Numb hand...

Mine is not what I'd call a smooth engine though I don't believe it's especially bad.
The Power Commander filled the 4000 to 5000 revs flat spot but only marginally improved vibration.
Balancing throttle bodies improved pulling away in town traffic but nothing I could detect once rolling along.
The Rox risers had a big effect and the heavy lead end weights about the same again. I still want better for long runs (100 + miles) but it's far more manageable.
I think the improved (for me) grip sweep angle has also been worthwhile. My palms now sit across the grips rather than most of the weight on the outside edge of palms.
I tried grip puppies but for me they were too fat.
I'd love to try bars with the straights under the grips and switches made from solid steel. But I don't fancy chopping up a pair that cost £80 on a whim.

numb hand

i had the same on my tc when i first got it-was going to get rid- tried a few things .grip puppies best mod followed by throttle lock ,moved bars a bit an the seat height -all seemed to make a small difference that added to me keeping the bike .it also seemed to get better with miles. the grip puppies made it better by larger grips and the throttle lock gives you a bit of a break that can get circulation going again .but it might be me being an old c@nt:rob

One ride with one sore hand and you are reconfiguring your bike???!!! FFS This is nuts. I'll bet you slept on your hand.

LOL, a busted C5 and compressed disc on C6, is the main cause, and it's a daily driver ;)

:D

I was a long distance bike courier in the mid-80s to 90s i rode quit a few K100s as they where the best workhorse of the day! I averaged about 2000 miles a week and I had this problem a lot, since then iv had Jap bikes with no problems at all!, now I have bought a 04 R1200GS, love the Bike, But back to num right-hand syndrome, These bikes are big twin tourers, and i would expect a bit of vibration. but This is ridiculous! it a modern BMW, not only that all the screws/bolts around the filler cap and on the handle bars keep coming loose, I'm not at all impressed. I don't go for the body and clothes theory, it just sounds a very expensive trial and error fix. I will look into the carbs/ injection theory, but my bike has full BMW, service History, and had a full service just before I bought it, I have chatted to BMW , and they say it is a known problem, and that the handlebars were rubber mounted and that they changed them to solid mount, as which are as mine, I'm going to try the anti vibration grips, but this won't help the screws and bolts coming loose, again, Or maybe go back to a decent Jap adventure Tourer,. I just can't ride this bike long distances across Europe, with this inherent Problem. Gutted!

Went out for a run across the counties today, about 60 miles all in :)

Within a couple of miles my Right hand is numb.

Flexing the fingers, releasing the grip / changing grip etc bring s the feeling back, but its

short lived... and it means I'm dropping off throttle all the time

Solution 1 is cruise control,

That way i can just grip the bar not the grip and twist i have to do now.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I did think of grip puppies, but not sure as to there effectiveness

The LH is fine, feel a little bit of vibration, but nothing else,

clutch operation is ok unless i have to keep it held in.

the new levers have helped.

Mart

My Triumph Explorer used to give me pins and needless in my hands.

Try slacking off all the engine mounts, ride around a car park lefthand/ righthand circles for a couple of minutes, then whilst engine running, on centre stand, retorque the bolts.

Worked on my SP1, and is inexpensive to try !

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I'd be looking to sort out my hand before spending time on the bike. What you describe is not normal after such a short riding time. +1 for BT

I'd suggest getting checked out for Carpel Tunnel issues. Go see yer GP, get them to send you for the conductivity test they do. Had my left hand done about 4-5yrs back, right hand being done on Wednesday, 6weeks off work though:eek::eek:, for me anyway(manual trade).

I'd suggest getting checked out for Carpel Tunnel issues. Go see yer GP, get them to send you for the conductivity test they do. Had my left hand done about 4-5yrs back, right hand being done on Wednesday, 6weeks off work though:eek::eek:, for me anyway(manual trade).

Carpal tunnel is basic stuff:)

I fractured my C5, & pushed the disk of C6 into the spinal cord. & Compressed the nerve branches coming out of C5/6

so carpal tunnel is the least of my worries :)

I have grip puppies on for tomorrow, and i have aligned the bars, to make the levers be on the same plane as my arms.

Lets see what happens.

I'm not to sure about the grip puppies, they take a grippable bar, and potentially make it a tad harder to hold

As i say I'll know more tomorrow

Mart

The Carpal Tunnel operation is often seen to fail. But its actually not a bad procedure if that's what you really need. The snag is poor testing and diagnosis before getting the knives out. You'll get the same symptoms with a neck like @Sanat-2512 has. Nerve conduction tests will come out negative because the nerve outside the root is ok and they can't what a needle into your spinal cord to check that end of the equation.

Upper crossed posture often causes problems with nerves into arms http://www.muscleimbalancesyndromes.com/janda-syndromes/upper-crossed-syndrome/

Add that to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and you'll add shoulder pains and weak hand grip to the list. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/home/ovc-20237878 Surgery can be used for this but its risky [ snick the radial nerve and you'll have no use of the affected hand. It's better to sort out the posture and cervcal spine mobility before going for the big risky stuff.

My job is to help re educate the body to sort out what is not moving as it should, encourage normal posture and encourage the person to do his stretches and exercises. I have a friend with restricted spinal canal in most of his neck. Last time I did some work on him he said he could feel his feet better than before.

Motorcyclists often suffer one or both of TOS and UCS partly riding posture and partly wind pressure.

numb hands

hi sanat just read your post- i have the same thing -shattered c5 and compressed discs -have had several bikes that make numb hands -neck spasms etc worse ,the bms vibes seem better for me as they are not high frequency as the fours-changing the trail tyres for pr4 made it better as did the grip puppies and with a throttle lock i can rest my hand . i also had the throttles balanced and it all helped a bit- i get worse numb hands on my mountain bike due to the tyres -i tested the lc and it was alot better but cant afford the cash to change

Chiropractic worked so well for my neck issue that I changed careers and did the training. 5 years was bit extreme but that's how it is.

Can we get back to the point Here! This, not a physical problem, its to do with the Bike, Physical problems with your body don't make screws nuts and bolts come loose, Now iv read quite a bit about The final drive not being set up Quite right! and causing vibration on and around the foot rests. However, My problem is traveling from somewhere to the throttle, Coursing a Numb hand, Which makes a bigger problem, if the bike is falling apart IE screws and bolts coming loose, Which in turn is quite a safety issue. when you think about it.! anyway i haven't owned the bike long, so I'm going to take it for a proper service and get theEngine mounts checked out, and the injection and spark plugs balanced, and see if this helps, And then report back to this thread. I'm sorry about hearing about Hand arms and neck Problems, But i really think you should get your bikes checked too,

Ok, problem solved, well mine at liest, after a lot of research, I have cured my numb hand problem! and a very cheap fix too, although a very expensive exploratory journey, its all turned out to be the rubber dust covers on the vacuum pipes on the throttle body's, where ever so slightly perished, not enough to notice without pulling them off. Six quid from our friends at motor works, PS not an add. Well worth a try before you get into a lot of expensive servicing.

Can we get back to the point Here! This, not a physical problem, its to do with the Bike, Physical problems with your body don't make screws nuts and bolts come loose, Now iv read quite a bit about The final drive not being set up Quite right! and causing vibration on and around the foot rests. However, My problem is traveling from somewhere to the throttle, Coursing a Numb hand, Which makes a bigger problem, if the bike is falling apart IE screws and bolts coming loose, Which in turn is quite a safety issue. when you think about it.! anyway i haven't owned the bike long, so I'm going to take it for a proper service and get theEngine mounts checked out, and the injection and spark plugs balanced, and see if this helps, And then report back to this thread. I'm sorry about hearing about Hand arms and neck Problems, But i really think you should get your bikes checked too,

My bike used to cause pain in my thumb joints. Replacing the OEM handlebar and fitting Renthals (any brand would do) with normal sweep angle solved the problem. BMW like their riders to sit bolt upright and have their hands folded outwards at the wrists. Normal aftermarket bars solve the hand/wrist angle. I went for low rise Renthals with risers. That gave me a similar grip height to OEM but more adjustability to move the bars forwards or backwards. Bar pullbacks are often not better.

Mine lost one of it's lower rear frame mounting bolts at the engine mount. I have no idea how long it was missing. :eek:
Replacing it made zero difference to vibration through footpegs or handlebars. I now check them regularly !!!

Balancing the throttle bodies improved low revs smoothness (e.g. pulling away from standstill) but made no difference at speed.

Having a spark coil fail made the engine feel lumpy on transmission but no difference on handlebars vibration.

Filling the bars with lead shot and fitting bigger end weights (50mm dia x 40mm long lead filled) had the best effect on vibrations

I had an early TC, which ran really well, but after a technical campaign/recall to have a camshaft reluctor?? changed, my hands were numb after 20 or so miles, I knew something was wrong with the bike and ended up taking it to another dealer, and on hearing the bike driving in to the workshop their technician said the timing was one or two teeth out. I traded the bike in so i don't know how it ran after they rectified it. The guy actually said he could smell the timing was out from the exhaust fumes. I don't know who looks after your bike but it might be worth it to find a top technician and get him to give your bike the once over just to rule any mechanical issues out. That's if the grip puppies don't help, I've got them on my 2011 TC, and really like them, good luck :thumby:

Numb hand

I had a full service done, with particular attention to balancing the throttle body"s By a very good bike garage near me, their main mechanic really knows his BMW:s and is BMW trained, It was him that suggested checking out the vacuum Dust covers, this was after the service and it seems to have done the trick. So all I'm saying is that it much cheaper to change these simple parts, before spending a lot of money on the bike, or indeed a chiropractor. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom