Harsh Suspension, Has it Been Addressed On the Newer 2016+ GS's?

The bike's now been serviced and (surprise, surprise), there were no faults logged regarding the ESA.

It's supposedly been recalibrated, but still feels harsh to me :(

I on my 2014 GSA, and some others here, have experienced our suspension become very harsh and jarring. Some have had theirs to the dealer multiple times with little improvement or if any it seems to revert back to harsh mode. My dealer was clueless saying he tried it and "your suspension seemed to me moving up and down so it's ok". Mine does this occasionally and disconnecting the battery seems to reset it to normal for a while at least.

My question is has anyone experienced this on newer GS(A)'s say 2016 and 2017's yet? Does anyone know if the semi-active suspension been tweaked or upgraded since model year 2014?

My suspension has never been 'harsh' on my 2015 TE, so is there really a general problem that needed fixing?

If anything my suspension is too soft but I only ride on tarmac. I leave mine in hard 90% of the time only changing for roads with speed bumps.

I had 4 LC GS from 63 plate to 16 plate and 2 LC GSA and even on soft the suspension did not feel plush nor compliant. Setting to normal or hard just made it feel worse. The last GS I had was built May 2016. Thinking back it was jarring over pot holes and feeling bumps that the suspension should really have smoothed out. That was with Anakee 3 and Pilot Road 4 (trail I think). In comparison the K1300GT and K1600GT models I demoed felt so much plusher and more compliant, especially over rougher roads.
I now have an F700GS and although the suspension is a bit basic I don't miss the jiggly ride quality of the bigger bike at all.

My suspension has never been 'harsh' on my 2015 TE, so is there really a general problem that needed fixing?

There is not a general problem, more of a quality control problem with the software built into the shock. When the software fails it tends to fail at one end of the damping range or the other, so it can become harsh, or as mine did, become very soft damping, the preload on mine also failed, going out of callibration.
That the shock can be recallibrated shows that the mechanical side of things still works till the ESA Unit software on the shock goes awol again, eventually failing to reset completely.
The bike is not unrideable, but, very unpleasant to ride bordering on dangerous through loss of traction through being very over or under damped. Mine failed when on a trip in France, I had to set the preload to rider plus luggage and the damping to hard and I was still getting the pegs down, I only weigh 11.5 stone.
The 2017 ESA has different setting with, I am guessing, the same shock.

The thing is this problem seems to be a rare occurrence here. I seldom lurk on any other forums but I can't recall it ever being brought up other than here? GSA shocks are a little different (just a bit longer than those on a GS) and my GSA was one of the earlier runs. I have to believe the problem has been diagnosed and remedied on subsequent production.
Mine has never been too soft only too hard and harsh. As far as preload it's remained consistent. I only wish both damping and preload adjustment were infinitely variable with the option to stop anywhere, as opposed to only being able to stop at predetermined settings because I would like preload between solo, and solo with luggage. And damping between soft and normal.

The thing is this problem seems to be a rare occurrence here. I seldom lurk on any other forums but I can't recall it ever being brought up other than here? GSA shocks are a little different (just a bit longer than those on a GS) and my GSA was one of the earlier runs. I have to believe the problem has been diagnosed and remedied on subsequent production.
Mine has never been too soft only too hard and harsh. As far as preload it's remained consistent. I only wish both damping and preload adjustment were infinitely variable with the option to stop anywhere, as opposed to only being able to stop at predetermined settings because I would like preload between solo, and solo with luggage. And damping between soft and normal.
Get yourself a 2017 GS, it has even less adjustment. Now there is only two damping settings, soft or hard, I call them patter and skitter.

Get yourself a 2017 GS, it has even less adjustment. Now there is only two damping settings, soft or hard, I call them patter and skitter.

Good heavens what are they thinking!? I seriously believe I'd order one with conventional shocks and forego ESA entirely. If that option is still available.....

My next one is definitely going to be an NON ESA bike and the money I save will be going into the pocket of Maxton or Wilbers, on my older 2011 TC GSA with Maxton suspension any of the mechanics that rode it or the couple of people who rode it back to back with their own ESA GSA's of the same age all commented about how plush and compliant yet sure footed my bike was in comparison with the ESA bikes.

It does make me wonder if any of the development staff at BMW actually try out models with aftermarket suspension and try out different options before deciding which suspension final production models are fitted with ( or more likely it is buy the cheapest available)

Good heavens what are they thinking!? I seriously believe I'd order one with conventional shocks and forego ESA entirely. If that option is still available.....

My next one is definitely going to be an NON ESA bike and the money I save will be going into the pocket of Maxton or Wilbers.....

Good point regarding the cost savings. And in my case I never ride a passenger so once I have the settings dialed in it can just stay that way most of the time. Just add a bit of preload when really loaded down such as on a camping trip. Quick adjust damping would be nice though.

Don't see anyone mention mileage.
ESA or non ESA, by the time a shock has 25-30k miles on it, it's rebuild or replace time.
My ESA equipped TC was going around corners without bouncing but I could feel every small change in the road surface. At 40k miles they were well past it.
Now have a new set of WP shocks with their own ESA system. Such a difference! But will get a rebuild in a couple of years as the miles go on.
Or maybe none of you ladies have covered that many miles yet? :cool:
Could just trade in for a new bike, but an expensive way to replace your shocks.

I first noticed mine going harsh over small repeating bumps at around 15,000 miles or so. It's now at 29K and still does it on occasion. I don't believe it's because the shock's wearing out because shocks loose damping as they wear don't they?

The issue for me has been the shock seemingly going out of calibration. The old shock was reported at the 6k service (no issues found :mad: ), but did not fail completely until around 16k, when the damping locked solid.

The new shock was perfect for 2k miles, but then went harsh on holiday. It's better after recalibration, but still harsh, especially solo.

If/when it fails completely again, I'd like to go down the Wilbers ESA route, but as that re-uses the original ESA adjuster, I could still have the same issue if it's software related :nenau

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject than me can comment. But all I can say is that I noticed the difference as soon as I took it off the mainstand.
It was sitting around an inch higher and didn't dip as much when I sat on it. Less dive when braking, too.
First hundred miles it felt a bit too firm, think they had to bed in. After that, like a new bike. Can charge into a bumpy corner and it holds its line perfectly.
Because the originals were gradually getting worse over a period of time, you don't notice it. Both original ESA Showa shocks looked clean and dry with no leaks. After doing the research, I believe the firmness is due to a lack of rebound in the shock?
The damping in mine was ok. Not as good as the WP ones now, though!
Most of the suspension experts reckon a rebuild it's recommended between 20-30k miles depending on use. Getting a normal, non BMW ESA shock rebuilt will cost around £130.
I had a choice of getting them rebuilt, about £400, or replacing them with something like Wilbers. A pair of non ESA will set you back around £1200.
I got lucky and picked up a set of WP ESA shocks for €750 on eBay. They were new, old stock and brand new, in the box. They were designed to put ESA on a GS that didn't have it from the factory. Have seen them for sale from a dealer in Europe for nearly €1900!
If you think about what it has to do, the oil in the shock is going to 'wear' over time and will need to be replaced.
Everyone is quick to point the finger at the ESA but, in fact, it's one of the most reliable things on BMW's!
I like it and am glad I still have it. Most go for the non ESA shocks because of the additional cost and then say that it's because they need the fine adjustment of a non ESA shock. Yeah, right.
I changed my shocks myself. Takes around three hours. Front is the most time consuming.
Plenty of info on the net how to do it, but only if you have moderate mechanical skills or can get someone who has to help.

There is not a general problem, more of a quality control problem with the software built into the shock. When the software fails it tends to fail at one end of the damping range or the other, so it can become harsh, or as mine did, become very soft damping, the preload on mine also failed, going out of callibration.
That the shock can be recallibrated shows that the mechanical side of things still works till the ESA Unit software on the shock goes awol again, eventually failing to reset completely.
The bike is not unrideable, but, very unpleasant to ride bordering on dangerous through loss of traction through being very over or under damped. Mine failed when on a trip in France, I had to set the preload to rider plus luggage and the damping to hard and I was still getting the pegs down, I only weigh 11.5 stone.
The 2017 ESA has different setting with, I am guessing, the same shock.

OK but I cannot see how the software can fail on one bike and not another - after all the code will be identical on both bikes. I can understand how perhaps a sensor input (or its wiring) to the software could fail but this surely would be easily detectable.

Also I don't think that there is any software 'built into the shock' it will be all part of the bike's electronic management system fed by sensors connected to the shocks???? - does anyone know otherwise????

OK but I cannot see how the software can fail on one bike and not another - after all the code will be identical on both bikes. I can understand how perhaps a sensor input (or its wiring) to the software could fail but this surely would be easily detectable.

Also I don't think that there is any software 'built into the shock' it will be all part of the bike's electronic management system fed by sensors connected to the shocks???? - does anyone know otherwise????
I was told by BMW that the software built into the shock had failed and cannot be repaired, they may have meant that components within the esa unit had failed, I may have misunderstood.

Is the suspension covered by BMW extended warranty?
I know like the exhaust isn't and it sounds like an expensive fix if you're on your own with it.

Back
Top Bottom