Cast wheels

Ian Whinnett

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening all, looking for a bit of advice. I've got a 97 1100gs with spokes wheels that I'd like to convert to cast wheels. I'm sure I've seen examples done, there seems to be a whole list of possible wheel varieties depending on abs and speedo etc. Mine is abs which is like to keep, does a guru know what is possible and which wheels can be fitted.

I realise that I'll need an appropriate speedo drive to factor in tha smaller front wheel but that does not appear to be a issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian.

I did this conversion on my 1150 some years ago, the wheels were from an R1150R if I recall. One thing to bear in mind is with the new wheels being different sizes to the spoked set, they rotate at different speeds, which can knock your ABS out.

Cast Wheels

I have done this to my 1150s using rt wheels (you also need rt speedo drive) as mentioned before abs still works (non servo) although if I go above 95 it confuses it and the lights flash, no real issue, next time I stop, turn engine off and on again abs resets. Cheers,:beerjug: John B

Can't remember the last time I even got to 90 let alone the heady speeds of 95. Living in mid Wales its all about the bimble rather than the blast. Thanks for the input though at least I won't panic if it happens.

Cheers ian

I have just converted my 1100gs using r1150 wheels ..... NOT the Rockster as its too wide , use the 5"
With ABS you need the spacer disc behind the wheel and I found the wheel studs were ok ( on 1150s you need shorter ones )
Use the 1150r speedo drive as its also a spacer and your original speedo drive isn't wide enough
Sidestand will actually be a better angle

Its an easy conversion .......very straight forward

Attachments

• Alloy 3.jpg
    Alloy 3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 646
  • Alloy 1.jpg
    Alloy 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 659
I have just ordered the r1150r wheels from Motorworks with rear studs and the speedo drive. Hope it all works ok. Thanks for the advice all.

I have just ordered the r1150r wheels from Motorworks with rear studs and the speedo drive. Hope it all works ok. Thanks for the advice all.
Hi Ian .... I had to put the spacer disc behind the rear wheel to avoid hitting the ABS sensor ....also the rear studs on my 1100 were the correct length as standard

1864cdaed9b882ccac3224aa4d6e0384.jpg

You can get a smaller front mudguard to suit the 17" RT wheel.

1864cdaed9b882ccac3224aa4d6e0384.jpg

You can get a smaller front mudguard to suit the 17" RT wheel.

Where did you get that from? :nenau I've tried to get one from that German company ( name escapes me at the mo ) but with no success. :mad:

Sorry, was on it when I got it. Someone told me where.
I'll look it up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a set of R/RS 3 spoke alloys in my garage for a few years now, I've yet to fit them to my 850gs. I believe I need a mounting plate for the rear disc, but I'm not sure which part it is. I have looked on real oem to see what rs and rt models use, they all seem to have a diferent part. Can anyone tell me which bit it is I need please?
Ive got K11RS discs fitted to the front wheel and the correct speedo drive, so I think I just need the mount for the rear disc.

I've had a set of R/RS 3 spoke alloys in my garage for a few years now, I've yet to fit them to my 850gs. I believe I need a mounting plate for the rear disc, but I'm not sure which part it is. I have looked on real oem to see what rs and rt models use, they all seem to have a diferent part. Can anyone tell me which bit it is I need please?
Ive got K11RS discs fitted to the front wheel and the correct speedo drive, so I think I just need the mount for the rear disc.

A little slow on the response here - the early K1200RS used a disc carrier rather than having the disc mounted to the wheel. I've used this setup before on an R1150GS and it works well - no faffing around with the caliper to remove the wheel. Is that what you're talking about?

Back
Top Bottom