Loose spokes

Bake

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive just been checking over the bike ( as you do ) and have come across two loose spokes on the front wheel,:eek: has anybody else encountered the same? bike is 3 months old and 1200 miles,

I found a couple of loose spokes on mine, and wondered if it was correct or possible to simply torque them up without throwing the wheel way out of true?

In the end i just tightened up the ones that were loose, mines done 18,000 miles so maybe to be expected.

Stu

Tighten them until they sound the same when you ping them. You can't torque old spokes as it would be very unreliable due to corrosion and such.

WHAT???

Nobody told me I had to check the spokes when they talked me in to a TB!!!!

:confused::confused::confused:

I also had loose spokes probably 75 % of them front and rear were loose 3,,500 miles no offroad,dealer offered to sort it but i just tightened them myself one by one checking the wheel for true as i went sounds like another Bmw issue begining.:rob

I had two loose spokes on my '16 GSA, only 4,000 miles on the clock and not used it off-road, I've owned from new. The wheel was also out of true, I can only think it was faulty from new. New front wheel fitted under warranty.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but the title says it all so no point starting a new one!

Having read the thread about the very lucky lad on the M4 loosing his back wheel, I couldn’t help wondering if it was the spokes.

I currently have a 17 plate GS Rallye TE, last year took it up to Scotland at 600miles new, when I got home at 1600 miles the back wheel had 13 loose spokes. I called BMW and the service manager said if your happy to ride it in bring it straight in or call BMW assist to fetch you in?

They checked and tightened all and he said that this was the 5th new bike he had in with loose spokes!

Anyway having read the thread about the GSA loosing the back wheel, thought I would check the spokes again. The bikes now only got 3500miles on it and I have another 8 loose spokes. No off roading, no daft pot hole hits, surely this can’t be right?

This is the third spoked wheel GS / GSA I have had and the other 2 never had a loose spoke in 60k miles! (I did check em, every time they got a good clean).

Surely this can’t be right, anyone else had this on the newer spoked wheels, the service manager said they changed wheel manufactures in late 16?

I like the spoke wheels but it is only fashion and looks, impractical for a road bike.

Same thing. Spoked wheels are far stronger than cast which is why they put them on off road bikes. That fails wheel wasn't a result of it being a spoked wheel it was a result of a caliper ending up in the spokes. Seriously, spoked wheels are really strong.

Strong not so sure but absorb shocks better, just wondering about a caliper in alloys, would it have done so much damage, anyway sorry to OP for the hijack, just tighten spokes listen to the music and all good.

just tighten spokes listen to the music and all good.

Might be all good, but not had to do it on any of the older GS’s or GSA. The TC manual says check the spokes and if loose take it to a BMW agent?

3500 miles and half the rear wheel
Spokes loose twice is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Going to have to see whats needed to do it, having not done it before, what do I need is there a specific spoke key
And whats the process?

Might be all good, but not had to do it on any of the older GS’s or GSA. The TC manual says check the spokes and if loose take it to a BMW agent?

3500 miles and half the rear wheel
Spokes loose twice is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Going to have to see whats needed to do it, having not done it before, what do I need is there a specific spoke key
And whats the process?

Given that it is still under warranty, I would take it in, twice is not right

Oh dear God - they've been practical enough for 100 years, but now suddenly they aren't? :blast

You're not wrong, but you're even more right than you think:

"The spoked wheel was invented to allow the construction of lighter and swifter vehicles. The earliest known examples are in the context of the Sintashta culture, dating to ca. 2000 BC."

Back
Top Bottom