Corrosion & engine replacement / repair.

Andyram

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There have been plenty of posts about corrosion and subsequent engine replacement with some outside of the warranty period.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who's had their claim declined and perhaps ultimately found a good resolution from BMW.

My bike's out of warranty and been laid up for a year for health reasons. When I got the bike out and prepped this week I found a good deal of corrosion from the coolant weephole to the right of the engine which I guess maybe be a water pump leak from a seal failure, as reported elsewhere.

Any anecdotes, and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Whilst my claim wasnt declined- I received a great deal on a new GS to make up for a corrosion claim.

Haven't they changed the road salt to a cheaper more corrosive alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whilst my claim wasnt declined- I received a great deal on a new GS to make up for a corrosion claim.

Could you tell us what the deal was on your new GS? I'm going through a rejection currently, it would be handy to see what others get to weigh up options. Cheers

Could you tell us what the deal was on your new GS? I'm going through a rejection currently, it would be handy to see what others get to weigh up options. Cheers

That will depended from customer to customer, after my second rejection they made me a crazy offer which I took:thumb2 Because I am a masochist:blast:D

That will depended from customer to customer, after my second rejection they made me a crazy offer which I took:thumb2 Because I am a masochist:blast:D

I have just exactly the same thing for me

took mine back after it wasn't as good as first expected and they did me such a good deal on a new that I bought a new one also

I just received a call from lovely Laura at Picocks to tell me that BMW have approved a new engine!
Chuffed to say the least! Didn't expect a £6k goodwill gesture on 4 year old bike - and I don't even have extended warranty.
BMW Customer Service is Ace!

I just received a call from lovely Laura at Picocks to tell me that BMW have approved a new engine!
Chuffed to say the least! Didn't expect a £6k goodwill gesture on 4 year old bike - and I don't even have extended warranty.
BMW Customer Service is Ace!

Great news and I agree fantastic customer service. Same thing for me, 2013 bike out of corrosion warranty. I paid for the installation but then I got a 2 year warranty on the engine.

As a side note (not trying to hijack) but as it's pertinent to the discussion/future searches, is the corrosion a big deal?
i.e is it aesthetic or will the engine fail if not addressed/fixed?

As a side note (not trying to hijack) but as it's pertinent to the discussion/future searches, is the corrosion a big deal?

It's both aesthetic and a big deal.
But no, your engine won't fail just because it looks shit.

It's not uncommon and there are plenty of posts on here to describe the issue. The corrosion on mine is around the engine coolant weephole in front of the left cylinder, see below. I believe the coolant itself may react with the engine coating which leads or the corrosion. Definitely worth checking out.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 630
Can I ask how many of you have had more than one engine replacement on the same bike ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

personally i couldn't be arsed with the agro of having a new motor fitted for a bit of corrosion, what i would be doing is using it as a bargaining chip for a new bike

Care to quantify with facts or are you basing it on internet scaremongering?

How about a picture instead ;)

c94ef3e808ddbdbe2cd788a05d5e43a8_zpsca9hcuuz.jpg

:augie

personally i couldn't be arsed with the agro of having a new motor fitted for a bit of corrosion, what i would be doing is using it as a bargaining chip for a new bike

Same here.:thumb

My dealer has already been preempted that the minute any of my bikes show corrosion, it'll be going back to BMW.:D

Back
Top Bottom