Portugal recommendations this June?

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Me and my other half are heading into Spain and Portugal for a couple of weeks in late June.

We arrive in Santander on the 10th and have three nights booked in the Picos

At the end we have three nights booked in Santiago de Compostella before the ferry home.

This leaves us with eight nights in between.
We've booked nothing for this and apart from an outline intention of 'going to Portugal' we've not made any real plans yet. I've never been to Portugal so it's all new to me. There'll just be the two of us on my GSA. I've bought a few Michelin maps and new Zumo 595 (it was that or a 'reading visor' ;) ).

We're not desperate to do loads of miles and go all the way to the south (indeed if we find a nice place on the coast we may well stay a couple of nights and chill out on the beach for a day).

Any recommendations for "must see" places to visit / roads to ride? We like 'interesting' small places, history and architecture as much as larger cities. We love the Portuguese food and culture (used to go to Madeira a lot when my parents had a place there).

Any advice / recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

We're doing something similar in Sept. with beginning and end sorted out but, until recently nothing in the middle so I too was thinking Portugal as I've only been once before (passing through on the way home from N Africa and spent around a week there)............. however, Amanda's now told me what we're doing in the middle and apparently it doesn't include Portugal ;)

I'll keep an eye on this thread though as I would like to go back, my impression from my only visit wasn't especially good which surprised me and I've been convinced ever since that I did something wrong/was unlucky :nenau

One area I DID enjoy though was the Douro Valley; quite rural, stunning scenery and dotted with lovely tiny old villages LINKY. One abiding memory was riding a track along a ridge in the mountainous Alto Douro and looking down into the valley. There wasn't a breath of wind and the sun was starting to set; all I could see (and smell) from up and down the valley were countless whisps of smoke from from small cottages and open fires in the fields where farmers were gathered at the end of the day keeping warm and having a drink..............

Andres

RiDE included Portugal in their guides. I have some Spanish touring books, which include Portugal. I'll ping up the details tonight.

We're doing something similar in Sept. with beginning and end sorted out but, until recently nothing in the middle so I too was thinking Portugal as I've only been once before (passing through on the way home from N Africa and spent around a week there)............. however, Amanda's now told me what we're doing in the middle and apparently it doesn't include Portugal ;)

I'll keep an eye on this thread though as I would like to go back, my impression from my only visit wasn't especially good which surprised me and I've been convinced ever since that I did something wrong/was unlucky :nenau

One area I DID enjoy though was the Douro Valley; quite rural, stunning scenery and dotted with lovely tiny old villages LINKY. One abiding memory was riding a track along a ridge in the mountainous Alto Douro and looking down into the valley. There wasn't a breath of wind and the sun was starting to set; all I could see (and smell) from up and down the valley were countless whisps of smoke from from small cottages and open fires in the fields where farmers were gathered at the end of the day keeping warm and having a drink..............

Andres

RiDE included Portugal in their guides. I have some Spanish touring books, which include Portugal. I'll ping up the details tonight.

I have had a look. I have two books, both published by ANAYA Touring, which is a Spanish publishing house. I guess I ordered them via Amazon or maybe direct from Anaya? I can't remember but it can't have been hard as I don't speak foreign.

Both books has routes in Portugal but, as they are Spanish I guess they ignore some, just as we might ignore Wales.

04b35b682f97591bb56b28b13f618a7f.jpg

The Portugal section comes as a separate (smallish) pull-out to the main book.

cbeb8cc99e4c97d54c806eec2d53f7ec.jpg

5511daf0ea03b7b2081ffdfeeda50d36.jpg

Richard

I have had a look. I have two books, both published by ANAYA Touring, which is a Spanish publishing house. I guess I ordered them via Amazon or maybe direct from Anaya? I can't remember but it can't have been hard as I don't speak foreign.

Both books has routes in Portugal but, as they are Spanish I guess they ignore some, just as we might ignore Wales.

The Portugal section comes as a separate (smallish) pull-out to the main book.

Richard

Great - thanks - I'll look them out :thumb2

We were in Portugal earlier this year, a good day we enjoyed started in Carvoeiro, (an old Algarve seaside village not yet blighted by high rise hotels ) up to Silves keeping a watch for storks nesting on phone posts, then onto Monchique a very desirable and expensive place to live by all accounts. Then head out of town and climb up to Serra De Monchique, a great road to enjoy a "spirited ride" but be cautious of the cork tree litter! If your in luck there will be cracking views at the top. Then perhaps head for Portimao calling into the Algarve Autodrome (race circuit) always worth popping in you never know who might be there.
Have fun.

We were in Portugal earlier this year, a good day we enjoyed started in Carvoeiro, (an old Algarve seaside village not yet blighted by high rise hotels ) up to Silves keeping a watch for storks nesting on phone posts, then onto Monchique a very desirable and expensive place to live by all accounts. Then head out of town and climb up to Serra De Monchique, a great road to enjoy a "spirited ride" but be cautious of the cork tree litter! If your in luck there will be cracking views at the top. Then perhaps head for Portimao calling into the Algarve Autodrome (race circuit) always worth popping in you never know who might be there.
Have fun.

Great thanks :thumb2

Have fun.

Did more or less the same route in early March this year. We nearly got blown off the bikes at Cape St Vincent, but had a fabulous meal in a fish restaurant in Silves.

I would second that. Amazing road. We stayed in Guimaraes. Beautiful little town. Also did a agriturisimo in the Douro Valley. Lovely area and roads can be brilliant.

Did more or less the same route in early March this year. We nearly got blown off the bikes at Cape St Vincent, but had a fabulous meal in a fish restaurant in Silves.

N103 into Portugal is a great road.
Baleal Island is good for big beach and excellent cheap seafood.
Douro Valley for wine tasting, and superb roads.
Porto is worth a night or two, you want a hotel with a parking lot.
Chaves is worth a night, stay in the Castle hotel.
If it is wet in the North, head to Alentejo region, and on to Algarve if beaches and very hot weather is want you want. Prices climb steeply the further South you go.
Monchique is a great little town, Sagres and Lagos worth a scoot into.... even Lisboa is worth a night or two, again you want to park your bike off the street if possible.

N103 into Portugal is a great road.
Baleal Island is good for big beach and excellent cheap seafood.
Douro Valley for wine tasting, and superb roads.
Porto is worth a night or two, you want a hotel with a parking lot.
Chaves is worth a night, stay in the Castle hotel.
If it is wet in the North, head to Alentejo region, and on to Algarve if beaches and very hot weather is want you want. Prices climb steeply the further South you go.
Monchique is a great little town, Sagres and Lagos worth a scoot into.... even Lisboa is worth a night or two, again you want to park your bike off the street if possible.

Thanks - very helpful :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom