595 Miles of wire...

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just bought a 595lm and installed it yesterday, wired to the factory sat nav connector on my gsa.
We'll, I say installed...
Given that I don't use any of the audio functions of the unit (not even the navigation audio), I've got an awful lot of spare cable on the wiring harness to stash somewhere and I'm not entirely happy with what I ended up with.

What do people do with the miles of surplus cable? I'm half tempted to just cut them all off but then I'd be stuffed if I ever had to do a warranty return.

Side panels off, ( I dismantled the left side ) cable tie all the spare wires up leaving the usb exposed tucked in the clutch gubbins then position them on the fuel tank and reassemble . Mines a 2013 GSa should have mentioned that at the start. I can post a few pictures soon as I will be removing mine from the bike . Just on the off chance I will have a Touratech lockable mount that fits the 595Lm and Garmin 590Lm sat nav with all the bits and bobs available if you know anybody interested late May I bought it from Nippy's for about £120 the mount not the nav and would be willing to split.

I'm in the same position as you Matt. In the end I just cut off all the cables I didn't need and then coiled up and cable tied the excess of power lead and hid it out of the way.

At then end of the day, if you need it all for any reason then buy a new cable. Not ideal but that's what I went with. It's a shame that Garmin don't do a 'power only' cable.

Andres

I've just bought a 595lm and installed it yesterday, wired to the factory sat nav connector on my gsa.
Given that I don't use any of the audio functions of the unit (not even the navigation audio), I've got an awful lot of spare cable on the wiring harness to stash somewhere and I'm not entirely happy with what I ended up with.

What do people do with the miles of surplus cable? I'm half tempted to just cut them all off but then I'd be stuffed if I ever had to do a warranty return.

No sound? Good man!

No need to cut the wires off.

Just loop up the slack wires, cable tie them around and bundle away / secure somewhere neatly. You'll find somewhere, I'm sure.

Thanks - I'll look into stashing the spare stuff behind the side panel.

Potentially interested in the mount - let me know when you're selling :thumb

Will do Matt, should be available 27th May but will pm you before posting in the for sale section . Looking for around £65 posted.

Will do Matt, should be available 27th May but will pm you before posting in the for sale section . Looking for around £65 posted.

Great - I'll have it. I'm going abroad on the bike mid June so the timing is good. Pm me when you're ready.
Cheers Matt

I'm in the same position as you Matt. In the end I just cut off all the cables I didn't need and then coiled up and cable tied the excess of power lead and hid it out of the way.

At then end of the day, if you need it all for any reason then buy a new cable. Not ideal but that's what I went with. It's a shame that Garmin don't do a 'power only' cable.

Andres

I've just remembered that my side panels are full of spare AF-XIED cable - think I might just end up cutting off the spare like you. I think the old mounts were better where the extra cables plugged into the mount.

Back
Top Bottom