old v new bike comms.

aeronut7

Reaction score
i used to be a bike instructor a few years ago and we used to use the pmr radios with ear pieces and mics fitted in the lid.range was great and never had a problem communicating.
ive been looking around for a bike to bike set up for my next trip with my son....im not interested in pairing with my satnav or my phone and im not into spending a fortune on the latest comms systems...
looking at the prices of the cheapo chinky bluetooth intercoms. most are about £60-£80 for a pair which is about the same as a pair of decent pmr setups...
any body here use the chinky stuff and or the pmr setups....

I've used those branded as BT 500 with a pillion, not as good as the Sena SMH5 I'm currently using bike to bike.
The Sena doesn't have a great distance but the clarity is so much better.

My mate and I use Scala Q2 teamset we bought around 2010, have worked great with no issues, never seen the need to upgrade as they just keep working. Might find these cheap nowadays as they are now an old model

i used to be a bike instructor a few years ago and we used to use the pmr radios with ear pieces and mics fitted in the lid.range was great and never had a problem communicating.
ive been looking around for a bike to bike set up for my next trip with my son....im not interested in pairing with my satnav or my phone and im not into spending a fortune on the latest comms systems...
looking at the prices of the cheapo chinky bluetooth intercoms. most are about £60-£80 for a pair which is about the same as a pair of decent pmr setups...
any body here use the chinky stuff and or the pmr setups....

Is a decent PMR setup that cheap?
Are you planning PTT or VOX?

I'm surprised that you can get clear comms at high speed over PMR with all the wind noise.

I have the (costly) sena 20s, but speech is clear, although range limited.

vox.....last time i bought a set a few years ago i got a pair from maplins for around £80...i had headsets and mics already so yeah £60-£80 is probebly a bit cheap for a decent set...
thinking about it comms was good and clear but i was doing cbt most of the time so never went very fast...
so realisticly im better off with a bluetooth setup...

Back
Top Bottom