Virgin Media Hub3

silver fox

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all,

Ive recently moved over to VM from TalkTalk, and although my speeds have gone up from around 20 to 60 ish mbps, the wifi range is pretty poor.

I've read that you can improve things by turning the hub into modem only mode and connecting my old Netgear Nighthawk router.

Has anyone reading this ever done that and is it better? If so, please tell me how I do it. I've had the hub in modem only mode but that's as far as I managed to get???

Cheers

Probably one of the first things I did although I didn't use a router I used an access point. I don't know your router but unless it has an access point only mode you can't use it and you will need to get an access point. Another option I have done for other people and have had good results with are the plug in network extenders. One end plugs into your Virgin box and the you plug the extenders in round your house wherever you need good WiFi.

I have Devolo extenders but they don't give me the strongest signal. I've read that when you put the hub into modem only mode, then your second router acts as the router for the hub just pushing the wifi further than the hub on its own. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk d7000

Morning all,

Ive recently moved over to VM from TalkTalk, and although my speeds have gone up from around 20 to 60 ish mbps, the wifi range is pretty poor.

I've read that you can improve things by turning the hub into modem only mode and connecting my old Netgear Nighthawk router.

Has anyone reading this ever done that and is it better? If so, please tell me how I do it. I've had the hub in modem only mode but that's as far as I managed to get???

Cheers

I have VM, and just have a cable out from one of the ports into a Netgear router ( its a cable router, so no ADSL modem, and that goes into the WAN port ). I can connect to either wifi.

No changing it to modem only, what's the point? Job done.

I've tried doing that but all I get is no internet connection although it has identified the router?

Do I need to alter my router settings?

What model router is that, the number and is it a cable or adsl one?

Mine is just connected using a cable from one of the four yellow ports on the VM box, into the one yellow one on my Netgear router.
I've not change the dhcp settings on either. It was largely plug and play.

I would always suggest checking that a physical cable to computer or laptop from the vm router (ensuring if it has it, that wifi that is disabled ) actually provides internet, once you have established that, then you can connect that to the router.

Also never discount a good reboot. With the network cable connected, unplug power from the netgear, restart the vm one, and the once that is properly started, plug in the power for the netgear.

It's this one:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produ...ms-routers/D7000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

tried rebooting which then allows me to open up the Netgear set up on my laptop connected by cable. As soon as I try to enter anything it just says that I have no internet connection, which is strange as its plugged into the VM hub? I was going to turn it to access mode to see if that worked but I don't seem to be able to get that far into the setup without it telling me I have no internet:confused:

So this is an ADSL modem / router. Nice one though.

You could try this.

Check / change your WAN port to 'Must use Ethernet WAN'

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000#docs

To change the WAN connection preference:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the modem router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup.
The WAN Setup page displays.
5. From the WAN Preference menu, select one of the following options:
• Auto-Detect. The modem router automatically detects whether the WAN connection is DSL over the DLS
port or Ethernet over the Internet port. Auto-Detect is the default setting.
• Must use DSL WAN. The modem router uses the DSL port for a DSL WAN connection. The Internet port is
shut down.
• Must use Ethernet WAN. The modem router uses the Internet port for an Ethernet WAN connection. The
DSL port is shut down.
6. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.
Enable

I can get as far as number 4 and it then tells me I have no internet connection:confused:

We bought it a while ago so we didn't have to use the TalkTalk rubbish. It was a great improvement

As I've had the Cable Modem for such a long time, have always bought the 'cable' routers which have always just worked.

Though saying that the Virgin router isn't too bad for range, so have you got that placed in the best position? It also often has the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, is one better than the other although quicker, the 5Ghz may have a shorter range, though the 2.4 should still easily support a very decent through put.

Good luck with that.

Cheers for that, I've just looked at the first link and will have a go.

My 5Ghz is definitely the quicker out of the 2, but also as you say has the worst range.

Did you find your range has improved with your Netgear router in place.

Honestly there is probably not a lot in it in terms of range / speed, don't expect miracles, if you can turn your netgear router on, placing it in the location it will be you should be able to at least see the wifi signal to tell how that compares to the VM one.

Personally, it is more that I have so many internet connected devices, that I have always preferred to have my own network backbone, behind the vm router. There is a 16 port gigabit switch just next to my netgear router, and another 8 port in the living room, that is without considering the number of wifi devices (phones, tablets, laptops, ereaders, amazon echo, set top boxes, etc. and the list goes on)

Back
Top Bottom