diagnostics tool options

aeronut7

Reaction score
hi all....my 2004 r1200gs sometimes has an issue....
once ive decelerated then open her up again i get a second of nothing...then off she goes again....
its only happened twice in the last 2000 miles but would like to diagnose the problem before it gets worse...
its on 53.000 miles....its the first bike ive had with so many electronic systems so out of my depth when it comes to diagnosing....
what are my options with diagnostics tools...ive seen them on ebay for hundreds of pounds but not willing to spend that much at present...ive seen an adapter from the bmw diag plug to obd11....but not sure that would work...
any recommendations for cheaper alternative would be great cheers...
also if my issue is as simple as plugs or coils would that show on a diag tool....
theres no warning lights on the dash as i would get on my car...is that an indication that a diag tool wouldnt pick up the issue...
cheers all for any help and advice you give...

It sounds like it could be a throttle position sensor fault (wear to the wiper arm contact). If you open the throttle but the bike can't see it, it won't advance the spark. Worth checking your spark plugs too in case they are in need of a regap or replacement. Euro car parts sell them for about £14 a set of four including vat and delivery (they also fit some Fiat cars).

Hope you get your problem sorted but this thread is of interest to me, too.
I've decided that since my TC has turned 40k miles and seems to have no value to a dealer, I've decided to service it myself from now on.
Have pretty much all the tools I'll need but have wondered about looking for a GS911 or what are the other alternatives, if any?

I have looked at cheaper alternatives but in the end I have concluded that there is only one proper job and that's the GS911

First off your bike isn't obd2 so none of the cheap ebay tools will work. The only tool I have experience of is the gs911. It works and works well but would appear you don't want to spend the money for that. I think there is one other tool on the market but I have no experience of it. Maybe someone will chip in.

All that said what you have probably won't show or if it does it will be a pretty cryptic error. If it is the TPS you would see it being erratic in the live view of a 911. If it was coils or plugs you might see it in the o2 sensor reading. I highly doubt this will be presented as main plug pot 2 is knackered as it just isn't how these things work.

also if my issue is as simple as plugs or coils would that show on a diag tool....

No.

But testing the coils is easy enough and they are a very common problem.

Unclip the leads to the main plug caps on each side and see if it runs on both sides on just the lower plugs.

Reconnect the lower leads and unclip the leads to the lower secondary plugs on each side and see if it starts and runs on both sides on just the main plugs.

The R1200 up to 2012 is OBD2 compliant and uses the protocol ISO-14230-4, keyword protocol 2000.
I have taken an obd2 connector from a scrap car and wired it to the BMSK and it works. I now use a 10 pin to 16 pin obd2 ICOM cable.
I use this for data logging to a dual channel Innovate LM2 , unfortunately i cant run it at the same time as the GS911 as there are conflicts.
I have tried other obd2 readers and they cover very basic functions but nothing like the GS911 which just keeps getting better with every free update.
The GS911 is a purpose built tool for these bikes but will not give all the answers. common sense diagnostic skills are still required but it is such a good tool there is nothing else out there that I have seen that is worth considering.
The bike is so simple and easy to work on and with a GS911 and reasonable tool kit why would you go to a main dealer.
I purchased mine a number of years ago and it had half the functions it now has thanks to the free updates, so a big thank you to hexcode.

..........other obd2 readers and they cover very basic functions but nothing like the GS911 which just keeps getting better with every free update.
The GS911 is a purpose built tool for these bikes but will not give all the answers. Common sense diagnostic skills are still required but it is such a good tool there is nothing else out there that I have seen that is worth considering.
The bike is so simple and easy to work on and with a GS911 and reasonable tool kit why would you go to a main dealer.
I purchased mine a number of years ago and it had half the functions it now has thanks to the free updates, so a big thank you to hexcode.

+1. :thumb2

I was also an early adopter of the GS911 and share Mistacats view. It was an expensive investment but has saved me many times its value by now in dealer servicing costs for both me and a few mates bikes. For home servicing and diagnostics its pretty much invaluable.

I'm seeing many different types online.
What would be the recommended one for someone like myself who just wants to service and maintain one bike?

Bear in mind also that the GS911 is more than just a fault code reader. It can log real time data, test various functions, calibrations and so on. Most owners will probably not use it's full capability but it is a fantastic tool.

IMHO the GS911 is the one to go for, preferably the newer Wi-Fi version.

If your bikes a keeper, it will soon pay for itself. If you ever choose to sell the GS911 you will recoup a fair bit of your investment.

I'm seeing many different types online.
What would be the recommended one for someone like myself who just wants to service and maintain one bike?

The bluetooth or wifi versions give you emergency diagnostic capability
on the road without the need of a windows tablet/laptop as you can use an app.
on your apple or android device so, if you get caught out on a trip you can at least
narrow down the fault and clear the code, if you have a mind to*. If you do carry a
windows tablet/laptop or you only want to use it at home where you can connect
it to a PC/laptop you only need buy the usb version.
The emergency diagnostic capability can be used on any machine without the need to input a Vin number
so you can happily check a mate's bike out without using another Vin slot.
The wifi versions will cover all the latest bikes whereas AFAIK the others only do up to and including the twin cam.

* On the road service capability is possible with the wifi version but only by using
your phone/tablet/laptop browser to log on to the Hexcode website so, an internet connection is needed.

All versions - Pro or Enthusiast will read and clear fault codes on any number of bikes - no restrictions!

If however you have an Enthusiast version, you can only register up to 10 vins for full diagnostrickery .. real time data logging / testin ect.

The Pro version removes the 10 vin limit.

You can however convert an Enthusiast version to a Pro version for an upgrade fee.

Ideal if your purchaser number 11 ;)

ive hardly tickled the capabilitys of mine yet, so its not married to my bike .. but no doubt at some stage in the future it will be

Mart

No.

But testing the coils is easy enough and they are a very common problem.

Unclip the leads to the main plug caps on each side and see if it runs on both sides on just the lower plugs.

Reconnect the lower leads and unclip the leads to the lower secondary plugs on each side and see if it starts and runs on both sides on just the main plugs.

cheers steptoe....unplugged lower coils and it started ok a revved ok....plugged them back in..
unplugged top coils and it started ok but didnt rev as well as with the other 2..
i didnt have time to warm it up first so it was still cold....but it did tick over ok with either set out....
i will get the plugs out when i got time....

Back
Top Bottom