More electrical problems

Grim Rider

Reaction score
Occasionally I find all the switchgear on my 2001 R1150GS works even after I have switched the ignition off. Have checked though wiring including ignition switch and cannot find any breaks, cleaned up all earth connections. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting sorts it out. This happened last night but while riding today all the switchgear stopped working; no lights, indicators, horn or heated grips. Luckily brake light still working so could ride home. Am thinking might just have to replace loom as there must be a break somewhere?

Is there not a cluster of earth's that are joined/soldered together, hidden inside the insulation, up near the headstock? I'm sure Steptoe covered this and the problems that it can cause?

Try swopping out the load relief relay.

It's a long shot, but it sits between the battery and all the ancillaries you speak of.

Small yellow one left side of front row of relays. It's the same pin configuration as the small black relays like horn etc, so direct swop is OK.

However, this is OK for get you home and diagnostics, but for long term if the yellow relay is faulty, replace it long term with the same. The yellow relay are higher load rated.

Try swopping out the load relief relay.

It's a long shot, but it sits between the battery and all the ancillaries you speak of.

Small yellow one left side of front row of relays. It's the same pin configuration as the small black relays like horn etc, so direct swop is OK.

However, this is OK for get you home and diagnostics, but for long term if the yellow relay is faulty, replace it long term with the same. The yellow relay are higher load rated.

Thanks Ian - I was trying to work out what could be a common factor for all these switches and that makes sense, shall try that today :beerjug:

I have a similar problem:

My indicators/horn/hazards/lights do not work, although the ignition is on and all the little lights display as they should. After a few minutes the switches become active and I can use them. When U turn the ignition off and then on again, the switches are all dead again for a few minutes.

I think I have tracked it down to ignition switch - took the electrical part at the bottom of the switch off (small Allen bolt hidden behind gob of mastic) - fell apart and full of corrosion. Waiting to get replacement part to see if fixes it but makes sense?

I see on ADVRider the guys suggest that the load relay and horn relay that might be the problem. I will test them first and see what the deal is - process of elimination.

Got my problem solved - simply swapped my horn relay and load relief relay around. In my case, both relays worked, it seemed to be a dust/dry connection issue.

Thus, start by checking your relays and fuses.

Got my problem solved - simply swapped my horn relay and load relief relay around. In my case, both relays worked, it seemed to be a dust/dry connection issue.

Thus, start by checking your relays and fuses.

Good idea, but made no difference to mine.

The earth path for the load relief relay is the small black wire attached to the starter motor.

Might be an idea to check it for good contact and/or corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom