The Day is near...last minute advice..?

scorp888

Reaction score
So first long trip with the Daughter as Pillion.

Friday - London - Midlands, to take the sting out of the next part.
Saturday - Midlands - Gourock - Dunoon - Sandbanks Camping. (Any good local pub/food reccomendations)
Sunday - Sandbank - Falls of Lora - Tide times low 0802 - mid 0952 - gone 1237, so bit of an early start to get there for 0900 ish. Falls of Lora - Cachaig Gully, - Gloaschoirean (there seems to be a road only one side of the lock?)
Up to Glen Finnian Viaduct - Which should please the Harry Potter Fan.
Back to Fort William - Glen Nevis Camping.

Monday - Glen Nevis up to Inverness - I've just got this as A82, but any other more interesting route is possible.
Invenerness possibly Lunch - Then onto Black Isle Brewery (2 hours?)
Castle Leod - 2 hours.
Up to Invershin Bunkhouse - which doesn't have a hot tub unlike the Inversaid one I confused it with!
Tuesday - Lairg - Dunrobin Castle - maybe no bird show :-( - Castlehill Heritage Centre. Durness
Wednesday - Durness - Suggestions?
Thursday - Durness - Ardvreck - Torridon - Lonbain - Apples Cross Inn for lunch - Strath Carron - Coast road to Sanachan - bunkhouse.
Friday - Sanachan - West Highland Museum - Midlands.
Saturday - Midlands - home.

Which leaves me a day spare in case of issues.

Anything I should really really see, that I'm missing / going past?

Anything on that list that despite me checking is shut/not worth seeing ?

Any other tips/hints/suggestions gladly welcome.

Ian

Fort William to Inverness. The A82 is OK but the run to the south via Laggan is a nice run. Alternatively, turn right in Fort Augustus and take the south Loch Ness road is also more enjoyable than the tourist route via Castle Urqhart.

If you're up near Durness and Lairg the Broch is worth a visit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dun_Dornaigil) and based on your route you can do that northbound out of Lairg to Durness. There's another road that runs parallel to it if I recall but they both end up in Tongue (fuel) or thereabouts.

Not sure what you're riding but stop for fuel often and you won't find many cafes if you have a heavy caffeine addiction like me so a stove and a flask is a must.

Can be cold at this time of year so be prepared for 2-4c temps. Was 1c in the morning when I left last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fort William to Inverness. The A82 is OK but the run to the south via Laggan is a nice run. Alternatively, turn right in Fort Augustus and take the south Loch Ness road is also more enjoyable than the tourist route via Castle Urqhart.

If you're up near Durness and Lairg the Broch is worth a visit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dun_Dornaigil) and based on your route you can do that northbound out of Lairg to Durness. There's another road that runs parallel to it if I recall but they both end up in Tongue (fuel) or thereabouts.

Not sure what you're riding but stop for fuel often and you won't find many cafes if you have a heavy caffeine addiction like me so a stove and a flask is a must.

Can be cold at this time of year so be prepared for 2-4c temps. Was 1c in the morning when I left last week.

Riding a GS, so 150 miles between is ok, unless it's a really nice road :)

Hadn't thought of the temp being that low, so thanks for that! It's Scorchio in the South at the moment, so that's not helping with my planning on temp!

I'll have a look at the other two reccomendations. I think the run to the south will be the way I go now, unless someone tells me it will take twice as long :) Plus I'll get a better view of the monster from that side :)

f92b00193c61b11d87535b16a8b2a8a6.jpg

You won't see a lot of Loch Ness from that turn off from Fort Augustus but it is a nice run.

You can fuel up at Tongue, Durness and Lairg. There isn't much else. I'm on a GS and maybe I get paranoid but there's a long distance between places. Not much open after 1700 either.

Durness is pretty impressive and the run along the north coast is great.

I'm sure you'll have a good trip if you have prepared well. If not, it could be miserable!

Some of my favourite riding anywhere. I think nicer than the Nordkapp run I did last year.

Inverness - Black Isle Brewery; 15 - 20 mins. depending what side of Inverness you're on.
From Fort William head north (15mins.) and turn right at Spean Bridge and ride through Laggan all the way to the A9 just south of Aviemore; a great ride!

Is the Falkirk Wheel too far off route?

It's worth a visit and they have food options there too.

If you are parking up in Inverness for any length of time its worth going to the Rose Street multi storey car park,its free for bikes,under cover and very secure,they also have lockers for helmets and gear for hire,from there it is just a short stroll to the town centre .

Thursday- Durness to Sanachan Bunkhouse, Kishourn: There is fuel at Scourie south of Durness (24 hour card payment) if you get stuck. Worth stopping off at Kylesku bridge (you can't miss it) car park for photos and SBS/ x-boat memorial at the top end of the car park. Spectacular scenery.
I would refuel at Ullapool garage then think about having lunch at Gairloch or Kinlochewe. You can then take the coast road to Applecross passing Torridon and stopping off at Sheildaig on the way there. This would allow for leisurely afternoon tea at Applecross Inn before heading to you're accommodation at Kishorn which is 25 minutes away over the hill/pass of the cattle. Re-fuel at Applecross or Lochcarron.
Mherkin's suggestion of taking the b road from Fort Augustus to Inverness (Wades Road) is a great idea (but I hate the A82 from Fort Augustus to Inverness with a passion anyway !!).
So much to see, so little time to see it in.....................hope you both enjoy the trip!

PS. if you change your mind about the Black isle Brewery, I can thoroughly recommend the Glen Ord distillery tour at Muir of Ord (if you do this, see if you can get the long haired blond lady (forgot her name) as she is the best tour guide.

Back
Top Bottom