K1200RS Brakes

Duncan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need some advice please.

I've just taken my new (to me) 1998 K1200RS out and the front brake seems really lacking in bite, I needed to pull 2 or 3 times to feel confidence in the brake. It certainly stops the bike but comes back almost to the bar before feeling really effective, improving after a couple of pulls on the lever (each application).

It's just had a full service including pads, fluid and braided hoses. Are they all like this or is this an issue due to bleeding? I hear that's harder with the ABS system?

I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5198.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 197
I have a '99 K1200LT, I'm guessing the brake set up is very similar. The ABS on these is easier to bleed than the later models. I've recently changed to braided lines as well and easy pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get full pressure at the lever/pedal. Have you bled the system at the ABS unit? There are separate bleed nipples for front and rear. Make sure you do those first before moving on to the calipers. I also have a thing about using good quality brake fluid, eg Castrol it seems thicker than the cheap stuff and gives better feel and pressure at the levers.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I didn't actually do it myself, I'm going to ask the mechanic to take another look as I'm sure it's not right...

Does sound like some air still in system - check has been bled at abs unit; also may be worth putting a cable tie around the brake lever and leaving overnight, always seemed to sort my K1200RS brakes out.

When you do the cable tie thing, arrange steering so the line from hose to reservoir is continually upward steering turned left.

Back
Top Bottom