Loose spokes

As Im not very musically talented, how much of a difference is there between the 'ring' of a correctly tightened spoke and the dull thud of a loose one.

Does the size of the spanner make a difference.

Anyone made a video of loose and tight spokes :D

Great question because I just got my bike back with new wheels and although the completely loose ones are gone half the spokes have a dull thud rather than a nice ring.

Great question because I just got my bike back with new wheels and although the completely loose ones are gone half the spokes have a dull thud rather than a nice ring.

Think if you lift wheel off the floor they will all sound the same, probably the weight on the spokes making a difference............

From advrider:
Re grub screw 2mm works, but remember that the allen is just a set screw, and NOT the adjuster. Many people don't touch the allen, or do not know about it.

The torque is only 3nm, so barely snug.

The technique is to use a wrench on the spoke nut and tighten it in very tiny increments until you get the twang back, then tighten the set screw.

I broke 2 spokes an my last GSA and removing them was a barsteward of a job because the ends had corrosion welded into the rims. I had to drill them out ! ( I now carefully acf50 the spoke ends and don’t know yet if that’ll help . Here is a pic of the tightening nut with its grub screw :
i-MhWm3Gh-M.jpg

From advrider:
Re grub screw 2mm works, but remember that the allen is just a set screw, and NOT the adjuster. Many people don't touch the allen, or do not know about it.

The torque is only 3nm, so barely snug.

The technique is to use a wrench on the spoke nut and tighten it in very tiny increments until you get the twang back, then tighten the set screw.

I broke 2 spokes an my last GSA and removing them was a barsteward of a job because the ends had corrosion welded into the rims. I had to drill them out ! ( I now carefully acf50 the spoke ends and don’t know yet if that’ll help . Here is a pic of the tightening nut with its grub screw :
i-MhWm3Gh-M.jpg

I don’t mind doing the job but I’m not sure I should have to on new wheels supplied by BMW

100% agree; if we assume that elastic limits are not exceeded , then surely spokes should not loosen . Any by bicyclists out there ?

So...thought I'd check my spokes today. Bike is 2 months old. At least 8 spokes on rear are loose and a 3 or 4 on the front. WTF BMW!!!

So...thought I'd check my spokes today. Bike is 2 months old. At least 8 spokes on rear are loose and a 3 or 4 on the front. WTF BMW!!!

Thats NOT GOOD

Take to dealers ASAP they will check , BMW aware if less than 7 loose will retighten if more they will replace with a new wheel.

Take to dealers ASAP they will check , BMW aware if less than 7 loose will retighten if more they will replace with a new wheel.

I’m sure it’ll be picked up in the next day or so. I’m deeply unimpressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure it’ll be picked up in the next day or so. I’m deeply unimpressed

Nah, it's a great bike, you just got to learn it's characteristics. Learn to love it :D

Had 2 new tyres fitted yesterday at Wollaston, asked them to check my spokes whilst they were at it

All good, I asked them what the problem has been and 1 of the mechanics told me that it,s mainly with newer bikes, last year or 2

They have been using a lubricant when putting them together and the Loctite hasn't been doing its thing because of it

I'm not disputing it's a great bike, it's my 5th GSA. My last GSA Rallye had a noisy engine and was replaced by this one just over 2 months ago. What I'm unimpressed about is the lack of quality control. Loose spokes have been talked about for the last 6 months.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 2 new tyres fitted yesterday at Wollaston, asked them to check my spokes whilst they were at it

All good, I asked them what the problem has been and 1 of the mechanics told me that it,s mainly with newer bikes, last year or 2

They have been using a lubricant when putting them together and the Loctite hasn't been doing its thing because of it

Go find someone else to check your spokes because that mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no loctite on the spokes!

Anyone had any thoughts on alternative/superior wheel fitments ?
They are actually pretty good wheels they are just not built very well on occasion. You could do a lot worse than giving them to someone who actually knows what they are doing and get them to rebuild them or if they are newish give them a good check over and adjustment. Also don't forget, spoked wheels never have been nor ever will be maintenance free.

Go find someone else to check your spokes because that mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no loctite on the spokes!

Eh… Actually, yes there is. The grub screw is secured by Locktight. The explanation sounds plausible.

Makes me wonder if (in the attempt to avoid rusty wheel spoke nuts) the application of ACF50 is causing issues with grub screw tightness and torque settings?

Back
Top Bottom