English currency in northern Scotland

I've never had a problem spending any notes in any country, I can understand the confusion with the number of different bank notes we have in bonny Scotland.
I was once asked in a Coventry ethnic shop if I knew his cousin in Glenrothes not far from Aberdeen.
Of course I knew him , we all know each other up here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
when we had our place in Lochinver up in the Highlands i used to travel south with Scottish money, i went into a cycle shop in Coventry bought some bits to repair a bike for a friend and they refused the Scottish notes... there are shops that wont take it - but I've never had a problem spending it in a pub :beerjug:

Only bank of England notes legally have to be accepted. It's a simple Google away. I agree though and have done it in a restaurant down south before.

Not true. It's legal tender so should be accepted north & south of the border.

Bank of England notes - legal tender

Bank of Scotland/Clydesdale etc - Promisary Note.

There is a distinct difference, no matter where in UK you are.

We were in Englindshire last week, with no issues with our Scottish money, but almost every acceptance of a note was scrutinised very carefully.......

:blast

I expect the biggest problem is that not many Scottish notes get down far south, so a lot of people don't know what they look like so become suspicious. Damn, I would be suspicious if I ever see a £50 note now as I've not seen one in years!

Looks like I should just spend all the Scottish money up in the Scottish Pubs before heading back down ;)

Generally things are either legal or illegal... i cant see that the legality of the notes will make a blind bit of difference in a lot of small shops who don't know what they are, if we all just did what was legal we'd likely all be bored to death... It is Illegal to be drunk in the pub..., :clap and your breaking the law if you drive over the allocated speed limit. :blast

Well if thats all i had what would you suggest i do ? Fuck all thats what, an IOU maybe eh ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking of spending Scottish money - my TC GSA needs a service and it's only ever been done at Dalkeith. How do you rate the Inverness mechs? I've also got a "brake failure" alarm that's appeared from nowhere.

Talking of spending Scottish money - my TC GSA needs a service and it's only ever been done at Dalkeith. How do you rate the Inverness mechs? I've also got a "brake failure" alarm that's appeared from nowhere.

I don't know TBH i do my own servicing and haven't used them. I had the first service done at Keith garage they are good the guy has his own bmw bikes. But im not paying anyone to do what i can do myself thats why i bought a GS911

I don't know TBH i do my own servicing and haven't used them. I had the first service done at Keith garage they are good the guy has his own bmw bikes. But im not paying anyone to do what i can do myself thats why i bought a GS911

I've always done mine too but I don't my way around this BMW yet - next year! I might have to invest in a GS911 too. Ta.

I expect the biggest problem is that not many Scottish notes get down far south, so a lot of people don't know what they look like so become suspicious. Damn, I would be suspicious if I ever see a £50 note now as I've not seen one in years!

Looks like I should just spend all the Scottish money up in the Scottish Pubs before heading back down ;)

Remember the drink drive limit in Scotland is a lot less than England.........

Remember the drink drive limit in Scotland is a lot less than England.........

I've got a few stops at various campsites so will do my drinking after setting up the tent. But good to know that info for the morning after. When I have the full route planned I'll post in the Scotland section in case I've missed out some real good places or roads etc.

The morning after is the one that catches an awful lot of visitors, certainly up here in the NW.
There's probably a slight increase in the police interest now that we are approaching the tourist season and of course the bloody NW 500 when you see some atrociously dangerous acts committed. Let's have a peek at your itinerary, maybe be able to advise on something, in any event ENJOY.

M

There's probably a slight increase in the police interest now that we are approaching the tourist season and of course the bloody NW 500 when you see some atrociously dangerous acts committed.

The area around Achnasheen is a favourite hunting ground for the speed cameras as it's one of the very few 60mph plus sections on the NC500.

Main problem with Scottish notes was in the late 80's and early 90's with a huge amount of forged Scottish £ 5 ,£10 and £20 notes that were doing the rounds .
Once the newer notes came in that couldn't be easily forged the problems stopped and most shops etc and more importantly banks were quite happy to accept them .

Back
Top Bottom