English currency in northern Scotland

kbrad44

Reaction score
As a youngster my dad was a long distance lorry driver who often went up to Scotland. He told me that he had to spend most of his Scottish notes on the way back down south as a lot of times people would refuse Scottish notes right down in the South.

I doubt its the same now, but I'm planning a trip up to Scotland and Orkney Isles in the first two weeks of June and curious if I will have the same problem with people not wanting to accept English notes in the far north? After all at the end of the day it's still pounds and pence...right?

English notes are OK however if you return with Scottish notes you may still have some issues spending them.

I think he is for real, as there's quite a lot of English f*ckwit shopkeepers that will not accept Scottish notes...and it gets worse the more southerly you travel. However, I think the OP will be pretty safe spending any denomination of UK money in Scotland.

D.

Take some coloured beads as they are the preferred currency in the north of Scotland

Are you for real ??

Yep totally for real. I like to use cash a lot of the time and don't want to be out of fuel only to be told "We nay take southern poofta money". Seriously though I don't want to find that some refuse to take it just like some places down south still do.

if you have an abundance of Schottish notes heading south let me know - I can offer a fair exchange rate.

It'll be €'s anyway if Nicola the Weasel gets her way :rob

If I had this happen to me id just leave the money on the counter and walk. Its legal tender if the shop wont accept it then tough shit that's their problem.
Only bank of England notes legally have to be accepted. It's a simple Google away. I agree though and have done it in a restaurant down south before.

Not really an issue much these days as I rarely pay with cash unless I have to. It all card or phone these days.

Only bank of England notes legally have to be accepted. It's a simple Google away. I agree though and have done it in a restaurant down south before.

Not really an issue much these days as I rarely pay with cash unless I have to. It all card or phone these days.

Yeah well that"s just about typical isn't it ? Fuck em I say, if you don't accept it get the pipe out and syphon the fuel back out of my tank, because im not going to pay with anything else.

A pal of mine who lives in Edinburgh came back to Liverpool to visit his mum, he ordered a Chinese takeaway/fish and chips at the local chippy. He offered payment in Scottish notes as that was all he had on him, shop refused to accept so he left the grub on the counter and went to another takeaway down the road who accepted his cash no problem. Apparently the owner at the first chippy went ballistic when he was left with about £50 worth of food on the counter :D

I was up in Jockland a few weeks ago (lovely incidentally) and picked up a few of their notes.

Back home, the Sainsbury's self service machines gobbled them up no problem.

I used to travel up to Scotland most weeks. Initially my local shops were happy to accept Scottish notes but in the end they all asked me for English notes only. I just used to change them at my local Building Society.
Never had a problem spending English notes in Scotland though.

I think he is for real, as there's quite a lot of English f*ckwit shopkeepers that will not accept Scottish notes...and it gets worse the more southerly you travel. However, I think the OP will be pretty safe spending any denomination of UK money in Scotland.

D.

I used to feel like that, but with the number of Scottish banks issuing "promisary notes" - shopkeepers in England rightly struggle to recognise genuine from hooky. A youngster at the till? What chance do they stand?

Are all denomination of BoE notes "actual" legal tender in Scotland, though?

Al

The thing is, ask yourself who exactly owns the Royal Bank Of Scotland ????????

I've never had a problem spending any notes in any country, I can understand the confusion with the number of different bank notes we have in bonny Scotland.
I was once asked in a Coventry ethnic shop if I knew his cousin in Glenrothes not far from Aberdeen.
Of course I knew him , we all know each other up here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom