How to support bike to remove both shocks

Jamieboy

Reaction score
I've got a 1150gs with ohlins which REALLY need an overhaul. The only suspension place (which google suggested) which is remotely convenient for where I live has quoted 590 quid to service both shocks and to take in the bike and remove and install the shocks which seems steep to me.

Lots of places seem to do the shocks much cheaper if you can send them the shocks.

I have a garage and tools and confident I can remove and install the shocks if I can support the bike without the shocks in it.

How do people do this? Any tips or things that can be used to support?

Thanks as ever chaps.

Bike on centre stand......tie centre stand to front crossover pipe.....remove rear wheel and block up under bevel drive......remove front wheel, support forks as all the strain will be on the brake line when the shocks removed.

Edited as I've note woken up yet.

Get a bit of inch x 1/4 "ish" flat bar and drill it with the same hole centres as the shock you are replacing

Otherwise buy a pair of standard ones and fit them

BIG TIP Secure the centrestand forward to the front wheel with a tie down strap to stop it collapsing while you haul at bolts etc

Bonus with the straight bar is nothing is left under strain and you can "Move" the bike if needed :thumb

Lots of places seem to do the shocks much cheaper if you can send them the shocks.

Yes, because a bike with no wheels takes up valuable space while the shocks are being worked on and removing both shocks requires paying someone to remove and replace them.

Remove yourself, send them (or drop them in) to ABE in Greenwich. Speak to them and drop them in at the right time and you could even get them back the same day.

I have a pair of standard ones if you're interested.

Loan or buy. I can bring them to central London.

THERE is a Liverpudlian of Many years experience!

attachment.php

Thanks for the tips gents. I ended up calling ABE who said that they would do the shocks and remove/refit them for 300 quid which I though sounded a fairer price. Seemed absolutley top blokes when I dropped it off. Will let you know what difference it makes.

Just for the sake of completing the story....

Wow. The difference is almost unbelievable. I just can't emphasise enough how beneficial this has been. Basically got new ohlins again. The ride quality and feel are light years better. Guess it shows how gradual deterioration can be ignored.

100% recommend ABE. Great to deal with and priced very reasonably in my view.

Back
Top Bottom