New mapset 2018.10 available for Nav's VI and V....

Wapping

Reaction score
Fill your boots.

If you don't already have one fitted into the device, you'll need an SD card in your Nav V. It's not necessary to fit one into the Nav VI as its larger internal memory can take the new maps.

Whilst you are at it, you might as well select the option to install the updated maps onto your Mac / PC, unless you want to rely on the software dragging the updated maps across from your device each time.

The whole process is painless (at least on a Mac) using Garmin express.

Old maps can be deleted quite safely from your home computer (at least on a Mac) using Garmin Map Manager.

Thanks Wap... :thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it's for all devices. My old Nuvi and Zumo 350 buth have map updates. After the damage the last update caused I'll wait a couple of weeks before installing.

Looks like it's for all devices. My old Nuvi and Zumo 350 buth have map updates. After the damage the last update caused I'll wait a couple of weeks before installing.

I updated my maps on my 390 today. I had only just updated to 2017.30 but yesterday's trip to France showed that that download had not worked propely. My device said it had both of the 2017.30 maps (North & South) but in reality there was only a basemap for most of Europe and the route to Dover that I had put on the 390 didn't work properly because parts of the UK maping was missing too. Thanks Garmin! Thankully I had a openstreetmap version of France I could switch to. I am tempted to delete all my Garmin maps and just use the openstreetmap ones, they are more accurate and better detailed anyway. The only reason I can see to keep Garmin maps is the postcode search so maybe I will just continue to switch to the Garmin maps if I want to find a postcode and then use the openstreetmap version for anything else.

Garmin really could do with some improvement with their updating process anyway. Not for the first time i found that updates failed until I removed Garmin Express and then re installed it. So we have a program designed to update which can't keep itself up to date!

John

Just installed 2018.1 onto the NAV 5. If you delete all the excess files from the unit, for example foreign language help files, it all fits on. The mac is showing 7.56GB capacity and 1.26GB available.

Bill

How do I add the new map to BaseCamp from my Nav V?

There was a download option in Garmin Express to download to computer and unit. You'll need to select that.

Hi John.

You do seem to struggle and / or encounter significant challenges when engaging with Garmin products. The latest issues over the map update is but the top of a long list. If as you say you only rely on it for a postcode search, I'd give up or maybe move to TomTom, perhaps? The added advantage is that you'd never need to touch BaseCamp ever again, either. There is after all so long that you can beat your own head against a brick wall, before realising it's greatly less painful when you stop.

If it's any comfort, I've just updated the maps and software on three Nav V's and one Nav VI, along with two Mac's using Garmin Express. They all installed fine, with just the simultaneous updating of the computer and a device at the same time taking a while.

If the TomTom suggestion is a non-starter, your salvation may well lie in taking up a Mac. Bit that's another matter entirely.

Richard

Updated on a PC (Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Enterprise x64 ) via Garmin Express without issue

Hi John.

You do seem to struggle and / or encounter significant challenges when engaging with Garmin products. The latest issues over the map update is but the top of a long list. If as you say you only rely on it for a postcode search, I'd give up or maybe move to TomTom, perhaps? The added advantage is that you'd never need to touch BaseCamp ever again, either. There is after all so long that you can beat your own head against a brick wall, before realising it's greatly less painful when you stop.

If it's any comfort, I've just updated the maps and software on three Nav V's and one Nav VI, along with two Mac's using Garmin Express. They all installed fine, with just the simultaneous updating of the computer and a device at the same time taking a while.

If the TomTom suggestion is a non-starter, your salvation may well lie in taking up a Mac. Bit that's another matter entirely.

Richard

Thanks for your concern but I think you know as well as I do that Garmin Express can be, shall we say temperamental. I have been using Garmin products since January 2003 and have always managed to update maps in the end. On every occasion bar one re installing Express has solved the problem. On one occasion I had to ring Garmin support who were very helpful and admitted they were having a few issues that day. One result of said issues was that one attempt to update my Europe maps resulted in a download of the North America mapping! Several people have reported similar problems over the years but never mind, all is well because you are not one of those people.

Basecamp does not trouble me either because I cannot see any advantage for myself in using it. I just carry on in my own sweet way with Mapsource. As far as I know this has no ill effects on others so in the spirit of mutual respect I think we both can accept that situation.

I reported the issue of the failed update because it was unusual. Once I had re installed Express the download ( to PC & device) went as normal. The maps all worked on the PC and showed as Europe north & south on the 390. I loaded routes I had made using the latest maps and we set off for France. Somewhere in Oxfordshire the route to Dover started playing up, hardly a big problem, I can find my way to Dover. More of a problem was finding that there was no detail mapping of France on the 390 despite the Europe north being ticked. So the download had, for whatever reason, not worked properly but had failed to report this fact and instead gave indication (the presence of the Europe north & south tick boxes) that all was well.

Once again thanks for your concern, very touching.

John

Not working on my Aussie VI and doesn't show any maps at all in Garmin Express. I had to put in a call to Garmin and send them the device XML file, hopefully its sorted soon.

My Nav V updated no worries

Yes some difficulties this time round - 2018.10 seems to be the cut off point with working with the old Garmin Express version.

The new version of Garmin Express also does not operate with older versions of Mac software and will require something later than OS 10.5.

Looks like you can no longer update Maps on Basecamp and Maps on Device at the same time - I have only been able to choose them separately (MAC) I think there is a slight bug in the naming of the files as well as one is slightly different to the other (one is names 2018.1 and the other 2018.10) which means file transfer asks for a recalculation or in my case now does this automatically - will try another download of the Basecamp map at some point to see if I can cure it.

Its a bit of a faff - but tends to be as the installer software moves on.

You will read Wappings posts on other threads about partial loading of maps - this seems to be that Garmin now split Europe into North and South but in a way that might not be logical to UK residents - so just check you have the full Western Europe Mapsets before setting off over the channel.

Sure there will be some bug fixes along shortly but the system is still useable - lack of maps is not easy to spot for everyone unless you go looking for it but it is easy enough to overcome.

Rik

Looks like you can no longer update Maps on Basecamp and Maps on Device at the same time - I have only been able to choose them separately (MAC)

I updated the new maps on my iMac and the maps on my Nav VI, along with a couple of software updates, all simultaneously. The full maps (North and South) installed properly, as did their associated 3D versions

I then updated the maps on on no less than three Nav V's again without a problem.

I then just updated just the maps on a MacBook Air, without a problem.

Others have done the same and / or done it successfully via Windows based systems. Others have had all sorts of problems. I have no idea why. Maybe I / we are just lucky?

My first admission is that I never play about with installations. If I receive a prompt that Garmin Express has an update available, I just do it, allowing the box of widgets chose how and where it plans on installing it. This simple method has served me well for years, right back to the days of Quests, early Mapsource and before. I can well remember years when bods have had similar problems in the past; by and large they have always passed me by, thankfully.

My second is that I never make an update of any sort moments before I go away. I leave confident that a device should work just as well as it did the week or month before. I don't need to wait until it's peeing down in Lostville to discover that something is wrong. Others may differ.

I am kind of with you on that Wap - except this time round the simple things didnt go so simple- I updated to 2018.10 about 2 weeks ago and in fairness everything worked fine - had a friend not told me to check my maps I would have assumed everything was OK - I then realised I had not got any of France. I will be honest and say had I not been part of the forum or had a friend that pointed it out to me i would have used the current mapping for a few months before venturing abroad without the knowledge that i was missing a great chunk of Europe.

My problem would then have been the same as Nutty's - luckily someone pointed the problem out to me.

this in fairness is the first time i have experienced a problem. Just checked again on Garmin Express (Version 5.3.1.0) and I have no option for updating everything together I have only the option separately of Change a Map, Reinstall a Map (On device) or Install on Computer.

The easy work around for now is to have the device connected and then create routes from the device maps - I think the next map update will then hopefully re align everything.

Rik

My NAV V appears to have the map twice after this update. I spotted this in Basecamp so have checked the NAV V and found maps in both \Map\D6210030A.img and .system\gmapprom.img. Both dated the same date and time I did the update, but slightly different sizes 2,121,536KB and 2,192,960KB.

Am i missing something obvious?

I agree, it's very odd why some devices and updates on Macs and PC's are going through and some aren't. There again, there are so many potential variables like firewalls and versions of software used, it's very difficult to get a fix on it. Similarly, the number of potential 'You must do this' fixes probably outweigh the number of problems.

When I connect my Nav VI to BaseCamp on my Mac it draws the device's maps across, just as it should.

The oddity is that BaseCamp then shows that my Nav VI still holds the last full set of maps AND the latest full set of maps, drawing them all across. Yet on my device it only shows the latest set as being available. I do not have an SD card fitted, so that excludes any chance that the new set of maps were loaded to a card; the whole lot must be in the device's internal memory.

Figured out that the two maps I have are North and South. Why oh why they reside in different folders and have a different file naming format I don't know.
b639267bbd9bcb7a5af55938225a11cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom