Rallye Sport - Regular or Sport suspension?

yes, the single seat does look a bit uncomfortable compared to the two seat version.

Spoke to a mechanic/Tech at the showroom, who I have know a few years. He said the bike i was on had the new sports suspension. when left in auto it just adjusts itself and you do not feel the bike raising or the front dipping heavy under braking. this new version of the ESA ,is now the std feature of the GS range. It is also on any lowered model, where as on the older suspension , you could no have a lowered model with any type of ESA.

It would seem that the BMW 'experts' get it wrong again. Since the start of the LC model the low chassis versions have had the same ESA suspension as std chassis.

I think you'll find that's not the sports suspension but the 2nd gen dynamic esa

after further consultation with another "expert" i believe you are correct . so back to my original question a few weeks ago ? whats the difference between sport and 2nd gen ? I find it quite unbelievable that BMW sales exc and techs dont know what the exact difference is and its out there for us to find out ourselves

It would seem that the BMW 'experts' get it wrong again. Since the start of the LC model the low chassis versions have had the same ESA suspension as std chassis.

I thought that too.....he definitely told me the first version the lowered LC GSA could not be ordered with ESA !

The Sports Suspension is a new option which is available only on the Rallye. I don't think it is anything to do with the 2nd gen ESA which all the current bikes can have. I believe the Sports Suspension option just provides longer shocks with higher spring rates, but which otherwise work with the ESA system in the same way as the standard ESA shocks. You cannot have the Sports Suspension without also having the optional Dynamic ESA, and you also cannot have the lowered chassis option with the Sports Suspension, which stands to reason. BMW say it is only really needed for expert off-road use where you need the maximum ground clearance and the ability to travel quickly over very rough ground. I don't know why anyone would want this for road use, or even casual off-roading.

The Sports Suspension is a new option which is available only on the Rallye. I don't think it is anything to do with the 2nd gen ESA which all the current bikes can have. I believe the Sports Suspension option just provides longer shocks with higher spring rates, but which otherwise work with the ESA system in the same way as the standard ESA shocks. You cannot have the Sports Suspension without also having the optional Dynamic ESA, and you also cannot have the lowered chassis option with the Sports Suspension, which stands to reason. BMW say it is only really needed for expert off-road use where you need the maximum ground clearance and the ability to travel quickly over very rough ground. I don't know why anyone would want this for road use, or even casual off-roading.

You need to own one to understand how good it is on the road but wont suit everyone that is a Fact a short test ride might not help either

FFS, it ain't rocket science. The sport suspension is taller & similar to the gsa. It's a bit firmer. All this bollocks about it's best off road is just that, bollocks. If you're a short arse, then don't get Sport suspension. If you're not a short arse, like a firmer ride, and want to benefit from shaper handling on road AND better handling off road, get Sport suspension. Done.

I have to say having bought my first BMW last month the information about this kind of thing and consequently dealer knowledge of it is very poor. The website is crap to say the least, it's the only bike I've ever bought where I'm actually unsure of being 100% sure of exactly what I've bought. I even contacted BMW to ask some questions and the reply was "that is the specification of the bike you purchased" without answering a single question.

I have to say having bought my first BMW last month the information about this kind of thing and consequently dealer knowledge of it is very poor. The website is crap to say the least, it's the only bike I've ever bought where I'm actually unsure of being 100% sure of exactly what I've bought. I even contacted BMW to ask some questions and the reply was "that is the specification of the bike you purchased" without answering a single question.

This link should still work - http://bimmer.work

Just put your vin number in, and it should give you a list of what your bike has.:thumb

GS Ralley vs GSA suspension

I recently rode the new GS Ralley lowered model in Portugal and own a GSA lowered (2015) that I ride in the UK, which I do some green laning

The Ralley was superb, felt smoother, more responsive etc. It was a standard Ralley and did not have the self leveling suspension which is the new enhanced ESA suspension system for experts.

My moto is go for the best your wallet can support :)

At the end of the day these bikes can do way more than our skill levels allow.

Happy riding

NIck

Heres a pic of mine collected Yesterday sports suspension and it rides superb

Attachments

• image001small.jpg
    image001small.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 542
FFS, it ain't rocket science. The sport suspension is taller & similar to the gsa. It's a bit firmer. All this bollocks about it's best off road is just that, bollocks. If you're a short arse, then don't get Sport suspension. If you're not a short arse, like a firmer ride, and want to benefit from shaper handling on road AND better handling off road, get Sport suspension. Done.

A pretty FFS impressive answer from someone that started this by asking a question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see you back on a GS...

Those Rallyes do look good

I vowed never to buy another GS but that sure looks a great motorcycle. This photo in particular caught my eye

2bd03f153235869edb1dab624182ac5d.jpg

Now where's my credit card .....

I vowed never to buy another GS but that sure looks a great motorcycle. This photo in particular caught my eye

2bd03f153235869edb1dab624182ac5d.jpg

Now where's my credit card .....

Don't you mean debit card ? I thought pilots had so much money, they don't need credit cards.
:bow

I was the same, said after the last Rallye that would be it, but this one did catch my eye thats for sure
It really wants to be as good as it looks for me to have traded my seriously loaded XR in for it !!

Back
Top Bottom