Factory R100g/s

And it's an M Sport model.

Definitely a bitsa, doesn't ring true.

For the price, I'd want something a bit cleaner.

Really, this has to be a joke. The bike looks shagged but if it's anything it's a R100GS where the Paralever has been replaced by a monolever and a few other bodges to complete the job. Worth about £1500 at most.

I know of someone from up that way, Durham..............who does in fact have a R100G/S and he said only 3-4 were made in 1984, to celebrate the early 80's Dakar wins, given to the BMW senior management only

I've seen the bike in question and it's a minter, not like that shed

Check out the sellers other items............

£850 for an incomplete pile of junk masquerading as a "project K100RS"

:jes:jes:jes:jes

Every real clue as to its real origin has been wiped in the ad, VIN, reg. etc.

Smelling a big load of BS

Does have a PD tank to go with it, and the rev counter, so considering what they seem to fetch on Ebay you could probably make it stack up around 2000 quid.
But it would help if you have a cache of bits stashed away like a few guys on this forum!
There is little extra value in undocumented claims as to provenance, put simply any claim not backed by cast iron documentary evidence is essentially worthless

I know of someone from up that way, Durham..............who does in fact have a R100G/S and he said only 3-4 were made in 1984, to celebrate the early 80's Dakar wins, given to the BMW senior management only

I've seen the bike in question and it's a minter, not like that shed
If that's the case then JB and they do exist,you had best get it bought,it could be the forums next 101:D

I'd like to nip up and see the seller
I've seen the mint one about 10 years ago and checked the vin plate then - so didn't doubt the provenance of that particular bike
He wasn't selling that though
He was a funny chap - used to go to auto jumbles in a reliant 3 wheeler like Delboy
He would get obsolete old BMW stock from BMW dealers at the time like M&S , Cooper and Barrie etc, bike stuff and clothing etc
Got some cheap new BMW clothing from him
Lived at Seaham iirc
Perhaps Flo should sniff him out ?
Sometimes he'd turn up at a local bike show or meet on that R100 G/S and we'd have a natter

The BMW standard vin plate rivets are blind. Those are aluminium so the vin plates been off.

The final drive is desirable. You'd need to get the vin and engine numbers to know what realoem thinks it is.

the mudguard,seat and rear shock are from the Paris Dakar which didn't appear until 83, this is an 81 bike so these parts were all fitted later.

My money says this is an old G/S ringer or nicked bike or a rebuild bitsa with nothing more than a later R100 GS vin stuck on it at some point in the distant past. If it was a G/S the vin would say its a G/S (not GS as the GS wasnt current during 1981 so I doubt BMW would use that denomination)

I deeply mistrust the statement that it has had 5 prevous owners between 1981 and 1999 and yet has only racked up 21 miles.....even the collectable G/S's wernt that collectable then, so I serously doubt any of the 5 previous owners would have bothered to preserve it as he suggests....and there are other contradictions in his listing......

Stinks like rotten fish.

my money says that the frame number which should be on the down frame as well as the vin plate needs checking out,

my own one had lost it's vin plate, when it got chromed, but the numbers are there on the frame.

Stamped in frame number position?
I had a R100GS (1991) that had a stamped number on the right lower frame rail (roughly below the right hand cylinder).
Where were the stamped numbers on G/S's ?...downtube, or lower frame rail?

Also...this ad stinks even without the poor grammar/spelling. I wouldn't give more than £750, and that's only if the speedo actually works.....(but then again, I'm tight !)

Stamped in frame number position?
I had a R100GS (1991) that had a stamped number on the right lower frame rail (roughly below the right hand cylinder).
Where were the stamped numbers on G/S's ?...downtube, or lower frame rail?

Also...this ad stinks even without the poor grammar/spelling. I wouldn't give more than £750, and that's only if the speedo actually works.....(but then again, I'm tight !)

They were on the long triangular bit below the plate, that strengthens the downtube to the headstock, frame number and R80G/s

According to Max BMW the Vin No ( which can be seen in the second picture, if it`s correct? ) gives the bike as a Euro spec R80GS from 1981. The odd thing is the Vin plate says R100gs ?? Cant be both..

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51622&vin=6255203

It looks like it has some of the same numbers stamped below the vin plate, I suspect the numbers are correct, the vin plate is not correct, it still seems about £5k overpriced though

Back
Top Bottom