Lost yellow routing line???

Hi Guys,

No, no...I'm not on about just changing the colour of the line, I know you can do that in preferences, look at the pics below to see what i'm on about, try and ignore that i've fecked up the orientation :blast

This first pic shows some routes in Wales we've got planned for the near future, no route is selected yet :-

When I do select "show route" or whatever it is, instead of automatically showing that route as a transparent yellow line with the thin black line for the road, what it does now is just automatically show the selected route as a thick Magenta "splodge" as below and you can't make out road details, junctions, names very easily.

It was much better the old way when it highlighted the route in transparent yellow and that's what I'm trying to get back???

What you are seeing is quite normal, in both Mapsource and BaseCamp. It's been like that for years. I vaguely remember the old yellow with a black line version, I think. But, wasn't that possibly when tugging the route with the route shaping tool or maybe when highlighting tracks, perhaps? It's a long time since I fired up Mapsource or used a PC, so I'm afraid I've forgotten. Maybe there are some old threads or YouTube videos to show it? If it was when highlighting tracks, you could try saving the route as a track, to see if that worked.... but I'm clutching at straws and guessing, to be honest.

Meanwhile:

If you zoom in in the second picture, the magenta line will still be bold (you have asked the software to highlight it) but its scale relative to the rest of the map will reduce. Is that any better?

What is it precisely that you want to see beneath the magenta line, why and how often?

I cant recall ever getting the effect your looking for when highlighting a route, been using mapsource for yonks, if you click on help-about mapsource, it will tell you the version you are using mine is 6.16.3. Theres also the option to check for software updates in the help menu, I vaguely remember updating the software a few years ago and it did make the route line thicker IIRC.

With BaseCamp any saved routes retain your choice of colour.

Yes agreed the route saves the colour but map source does not so you are back with the magenta line until you change it again, i should have been more clear.

as i have said above its been like this for a good few versions now, so unless the OP had a really early version and has inadvertantly updated it i dont know what else to suggest,

What you are seeing is quite normal, in both Mapsource and BaseCamp. It's been like that for years.

Cheers for the reply's guys, If this is now normal, it must be me just catching up in the last month or so with software / map upgrades, much preferred it the old style, why do they continually have to feck about with this stuff?? :banghead:

Cheers for the reply's guys, If this is now normal, it must be me just catching up in the last month or so with software / map upgrades, much preferred it the old style, why do they continually have to feck about with this stuff?? :banghead:

you can download an older version and get it back to what it was, if you can remember what version you had that is.

Bingo! I have found it. I knew that it rang a bell from years ago.

Watton (Kev) - who used to be a great contributor to this site in more enlightened times - did a series of articles on how to use Mapsource. Here is part one of three from 2006, so I am at least not quite senile.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...amp-Waypoints?highlight=Mapsource+for+dummies

The pictures Kev used in his article are still visible. In them you can see a yellow line, maybe just what the OP is describing?

876fe09bb4c215e90befe7b8a7da8005.jpg

Reading the article and looking at its pictures, it looks to me like a highlighted track log, which might well tie in with the rest of my memory of Mapsource? If so, have a play at saving a route as a track, or creating a track and see what happens. You can't break it.

PS find all three of Kev's articles here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/278-Mapsource-Software-amp-Maps-Questions-and-Tips

They are stickies. I should have remembered them but I don't dive into the ancient pool that is Mapsource that often.

In the second one, you can see yellow routes, along with the shaping tool in use. My memory for useless trivia is not quite dead.

34c9244aa56bf515d97f8ab495fa3e97.jpg

Bingo, I have found it. I knew that it rang a bell from years ago.

Watton (Kev) - who used to be a great contributor to this site in more enlightened times - did a series of articles on how to use Mapsource. Here is part one of three from 2006, so I am at least not quite senile.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...amp-Waypoints?highlight=Mapsource+for+dummies

The pictures Kev used in his article are still visible. In them you can see a yellow line, maybe just what the OP is describing?

876fe09bb4c215e90befe7b8a7da8005.jpg

Reading the article and looking at its pictures, it looks to me like a highlighted track log, which might well tie in with the rest of my memory of Mapsource?

Yes that looks like the old version.

So, is it possible for the OP to wind the clock back? I guess so if he can find an early version of Mapsource, maybe on its old installation CD? Or maybe there are some downloads floating about on the www?

34c9244aa56bf515d97f8ab495fa3e97.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm on about, good spot Wapping!!

I'm afraid with my putor skills if I have to start installing old versions of Mapsource to get it back that I'll feck it up totally, so I'll just have to live with it....pity as I think the old version is much, much clearer.

All the versions available here, http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/ Google a wonderfull recource, its a shame its not used more often.
:blast:beerjug::beerjug:

Hahaha...

I took a leaf out of bikermates' books and couldn't be arsed to look. Trawling back to 2006 has taken its toll and there was some Adventure bike bloke in the pub urgently seeking routes and ideas for him (and his obligatory mate) to ride on Good Friday through to late afternoon on Saturday, as they've just discovered it's a holiday and the sun might be shining.

In the meantime, there are no trains from Waterloo to Twickenham tomorrow, which buggers up my plans to go easily to watch 'quins thrash Exeter (or not) tomorrow evening... a big shout out (as yoof would say) to the RFU for moving a sell out game to Good Friday night, when the capital is reduced to horse and cart. Anyone got a route...?

I'm afraid with my putor skills if I have to start installing old versions of Mapsource to get it back that I'll feck it up totally, so I'll just have to live with it....pity as I think the old version is much, much clearer.

I think you'll be alright. Download it and fire it up. I would and I don't know anything about the inner workings of a PC box of widgets. There is nothing that cannot be undone, trust me.

Hahaha...

I took a leaf out of bikermates' books and couldn't be arsed to look. Trawling back to 2006 has taken its toll and there was some Adventure bike bloke in the pub urgently seeking routes and ideas for him (and his obligatory mate) to ride on Good Friday through to late afternoon on Saturday, as they've just discovered it's a holiday and the sun might be shining.

In the meantime, there are no trains from Waterloo to Twickenham tomorrow, which buggers up my plans to go easily to watch 'quins thrash Exeter (or not) tomorrow evening... a big shout out (as yoof would say) to the RFU for moving a sell out game to Good Friday night, when the capital is reduced to horse and cart. Anyone got a route...?

With reference to a route are you any good at rowing, this route may be the best

Attachments

• 13-04-2017 13-55-09.jpg
    13-04-2017 13-55-09.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 228
After the great pedelo disaster on my honeymoon, I have a court order banning me from waterborne craft of any sort.

I am creating lots of routes for Spain using a large screen Mac and BaseCamp running the latest maps.

The magenta line is very crisply displayed, even when zoomed right in. I also notice that more often than not the road details (name / number etc) when known are above the road, not within the road itself. This leaves the details visible when the route is highlighted and the magenta line darkens.

Pretty much what i experience when using pc and big screen, no problems really.

There is no BaseCamp app for an iPad/iPhone that I can think of or at least not one as at April 2017 that will allow plotting of a route on an iPad for upload into a Garmin GPS device.

There are other Garmin apps that will run on an iPhone / iPad but they are something different.

If everyone is happy to accept this, tomorrow I'll delete the erroneous posts and links, to keep the thread on track.... which is all about magenta lines obscuring road numbers.

-------------

Job done.

Back
Top Bottom