bit confused as to what to do got rid of the lc gsa an looking for the next move

steele01

Reaction score
Hey everyone so long story short had a nightmare with bmw for about 7 months which ended up in me letting the bike go once it was sorted to a different dealer,

just left me very disillusioned with bmw customer service as it nearly lost me my job so took some time to think about what to do

been flying about on a few of my classics an on my fire blade today jesus forgot how painful sports bikes are to ride haha on 500+ mile days

so weighing up the next move

gearbox puts me of the liquid cooled although it will never be ascertained how much of the issues on all the engines was down to the dealer

so thinking twin cam maybe or back thinking of an 1150 adv

something i can work on myself

ended up with a wage cut last month so caned through what little equity i got out of the liquid cooled

so sort of starting from scratch

other thing i thought of was a totally boned down GS LC or GSA Lc to get rid of the suspension issues cropping up again but then again I'm back with that gearbox issues that could crop up

or something totally different v-strom or a ktm

mainly uk stuff scotland cornwall long trips away but really wanna do Denmark, Norway and the nordkapp so my blades not gonna cut it haha

thanks in advance

Giles will be selling his very well set up KTM 1190R soon. Drop him a PM.;)

After owning a 1200LC, the 1150 motor will frustrate you; character yes, zipp no. There is something special about a Hilltopped TC 1200 with a full exhaust, very nice torquey pull to it. You will need to sort out the ESA at some point however. If you want reliable thrust, how about a Triumph Explorer, can be bought cheap and are not bad at all. If you can cope with a chain, then the 1190 Katoom is a consideration also.

I think a 1200 tc would be worth considering . Most of the earlier bugs were sorted and in my own opinion better than the wc , certainly the gearbox is , and the engine doesn't make so much clatter . Also you could still get them without the fancy suspension that so many grumble about . I particularly did not want esa and don't for one minute regret that decision , once you have experimented a bit and found your own preference just leave it alone except maybe a few turns for carrying a pillion if you must. After all you don't keep pissing about with settings in a car when you take passengers .

Depending on budget, Crosstourers are excellent although completely overlooked, the DCT is brilliant

Lower budget, get a later Varadero

Both stonking bikes for touring with Honda finish and reliability

Cheers everyone keep them coming I'm really confused what to do haha, yep totally agree Rod, don't want Esa again thats for sure was great being out on the blade with the suspension after I set it up handled lovley,

thinking ideally maybe 6k budget, unless it was something special and needs to be finance so that screws me for buying private unless i wait a few months then I'd have enough for an 1150

So sorta narrowed it down a bit

1150gsa

1200 twin cam Rallye but that means a fair bit of finance

Or a 1200 adventure twin cam Vs hexhead?

800 tiger need to do some reading up on these

Few questions :) how do you tell the difference between the two adventure tanks on the GSA 1150

Sure i read there was two different sizes

An on the twin cam is it a cabled throttle rather than fly by wire ?

Thanks in advance

Depending on budget, Crosstourers are excellent although completely overlooked, the DCT is brilliant

Lower budget, get a later Varadero

Both stonking bikes for touring with Honda finish and reliability

Agreed about the cross tourer, what about an Africa Twin? I replaced a Ducati with the AT and haven't looked back, also you don't hear bad things about them (someone will be along to prove this wrong in a few minutes)

You can tell by the shape of the tank on the 1150 GSA

Looking from the seat the larger tank is more bulbous & rounded with wider flanks

Most had big tanks, so you'd be unlucky to get a small tanked model (unless the big tank was crash damaged)

1150GSA is different. Not for everyone. Forget the comments about them being slow, they aren't, but they're not fast either. It's a bike that makes you work for the reward of speed, but will gladly take you wherever you want to go effortlessly at 80mph.
Tiger 800 is faster than the GS but boring and won't handle as well as the 1150 loaded up.
1200gs is a good option for something lighter and more modern.

1150 GSA id blow your budget on a very low mileage sorted one...Zero Depreciation, keeping my LC , i love it, after 3yrs its still like new with no issues, plus id have to pay 5-6k to swop, so instead im going to be looking for a 1150 or buy a dog and let Mikeboy work his magic

Another shout for the F800GS. Well built, reliable and economical. Geoff (Hilltop) says the engine is willing to deliver a surprising uplift in punch with a little of his magic.

to be honest I don't mind working a big rather than sitting in one gear my Fireblade drives me nuts with that after riding my Norton's an having a very fun and involving mind so I guess the 1150 appeals with that regard,

not really looked at the 800 much yet

So whats the major issues to look out for on the 1150's and whats the main expenses cost :)

So whats the major issues to look out for on the 1150's and whats the main expenses cost :)

The brake servo is the only expensive thing that can go wrong with the 1150GSA (if it's a 2003-2005 bike). Having said that, you can remove the servo at no cost if it fails and you're handy with spanners. The only other things I know of that commonly go wrong are the Hall Effect sensor and the final drive bearing. The parts for those aren't expensive and can be changed yourself.

1150 GSA id blow your budget on a very low mileage sorted one...Zero Depreciation, keeping my LC , i love it, after 3yrs its still like new with no issues, plus id have to pay 5-6k to swop, so instead im going to be looking for a 1150 or buy a dog and let Mikeboy work his magic

SENSIBLE MAN............you know I'm biased though:D

As Flip says,1150 GSA's... they are neither fast, nor slow

On a straight A road, a 1200 or a Fireblade will blow them away

On a twisty B road or gnarly, undulating moorland road.............not much will get past you

Sometimes, I have to wait for other 1200 riders to catch up and sometimes I don't:p

A lot of the time it's the rider who is quicker and certainly not the bike;)

haha yep :D i do everyones head in when Im out on my Norton 650ss those things surprisingly don't need to drop corner speed haha not all about powaaahh

After a 1150 now I think decision made

Do you know if they did a lowered seat last time i sat on one was struggling a bit touching the floor haha

haha yep :D i do everyones head in when Im out on my Norton 650ss those things surprisingly don't need to drop corner speed haha not all about powaaahh

After a 1150 now I think decision made

Do you know if they did a lowered seat last time i sat on one was struggling a bit touching the floor haha

You'll regret it :rob

My hairs gone grey, I scorn most things plastic, and have developed a fetish for hand tools. You'll spend much time deliberating changing it for something better and fail to quench the thirst with the selection of average offerings in the manufacturers various sales brochures. You'll be old and grumpy and people will shun you for riding an ancient dinosaur. No one will wave at you whilst out there and none of the latest racing helmet colours will look right. You'll be a social outcast and have to park at the far end of the cafe car park so your mates don't ignore you when they finally get there.

Welcome to the most cantankerous miserably happy bunch of Luddite technophobes known to the biking community, thank feck we don't belong, they're a bunch of Cnut she those biker types anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom