Corrosion & engine replacement / repair.

personally i couldn't be arsed with the agro of having a new motor fitted for a bit of corrosion, what i would be doing is using it as a bargaining chip for a new bike

I did think long about it. But, compared to mine the later engine had a better gearbox, is smoother, has less vibes through the bars and therefore (for me) a nicer ride.

Not too much aggro in reality.

personally i couldn't be arsed with the agro of having a new motor fitted for a bit of corrosion, what i would be doing is using it as a bargaining chip for a new bike

I got a new engine that runs much sweeter than the original ever did :D

The dealer loaned me a bike for the time that mine was off the road :D

The dealer valeted my bike so it came back shining like a brand new one :D

My bike was due a 12k or 2 year service which I didn't have to pay for in full because of the new engine. All I paid for was the non engine side of the service which cost me £60 :D

Before, during and after the process both BMW and my dealer (NOG) were brilliant :clap

Would I buy another BMW from NOG based on the aftersales experience I received? Too right I would :thumby:

Where do you think I bought my Scrambler X from last December? :augie

I got a new engine that runs much sweeter than the original ever did :D

The dealer loaned me a bike for the time that mine was off the road :D

The dealer valeted my bike so it came back shining like a brand new one :D

My bike was due a 12k or 2 year service which I didn't have to pay for in full because of the new engine. All I paid for was the non engine side of the service which cost me £60 :D

Before, during and after the process both BMW and my dealer (NOG) were brilliant :clap

Would I buy another BMW from NOG based on the aftersales experience I received? Too right I would :thumby:

Where do you think I bought my Scrambler X from last December? :augie

fair dues :D

Can I ask how many of you have had more than one engine replacement on the same bike ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought my 2013 GS in Oct 2015 from a dealer for 8k. Engine had been replaced in 2014 and had done 15k. Oct 2016 I noticed corrosion (mainly because I was looking for it!) Emailed the dealer some pics etc and BMW said they'd replace the engine foc. Bike was out of corrosion warranty.
Just before it was due to be done I beat myself up pretty bad falling off a mountain bike and hitting a tree. BMW not worried about that, they picked the bike up, changed engine, fully Valetted the bike and returned to me. Looked like brand new! So I now have a bike which I paid £8k for and has a 2016 engine, clutch, gearbox and swingarm. It's a keeper!
Customer service is excellent and so are the bikes. Did a shit load of research before buying, including reading nearly all this forum since 2013 and the bikes are excellent.
You need to remember you get a disproportionate amount of negativity on forums because people don't search "my bike hasn't broken down"!

Could anyone help me please.
Take a look at the pictures and let me know does it qualify for engine replacement?

?
5e3f8a818f0e60bfd08e2b32bbcb357d.jpg
be6331e5f8075d627ca67909f0737d46.jpg
3d6b7779a162b5cc74526f045d480d12.jpg

Sorry for shit pictures but I did them quickly before work.
I'll inspect whole engine Friday and make better pictures

I had to submit additional photographs to BMW via my dealer as they wanted to get a feel for the overall general condition of the bike

Could anyone help me please.
Take a look at the pictures and let me know does it qualify for engine replacement?

?
5e3f8a818f0e60bfd08e2b32bbcb357d.jpg
be6331e5f8075d627ca67909f0737d46.jpg
3d6b7779a162b5cc74526f045d480d12.jpg

The final drive looks like it's been operating the winch gear on a trawler

Your engine isn't in your pics?

So far I just noticed corrosion on final drive- absolutely by coincidence, but I'll take a look at engine Friday.
Do you think is worth to go to dealer or wait and see what is happens?

So far I just noticed corrosion on final drive- absolutely by coincidence, but I'll take a look at engine Friday.
Do you think is worth to go to dealer or wait and see what is happens?

It's always worth asking the dealer in my opinion. It's not going to get any better and in a few years it may look really bad. I'm pretty sure BMW don't want corroded engines and swingarms riding around as an advert, hence why they replace them I suspect.

I've asked this before, but do replacement parts not corrode again? I'm guessing if they haven't changed the production process it's going to be a never ending problem.

It must be costing them a fortune.

Perhaps if they built them properly in the first place.

It really is madness. It is not an issue of poorly 'built' engine mechanicals. This is just an issue of primer/paint.

Back
Top Bottom