Spain - 50 routes - Portugal 7 routes - Complete

Wapping

Reaction score
I'll have a go at creating the 50 routes in Pedro Pardo's book published by Anaya Touring. I can definitely recommend the book to anyone as it's nicely published (in foreign) but with clear route maps and enough detail for anyone to get the gist of what Pedro is on about.

81qCBTQ8llL.jpg

The book's available via Amazon, Spain which is how I obtained mine, after 'reading' about it in a German (of which I speak not one word) touring magazine.

Please note:

(A) I'll create the routes in BaseCamp on a Mac, hosting the .gpx file on Dropbox. Sometimes Dropbox adds a .txt extension to the file, rendering it into text. If this happens, save the file and rename it by dropping the .txt extension but leaving the .gpx in place. It should then open straight up in BaseCamp or Mapsource.

(B) The maps used will be the latest Garmin versions from whenever I do it, using motorcycle mode with routing preferences turned off.

(C) I'll check the routes through, at least roughly. If there are any glitches or goat tracks, well.... have fun screaming at me as you ride along, I won't be able to hear you.

(D) I'll copy the direction the routes take in the books, for no other reason than it's easiest that way. Anyone who would like to use them will need to amend them as they see fit.

Richard

Phew.... all done!

The routes might need a little housekeeping but only if bods wish to change waypoints points (used only to drag routes about, BaseCamp on a Mac creating them by default) into shaping points. I meant to do it as I created each route and then forgot, sorry. Anyway, it's probably not life threatening. Just remember to do it (if you want to) before you use the routes on your adventures.

Are the routes perfect? No but they are not bad, that's for sure. Most of them are A to B. I guess the best way to use them might be to join several together to make a tour, perhaps?

Have fun.

Richard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gflgx1ezm... pardo book - 8th edition - Feb 2020.GPX?dl=0

Phew.... all done!

Wow that was some task, just short of three years. !!
I have Portugal on my list for this year just because I haven't been there yet.
Rough plan is Ferry Santander, Picos, Then further west on roads Arsey and his pals have previously posted/recommended, before heading into Portugal.
Having just looked at map it looks like Serra da Estrela the perfect place to head for.
Jobs a good un !
Thanks Wapps,

Phew.... all done!

The routes might need a little housekeeping but only if bods wish to change waypoints points (used only to drag routes about, BaseCamp on a Mac creating them by default) into shaping points. I meant to do it as I created each route and then forgot, sorry. Anyway, it's probably not life threatening. Just remember to do it (if you want to) before you use the routes on your adventures.

Are the routes perfect? No but they are not bad, that's for sure. Most of them are A to B. I guess the best way to use them might be to join several together to make a tour, perhaps?

Have fun.

Richard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gflgx1ezm... pardo book - 8th edition - Feb 2020.GPX?dl=0

Thank you for your work. If in future you come across a large info resource and want to create GPX file(s) for a wider audience and want to share the task I would be willing to help if there was a way to make it possible.

Richard, please excuse my ignorance, do you need to have a dropbox account to download these routes, as I'm having trouble on my iMAC

They downloaded fine on my Mac, thanks very much for putting them together Wapping.

There’s a dialogue box that asks if you want to download to DropBox (in which case account needed) or to file system, in which case it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opening file on Mac

I cant find an application to open the files.They have downloaded ok. Any help please?

They will open in BaseCamp, MapSource and anything else capable of opening a GPX file.

Thanks for that-it actually worked. Catch me whilst I faint!
Hope to be going for 3 weeks late Sept. so should come in handy. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom