UK to Alaska?

chuffboxcharlie

Reaction score
Hi, almost booked a trip to Alaska for the autumn. Any tips or pointers for the flights would be very welcomed.
Hiring bikes out there then leaving them in Portland. No idea what, where, when flights though.
Any ideas??
Thanks

Think I need some more clues.

Where do you want to fly in to and where are you hiring the bikes from?

Fly to Anchorage to pick up bikes and then leaving bikes at Portland, Oregon. Cheers

Skyscanner or try a travel agent or even Google 'cheap flights to Anchorage'. Don't forget that you may need to come back, too.

Loads of options and the easiets is way is as Wapping says. Google is your friend, however, here is what I di last year and will do again next year:

United Airlines out of Heathrow via Chicago. Chuffing long way with 8.5 hours into Chicago, 2.5 hour wait then another 6.5 to Anchorage. The Chicago-Anchorage leg is an internal flight so no free food or drink. Easy as you like.

A few of the guys last year used Icelandair. They offer a direct Rekyavic/Anchorage route at certain times of the year but if not, it's 3 changes but well worth looking at their website.

Back from Portland is easy enough. Round trip costs are variable but it will be arould £1000.00 return for cattle class.

I'm guessing you are renting from Motoquest and they are not far from the airport. They are good people and may collect you from the airport but if not, it's only a 10/15 minute taxi ride.

Not sure of your dates but things will be cooling down in Autumn so take warm gear. I've been up there 7 times and even in summer take a heated jacket as the weather can turn very quickly. I've seen snow in July......!!

If you are on a budget, stay at the Bent Prop Inn in Anchorage. Clean safe and cheap compared with other places. Alaska is an expensive state compared with the lower 48 so save when you can.

If you need any help with route planning, what to see etc etc give me a shout.

Loads of options and the easiets is way is as Wapping says. Google is your friend, however, here is what I di last year and will do again next year:

United Airlines out of Heathrow via Chicago. Chuffing long way with 8.5 hours into Chicago, 2.5 hour wait then another 6.5 to Anchorage. The Chicago-Anchorage leg is an internal flight so no free food or drink. Easy as you like.

A few of the guys last year used Icelandair. They offer a direct Rekyavic/Anchorage route at certain times of the year but if not, it's 3 changes but well worth looking at their website.

Back from Portland is easy enough. Round trip costs are variable but it will be arould £1000.00 return for cattle class.

I'm guessing you are renting from Motoquest and they are not far from the airport. They are good people and may collect you from the airport but if not, it's only a 10/15 minute taxi ride.

Not sure of your dates but things will be cooling down in Autumn so take warm gear. I've been up there 7 times and even in summer take a heated jacket as the weather can turn very quickly. I've seen snow in July......!!

If you are on a budget, stay at the Bent Prop Inn in Anchorage. Clean safe and cheap compared with other places. Alaska is an expensive state compared with the lower 48 so save when you can.

If you need any help with route planning, what to see etc etc give me a shout.

Hey thanks for that. Fab advice. Cant beat experience. Yes Motoquest for bikes. Planning on 2/3 Sept for 2 weeks. Only got 1 suit and thats ok for dragon rally every year! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom