Numb hand...

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Went out for a run across the counties today, about 60 miles all in :)

Within a couple of miles my Right hand is numb.

Flexing the fingers, releasing the grip / changing grip etc bring s the feeling back, but its

short lived... and it means I'm dropping off throttle all the time

Solution 1 is cruise control,

That way i can just grip the bar not the grip and twist i have to do now.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I did think of grip puppies, but not sure as to there effectiveness

The LH is fine, feel a little bit of vibration, but nothing else,

clutch operation is ok unless i have to keep it held in.

the new levers have helped.

Mart

I'm in the posture and extremity symptoms business.
It could be carpal tunnel but there are many areas arm nerves can get compromised. Head forwards round shoulders are common causes. Add in a sticking first rib and neck mobility problems and the arm nerves can get trouble.

Wind pressure from bike riding is not good for posture and can over build anterior neck muscles leading to another crimp point for nerves.

I've never been comfortable with The GSA handlebar sweep angle. I get pain in both thumb joints something I've never had in other bikes.
Fitting Renthal bars solved the problem though I did get a bit more forwards lean.

I found the throttle pull heavier than any other bike I've had when I first got the GS. I don't really notice it much now unless on a 100+ mile ride.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Grip puppies are surprisingly good and make the grip just that little bit larger so allowing a more relaxed grip. Heated grips barely affected. I would also suggest you do/check three things: consciously relax your hand; unless the throttle is stiff you should need little more than a very light grip and on long steady-speed stretches you don't need to grip at all, just rest your hand on the throttle. So, compare how stiff your throttle is to some other bikes if you can. Finally gloves - tight fitting gloves or armour across the back that makes bending fingers difficult can be very tiring leading to numb fingers and hand. Edit....as can a jacket that too tight on sleeves, elbow or shoulders. I changed the armour in my Klim Badlands to the thinner version and the jacket is now super all-day comfortable making a day on the bike much more pleasant.

oh, and a couple of other things - try changing the position of the 'bars. They bars can be mounted in one of two positions by swapping the clamps around, and you can try rotating the bars forward or back in the clamps slight to change the angle. Make sure they don't foul the screen though. Finally seat height - try the other position to the one its currently on.

Double finally - the more you ride the more used to it all you get, so ride more!!!;)

good luck

A guy I shared a room with at Headley Court (Military Rehab Centre) had a skiing accident and a little while later suffered with pins and needles and numbness in his left hand. The Army Doc´s/medics gave him the brufen treatment, nothing helped and after a few weeks the numbness travelled up his arm with his hand being completely dead but still with blood flow. He was due to go for an emergency op to sever the top lot of nerves so it wouldn't spread anymore. Scary stuff, so best get it checked out.

I have exactly the same on my 2011 gs twin cam. I went for test drive yesterday on a new R1200RS, out on it for over an hour with no numbness, just aching wrists and feeling a bit battered from the wind. I would think it's something to do with riding position so I've removed my risers to see if that improves things.
The R1200RS was also super smooth compared to mine, so no tingling through the bars.

A guy I shared a room with at Headley Court (Military Rehab Centre) had a skiing accident and a little while later suffered with pins and needles and numbness in his left hand. The Army Doc´s/medics gave him the brufen treatment, nothing helped and after a few weeks the numbness travelled up his arm with his hand being completely dead but still with blood flow. He was due to go for an emergency op to sever the top lot of nerves so it wouldn't spread anymore. Scary stuff, so best get it checked out.

I've had great success with adjustments (high velocity low amplitude) manipulation of rib 1 and low neck. There are folks who say it's witch doctory but risks are minuscule compared to surgery or even drugs. Sadly, it's ignored before even drugs are tried. Potentially a lot to gain while all the more risky options remain available.
22yo recently with a nasty whiplash (cow jumped a fence & hit him). Was able to release a jammed joint his progress has been excellent.[

I've never been comfortable with The GSA handlebar sweep angle. I get pain in both thumb joints something I've never had in other bikes.
Fitting Renthal bars solved the problem though I did get a bit more forwards lean.

Which model renthal bars did you fit?

Went out for a run across the counties today, about 60 miles all in :)

Within a couple of miles my Right hand is numb.

Flexing the fingers, releasing the grip / changing grip etc bring s the feeling back, but its

short lived... and it means I'm dropping off throttle all the time

Solution 1 is cruise control,

That way i can just grip the bar not the grip and twist i have to do now.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I did think of grip puppies, but not sure as to there effectiveness

The LH is fine, feel a little bit of vibration, but nothing else,

clutch operation is ok unless i have to keep it held in.

the new levers have helped.

Mart

Did you stop and crack one out while your hand was numb :D?

Which model renthal bars did you fit?

I wanted to use Rox anti vibe risers but did not want the grips any higher so used McGrath bend FatBars. There are other bends with similar rise to the BMW bars.
I suspect the Renthals amplify vibration but the risers with heavy end weights and shot filled bars have helped.

Another plus for Grip Puppies, a simple and cheap fix, about £6 ish IIRC..................:thumb

They also help with better throttle control.

I used this stuff wrapped around the grips. A strip of double sided tape on the front side (opposite palm pressure area) provided a join while I got the sleeve over and shrunk into place. On the throttle side, set the join opposite the point where you usually grip the throttle while riding. Mine was more or less underneath the grip with engine off.

I used 70 duro (easiest to get) but 50 is softer should be better.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sorbothan...597268?hash=item3f3c98f6d4:g:cSUAAOSwmfhX7MdA

This is the heat shrink sleeve to go over the top.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snooker-P...hash=item4889fbe6e5:m:mo00yiPM2xkmxO3vHeN8bqA

Ive ordered a set of grip puppies,

lets see what benefits they give

mart

Grip puppies are good and so are the Rox anti-vibe mounts had a set on the first GS as i suffered similar. However my next bike has never given me any problems and on that i dont have either the grip puppies of Rox risers. So it could all be to do with the setup of the bike?? When was it last balanced out??

Is it a new bike to you??

Has something changed if its just occurred??

Grip puppies are good and so are the Rox anti-vibe mounts had a set on the first GS as i suffered similar. However my next bike has never given me any problems and on that i dont have either the grip puppies of Rox risers. So it could all be to do with the setup of the bike?? When was it last balanced out??

Is it a new bike to you??

Has something changed if its just occurred??

Had the bike about 3 months,

Numbness has been off and on since i got it, but i do have hand probs anyway

what is balancing out??

mart

Throttle body synchronisation (like carb balancing) to make sure both cylinders are flowing the same.

Will put that on the list of things to do,

Should give me somthing to do over the easter weekend :)

mart :)

Back
Top Bottom