Loose spokes

You're not wrong, but you're even more right than you think:

"The spoked wheel was invented to allow the construction of lighter and swifter vehicles. The earliest known examples are in the context of the Sintashta culture, dating to ca. 2000 BC."

Yes, the Sintashta 350 twin was notoriously bad handling before they replaced the wooden discs with spoked wheels...

So bike in at Rainbow this morning, no more Steve the service manager, gutted good guy.

Anyway having had to argue a bit about when it could be looked at they took it down to the shop. Missing grub screws out of the torx head spoke screws. Never had that before was the cry?

Escalated to BMW?

Will be sorted tomorrow. See if you can find mention of those grub screws anywhere in the user manual?

Must admit i didn’t realise they had a grub screw in the until they mentioned it?

So bike in at Rainbow this morning, no more Steve the service manager, gutted good guy.

Anyway having had to argue a bit about when it could be looked at they took it down to the shop. Missing grub screws out of the torx head spoke screws. Never had that before was the cry?

Escalated to BMW?

Will be sorted tomorrow. See if you can find mention of those grub screws anywhere in the user manual?

Must admit i didn’t realise they had a grub screw in the until they mentioned it?

You missed post 21

I think spoke wheels are lighter giving less un-sprung weight.
My 79 Cadillac has original Dunlop wires. I love them, i even dont mind cleaning them.

So where are these grub screws? I’ve looked at mine and there is definitely no grub screw on the spoke nipple. Mine is a 2017 registered bike, built in August 2016.

Have BMW changed the spoke nipple design? I know that a lot of GSs were suffering with rusting spoke nipples, I’m wondering if they have changed the design to using stainless nipples to cure the rust issue but have a problem keeping them tight, so hence the grub screw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong not so sure but absorb shocks better, just wondering about a caliper in alloys, would it have done so much damage, anyway sorry to OP for the hijack, just tighten spokes listen to the music and all good.

The reason spoked wheels are used off road is because they absorb shocks better, they actually flex a bit, whereas cast wheels shatter.

The reason spoked wheels are used off road is because they absorb shocks better, they actually flex a bit, whereas cast wheels shatter.

Cheers Karlos, methinks I know that, but I was wondering if a caliper could shatter the alloys or bounce off first and give some warning.

So where are these grub screws? I’ve looked at mine and there is definitely no grub screw on the spoke nipple. Mine is a 2017 registered bike, built in August 2016.

Have BMW changed the spoke nipple design? I know that a lot of GSs were suffering with rusting spoke nipples, I’m wondering if they have changed the design to using stainless nipples to cure the rust issue but have a problem keeping them tight, so hence the grub screw?

If you look straight down the head of the Torx screw on the hub at the end of each spoke, the hole in the centre contains the grub screw.

Here you go Karlos look inside the nipple you can see a little 2mm grub screw.

Here you go Karlos look inside the nipple you can see a little 2mm grub screw.

I’ll have a look. That is the area where mine are going rusty. I’ve applied ACF 50 to stop them rusting.

I’ll have a look. That is the area where mine are going rusty. I’ve applied ACF 50 to stop them rusting.

ACF-50 and corrosion in one sentence :blast read fron Snaponphil below he had a problem with rusty nipples, sorry for laughing sounds so well..........

snaponphil
29-03-16, 00:41
2014 GS LC & I'm starting to think Bmw paint isn't anywhere near as good as their previous reputation..
I'm pretty anal about looking after my bikes & use ACF50 & WD40 where appropriate.
I had issues at less than a year old with rear wheel spoke nipples which was replaced under warranty, (the front still as good as the day it left the factory)
I have a couple of minor issues with specks on other parts of engine/drive train, but tried warranty just before it was out of warranty, to no avail but I'm not concerned enough to chase it..

I spoke (ha ha) to my dealer, all they did was clean the rust off. As I dry store the bike the rust hasn’t come back, I did think about going down the replacement wheel route for a claim, but as the dealer wasn’t interested and the rust is staying at bay, I haven’t pursued it. The dealer said these are the unprotected parts therefore they wouldn’t be covered. Load of bull shit if you ask me.

That said I looked at all the 2nd hand bikes in the showroom, including a BMW ex press bike and they all had rusty nipples and the threads on the spokes were also rusty. Never had his issue with my Triumph.

Thanks. My what clean nipples you have!

Back
Top Bottom