C Spanners, calculations, pre-load, compression, rebound, depression.... not everyone wants all that shite.

Built to a cost, electronic suspension has to cater for all user weights, luggage combos and passengers.

Point and click changeable options via a menu system (one helmet, two helmets, luggage) and (hard, normal, soft) isnt complicated.

.... and as you say, its stable at high speed cornering.

Horses for courses.

Your personal setup will be perfect, because its personal to you.

Half the riders on here would find your bike shite to ride. Unstable, old, clunky, worn out, but you love it :D

standard rallye with premium package is basically the same as an exclusive. You need to spec the upgraded suspension for off roading @ +20mm

The upgraded sport suspension is much stiffer, as it's designed for going off road.

I pick my Rallye up tomorrow and I've gone for the sports suspension option. Be interesting to see how it performs compared to the 2017 model year Triple Black I've chopped it.

I had a 2011 GSA TC and loved it, took the 2016 model out and yes it went better and rode great, the difference at the time also was not worth the extra £1000's but time goes on and I ended up buying it a few weeks ago but now I have a brand new 2017 model and that's also different again, I would only want to move forward and the suspension etc is superb for myself but we are all different and that's a good thing

extra £250 isn't it ?
cheap if it is as that's what the dealer told me but if that's the case and after all the upgrades to a GS then surely its worth getting the GSA isn't it ?

Had a look at a new Rallye with Premium yesterday in a dealers

Very pretty and with keyless and GPaP it was £16270 otr

They had a GSA TB with keyless and GPaP for only £500 more at £16770 otr

I think I would have taken a GSA as it seemed better VFM

Could have ridden away on either for less than £200/month ......I guess

But I'd have needed panniers at £700ish, a chinky mudsling at £25, nav6 at £600 and no doubt a few other bits and bobs to take it ......to another £1500 or maybe £2000 on top

All in all - a new GSA TB would set me back the thick end of £19000, with extras mentioned

Hell, 6 months ago I bought a top spec new (pre-reg with zero miles) Hilux 4wd Invincible 3litre Auto for £19k with a 3year warranty & 2 years free servicing

Price of new BMW is getting a bit salty - but they are selling plenty so can't disagree

But a new GSA TB won't do anything my 1150 GSA can't do - so doubt I'll buy a new bike again as they don't represent VFM for me, personally

Had a look at a new Rallye with Premium yesterday in a dealers

Very pretty and with keyless and GPaP it was £16270 otr

They had a GSA TB with keyless and GPaP for only £500 more at £16770 otr

I think I would have taken a GSA as it seemed better VFM

Could have ridden away on either for less than £200/month ......I guess

But I'd have needed panniers at £700ish, a chinky mudsling at £25, nav6 at £600 and no doubt a few other bits and bobs to take it ......to another £1500 or maybe £2000 on top

All in all - a new GSA TB would set me back the thick end of £19000, with extras mentioned

Hell, 6 months ago I bought a top spec new (pre-reg with zero miles) Hilux 4wd Invincible 3litre Auto for £19k with a 3year warranty & 2 years free servicing

Price of new BMW is getting a bit salty - but they are selling plenty so can't disagree

But a new GSA TB won't do anything my 1150 GSA can't do - so doubt I'll buy a new bike again as they don't represent VFM for me, personally

....and I think that is the point for me. I buy my bikes rather than finance them. Is the new GS/GSA £9k "better" than the TC....and better here is....more fun, stronger, allows me to do more stuff, better quality etc and the answer for me is a resounding "no".

It doesn't detract from the current models being great....just not as good as I was expecting.

its good to spoil yourself once in a while though !!

i collect my rallye tomorrow

Last years weather was so hit and miss, I spent most of my touring and spare time on my Winter hack. £4000 Suzuki Bandit. While my brand new ZZR1400 Performance Sport was sat in the garage depreciating at £400 per month.

So I sold the ZZR as just wasn't being used.

Point being, I was with all my mates every step of the way on their £10k, £15k bikes enjoying everything we did. On a Winter hack (it is mint though haha).

My new BMW GS TB is nothing more than a very nice treat.

My philosophy is you either have a bike or you dont. Thats it.

Really?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I suggest you ride a bike with quality suspension as it sounds like you have a lot of inaccurate misconceptions.

Andres

Quality Post :thumb2

Even I, who's not lost in a rose tinted 1150 time warp, could manage only 30 (very) odd seconds before screaming out w@nker and closing it down :eek:

Andres

Why is he a wanker? :nenau

Seems a bit harsh.

Back
Top Bottom