help needed with loading maps onto a nav v

gazza12adv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently bought a second-hand nav v.
It has on the unit,
Europe dem
CN Europe NTU ( I have updated this to 2018.10 3D)
CN Europe NTU ( also updated to 2018.10 ALL NORTH)
I loaded the whole of Europe mapping using the map updater onto a 32 SD card installed in the nav v.
Computer says all uploaded successfully , after removing from the computer the unit starts to turn on, says maps loading then shuts down , it does this every time,
I remove the memory card and it fires up without a problem,
I have Deleted the maps from the card in a card reader 4 times and reinstalled then, I get the same problem.
I formatted the card to fat 32, installed the maps again, I still have the same problem, it shuts down before the maps have loaded when starting the nav v,
I bought another card in case it was the card, installed the maps on this one, the nav v still shuts down when turning it on,
Take the card out of the unit and it starts again with no problems,
Without any mapping on the card it starts up with no problems,
Both cards are good quality cards, first was a Kingston, second one a sandisc ultra.
I tried selecting maps to load as well, using most of Europe and I get the same problem, it says loading maps and then shuts down,
This is now getting to be quite annoying,
I need to install France and central Europe for some planned trips but am finding this to be very difficult,
I have tried unclicking the mapping on the device and installing the memory card with mapping loaded and it still shuts down,
Do I need to remove the other mapping from my nav v ?
I can't find anyway to uninstall the mapping on the device.
Could there be a conflict with the mapping?
I have also done a master reset of the nav v with no change.
Before I contact Garmin can anyone help,

Not as dead as my old 60.000 mile + zumo 550, dead as a zombie in the walking dead, I hope my second hand nav v lasts as well,

There are two sorts of hope: Bob Hope and no hope.

For some unknown reason your secondhand Nav V is refusing to read the card. If we accept that the two cards that you've tried both have the maps loaded correctly (along with all the other problems) the problem would seem to lie within the device itself.

Questions:

Is the device fully charged? It's surprising how many people think their device is charged (because it turns on) when it isn't.

1. How long does the device shut down for? Permanently? Loading maps / installing software (which sometimes gets loaded with maps) can cause temporary shutdowns as the device needs to restart several times to complete its software updates.

2. Can you restart it manually with the power button? If so, what happens?

As the device is secondhand, there is no telling what the previous owner had done by way of possibly 'improving' the device's operating system. Or, maybe it was duff, so he he just offloaded it?

Try:

1. Take the SD card out.

2. Fully charge the device.

3. Do not put the card back in.

4. Restore the device to its factory settings, through a full re-set set. Lots of threads and videos on how to do this, but here's one.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/5pkqQBOE9L4qzpvROpQ1R8

5. Restart the device and follow the instructions.

5. Insert the SD card, with just the maps ie no music and / or other stuff

What happens?

Just out of interest how, if the device - when loaded with the map carrying SD card(s) - keeps shutting down, do you manage:

I have tried unclicking the mapping on the device.....

Surely to get to being able to see the mapsets installed on the device and then select / de-select the maps, the device must be alive and on?

More information required, I'm afraid.

There are two sorts of hope: Bob Hope and no hope.

For some unknown reason your secondhand Nav V is refusing to read the card. If we accept that the two cards that you've tried both have the maps loaded correctly (along with all the other problems) the problem would seem to lie within the device itself.

Questions:

Is the device fully charged? It's surprising how many people think their device is charged (because it turns on) when it isn't.

1. How long does the device shut down for? Permanently? Loading maps / installing software (which sometimes gets loaded with maps) can cause temporary shutdowns as the device needs to restart several times to complete its software updates.
Answer, shuts off whilst loading maps is displayed, it will then try to start again by pressing the start button and will shut down whilst loading maps is displayed, repeat process.
2. Can you restart it manually with the power button? If so, what happens?
Answer . As above, without the memory card in it will start up without a problem, with the memory card with maps installed it will shut down whilst it says loading maps
As the device is secondhand, there is no telling what the previous owner had done by way of possibly 'improving' the device's operating system. Or, maybe it was duff, so he he just offloaded it?
Answer, agreed, that could be a possibility as he sold it without a memory card.
Try:

1. Take the SD card out.
Answer, done this and it starts
2. Fully charge the device.
Charged and tried it with charger plugged in
3. Do not put the card back in.

4. Restore the device to its factory settings, through a full re-set set. Lots of threads and videos on how to do this, but here's one.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/5pkqQBOE9L4qzpvROpQ1R8
Tried this,
5. Restart the device and follow the instructions.
Tried this morning

5. Insert the SD card, with just the maps ie no music and / or other stuff

What happens?
Answer. it will go to loading maps then shuts down before it finishes

Have you tried using Garmin Express instead of Mapupdater?
I used Garmin express to update the software, can't install maps from there,

Just out of interest how, if the device - when loaded with the map carrying SD card(s) - keeps shutting down, do you manage:

Surely to get to being able to see the mapsets installed on the device and then select / de-select the maps, the device must be alive and on?
Answer. I removed the memory card, then started it without the card as it still does this, turned off the installed maps, turned off the device, installed the memory card with the maps installed on it, the device then shuts down again when starting and displaying loading maps.

More information required, I'm afraid.

Answers after your questions sir,

Why can you not use garmin express to install the maps, this seems odd as you have used it to update the unit. are you by any chance using maps from another source other than from garmin.

Why can you not use garmin express to install the maps, this seems odd as you have used it to update the unit. are you by any chance using maps from another source other than from garmin.

Sorry , I used Garmin express to update the installed maps, then I used Garmin map installer to try to install the whole of Europe as I only had northern Europe on the device, couldnt find an option for this in Garmin express,

Sorry , I used Garmin express to update the installed maps, then I used Garmin map installer to try to install the whole of Europe as I only had northern Europe on the device, couldnt find an option for this in Garmin express,

No problem, you say you have used express to update the maps, would this be on the pc as well as the Nav?, did this update the maps on the nav to the latest version ?, or did you choose to update just a bit of europe on the Nav (a part of europe that would fit on the remaining space in the nav) and now you are trying to put the whole of europe onto an sd card ?

As I see it, there are two problems:

1. An inability to load the Southern Europe senction of the map. There are several threads on this, some of them ending up with a solution.

A separate problem:

2. The device shutting down each time an SD card is slotted in

Am I right?

No problem, you say you have used express to update the maps, would this be on the pc as well as the Nav?, did this update the maps on the nav to the latest version ?, or did you choose to update just a bit of europe on the Nav (a part of europe that would fit on the remaining space in the nav) and now you are trying to put the whole of europe onto an sd card ?

The maps I listed in the op were on the device when I bought it, they updated when I connected to Garmin express to register in my name,
I am trying to install all of Europe on the sd card, hence my question about having to remove earlier maps to make this work,

As I see it, there are two problems:

1. An inability to load the Southern Europe senction of the map. There are several threads on this, some of them ending up with a solution.

A separate problem:

2. The device shutting down each time an SD card is slotted in

Am I right?
I don't think its an inability to install the maps, every time I have downloaded them there has been 4.1 gig of data uploaded to the sd card, (read from a card reader inserted into the computer)then the nav v won't go past the maps loading notice on the device before shutting down

I'll have another browse of the forum, I did search through many previous threads but didn't find one with similar problems to what I'm having.

I shall delete all of the Garmin stuff on my computer again, (done this once already)
I shall reinstall it all again, I shall from at the memory card again and try reinstalling the maps,
Another silly question, how can I remove the existing mapping on the device, I should imagine I won't need that if I can finally install the whole of Europe on the card and make it work?
Thanks for the ideas so far,

The maps I listed in the op were on the device when I bought it, they updated when I connected to Garmin express to register in my name,
I am trying to install all of Europe on the sd card, hence my question about having to remove earlier maps to make this work,

if the maps updated on the unit why do you need to put them onto an sd card, and if they are indeed on the unit you can not have them on the sd card as well at least not with the same naming format.
Or are you trying to put the north and south onto the sd card while infact you already have the north on the unit, in wich case you only need to put the south on the card.
There is no need to remove the earlier maps from the unit, you can just rename them to something nondescript like map1 but remember what they are named just incase you want to name them back to original, you will know which files are the map files they will be the largest, also there is no need to rename the 3d.img file, its not a map.

Are the latest maps 2018.10 split into two parts NORTH/SOUTH Europe?
On my device (NAV 5) it only shows one version of maps installed NT Europe 2018.10 and the 3d maps. Should I also have NORTH and SOUTH maps showing?

Ian

I had pretty much the same problem,
I have registered my device on my garmin, using express for updates,
Using mac with no issues previously the update only loaded europe north, re load failed,
Tried re installing express, master re set, loading south on to sd no joy,

Ended up borrowing a windows laptop and loading express, formatted the sd card clean,
It worked perfectly,full europe now working,, maps loaded to the sd
north and south are now split, plus 3D on the 2018.10 version all in one update,
This method was used by a fellow tosser posted on another thread,

It just seems to be the nav v, i updated other garmins to full europe no issues on my mac that wouldnt work on the nav v ??

Roamer

Well thatt was a waste of a Saturday night,
I removed Garmin express, base camp and the map installer and all the components from the pc (windows)
Re installed express and base camp mapping with map installer to the pc, all good,
Set to upload all of Europe to the sd card again after formatting it to fat32 , all uploaded successfully, (card is in device, I've not selected the card for installation it just appears to do this for me as it says the unit plus sd card)
Disconnect from computer, press start, displays maps loading, then shuts down yet again,
After trying to start about 10 times I take the back off remove the memory card and it starts up just fine,
Still no southern Europe maps,

if the maps updated on the unit why do you need to put them onto an sd card, and if they are indeed on the unit you can not have them on the sd card as well at least not with the same naming format.
Or are you trying to put the north and south onto the sd card while infact you already have the north on the unit, in wich case you only need to put the south on the card.
There is no need to remove the earlier maps from the unit, you can just rename them to something nondescript like map1 but remember what they are named just incase you want to name them back to original, you will know which files are the map files they will be the largest, also there is no need to rename the 3d.img file, its not a map.
I'm at a loss how to do this, where can I find just the south of Europe to install?,
When I go from base camp to map install its only giving me the option of all of Europe to install or custom install where I select the tiles that I can install, this is why I wondered if I can delete the north of Europe maps to install the who!e of Europe in one hit on the sd card.

Are the latest maps 2018.10 split into two parts NORTH/SOUTH Europe?
On my device (NAV 5) it only shows one version of maps installed NT Europe 2018.10 and the 3d maps. Should I also have NORTH and SOUTH maps showing?

Ian

I had pretty much the same problem,
I have registered my device on my garmin, using express for updates,
Using mac with no issues previously the update only loaded europe north, re load failed,
Tried re installing express, master re set, loading south on to sd no joy,

Ended up borrowing a windows laptop and loading express, formatted the sd card clean,
It worked perfectly,full europe now working,, maps loaded to the sd
north and south are now split, plus 3D on the 2018.10 version all in one update,
This method was used by a fellow tosser posted on another thread,

It just seems to be the nav v, i updated other garmins to full europe no issues on my mac that wouldnt work on the nav v ??

Roamer
I'm not getting an option to install south of Europe maps,
In map installer it offers what I've stated above,
The device has the following installed,
Europe DEM

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 3D

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 ALL NORTH,

I'm assuming this means it had 3D for the whole of Europe, but only mapping for the north, ???
I'm not sure what the DEM is?

Can I remove the mapping to the north of Europe?
I wonder if this is causing the conflict as said above,

(Quote)
I'm assuming this means it had 3D for the whole of Europe, but only mapping for the north. That is correct, but its not a map, it contains the 3d image info for the buildings and the likes.
(Quote)
I'm not sure what the DEM is? DEM (Digital Elevation Model)
(Quote)
Can I remove the mapping to the north of Europe? There is no need, as said above just change its name, you would need to go into the nav drive and find the gmapsupp.img it will be the biggest file and change its name to something like this gmapsuppmap.img.

But before you do anything like renaming the maps i would try and find out what you actually have on the pc and on the nav,

What maps do you have installed on the pc, what actually shows up in basecamp when go to maps at the top of the window.
how big is the actual map installed on the nav, explore the nav drive on the pc and find the size of the gmapsupp,img file

This thread is now going all over the place.

If you want to post me your Nav V, along with one brand new (still in its packet) decent make SD card of say 16gb, I'll have a go at installing your maps for you from my Mac. I have done three, so I'm prepared to have a crack at another.

Failing that, I am happy to sell you a Nav V, fully functional with the latest Europe North and Europe South maps, fully installed on its SD card and functioning.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom