Which tyres to fit for a long trip

Mikey Tenbury

Reaction score
We are off to Istanbul via the balkans, at the moment I've got continental road tyres on which are pants. Which tyres would you recommend , not any off roading but there will be some ropey roads. Thanks for you help in advance

PR4s are sticky but tend to get punctures

A lot of people hate Anakee IIIs because they can be noisy, however they are actually good all round tires with plenty of grip, good wear, a minimum of mixed ability and they seem to be resistant to punctures too

So for a long trip on shitty roads................

Heidenau K60 tyres are renowned for their durability. I have had a three rears and two fronts - 10,000 out of the first couple of rear tyres and a staggering 15,000 out of the third (fitted in USA where I someone said they use a slightly harder compound than for europe :nenau). The fronts last for a about 50% longer, although I changed the last one at 22,000 miles and it still had 3-4mm of tread.

The drawback is they are quite compromised - not the best road tyre and not the best off road, but are nevertheless OK for 90% of the time and probably ideal for "ropey" roads. I never quite trusted mine the wet, especially once they got well worn, and did have the back slide a few times when cranked over almost to the pegs (hint, don't do that). If I was heading off on a trip again involving high miles and ropey roads its what I would fit. Otherwise Avon Trail riders are the best tyres I have used on any big trailie style bike. Currently on my first set, the rear is about ready for change after 5,000 miles the front will do another 2-3,000 I should think. But, I have had a puncture and when looking for the hole to plug I did notice quite a few cuts and tiny holes in the tyre.

As above, I find the Heidenaus a pretty good all rounder and the longevity a bonus. Only one snag is if running on tubes and you have a puncture in the middle of nowhere they are a bastard to get off.

Just ordered a pair of Mitas E07's.... had a set on my Super Tenere and they were fine on the road , not bad in the wet, but I wouldn't take liberties on wet roads with them ( tend not to take liberties whatever tyre is fitted)

Tyre leader £110 delivered for a pair for a twin cam GSA

So, you're not riding around the world.

You're not riding off road.

The worse you'll come across are a few tracks and some pot holes.

Fit any of the current crop of road tyres that are made to look all ruffty tuffty. Avon Trailriders seem to be the flavour de jour so I'd go for a new shinny set of them just before you go.

Have a fun trip :)

Andres

My Super Adventure came with Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs as standard.

So far they have performed very impressively in both wet and dry - they are also supposed to me good for a lot of miles (although I can't vouch for this yet).

Back
Top Bottom