Interphone Sport / Tour

Barry Garrow

Reaction score
Hi. Regarding the new(ish) Interphone Sport / Tour intercom, can any user answer a simple question. When used with a dedicated GPS (in this case a Garmin Zumo 660), does the rider to rider intercom re-connect automatically when in intercom mode after being interupted by GPS route guidance? I have posed this question to the distributor, sellers and the manufacturer and for some unknown reason they cannot, or refuse to give a clear answer. There is only one real indepth review on the web but the focus here is on use with smartphones. Having looked at many intercoms from various manufactures I realised that many of the assumptions I had made about what an intercom would and should do were wrong. I didnt realise how confusing these bits of kit are and how easy it would be to buy something that would not live up to expectations. Thanks for reading.

I have the same problem. My sat-nav is a Nav 5. A pal and me had a tour twin pack and I also connected to a Nav 5. When the nav gives instructions it holds the channel so you lose the intercom.The only way i could reset it was to do it manually. Mind you, it doesn't matter now as after often finding it dangling on the headset lead after falling off the helmet bracket, it eventually disappeared. The importers rep was at an open day shortly after but wasn't interested :mad:.
FWIW we quite often got interference on it such as frying chips sounds. Personally i think i will go back to a wired system as BT gear doesn't work as well.

BTW you have to have a windows laptop to update the software as they don't do a mac software updater.

Thanks stever1. You've made my mind up for me. I posed my query by email to the importer (gave a vague reply but didn't address the question.) and the manufacturer who didn't bother to reply. I'm going for the Sena 10s which appears to have a much better reputation and does what I want from an intercom system. I am in disbelief that most intercoms don't perform what I would consider to be an obvious and very basic requirement. With the current focus on mobile phone usage whilst driving I suspect that twiddling knobs on an intercom whilst riding would raise a few law enforcement eyebrows.

I don't use the phone on my bike so its not relevant to me. I still think that BT kit is not fully developed yet.Previously i had a Starcom wired system connected to a sat nav, pillion and also to a PMR radio and volume switch. Worked a treat.
I looked at the Sena 10U after i lost the tour, whilst it would solve the issue with losing the unit, its still a BT unit:nenau

Won't turning off audible guidance solve this issue?

I have an interphone F5XT which is a couple of generations older kit. This is linked to the Nav 5. The nav communications will interrupt the intercom and then will revert back automatically. I can't imagine later generations would lose this function. However, when I do have the Nav connected as well I get a regular pulsing of white noise about every 30 seconds....very annoying and leads me to turn the Nav 5 verbal commas off.

Having updated the firmware and contacted the retailer I still have no resolution. The retailer told me the "old" units (only 3years old) are no longer supported by the manufacture so cannot resolve.....will not be buying Interphone again.

Hi The Nutty GSER - turning off the audible guidance from the Zumo 660 defeats the object. It would seem that on the interphone, having the intercom connection open allows the Zumo voice guidance to interrupt any conversation (which is what I would want and expect) but when guidance ends the Rider to Rider connection does not resume or auto re- connect - it has to be re- established manually. This, in my book, is pants. The Sena 10s and the later 20s will resume the Rider to Rider automatically and this basic requirement is really all I'm wanting. Just to be clear - I'm talking about here about using a dedicated GPS unit - not gps guidance from a smartphone.

I have an interphone F5XT which is a couple of generations older kit. This is linked to the Nav 5. The nav communications will interrupt the intercom and then will revert back automatically. I can't imagine later generations would lose this function. However, when I do have the Nav connected as well I get a regular pulsing of white noise about every 30 seconds....very annoying and leads me to turn the Nav 5 verbal commas off.

Having updated the firmware and contacted the retailer I still have no resolution. The retailer told me the "old" units (only 3years old) are no longer supported by the manufacture so cannot resolve.....will not be buying Interphone again.

I have F5XT and F5MC and have the same functionality with my Zumo 660 but without the white noise. I've just introduced a Nav V instead of the Zumo and it seems to be very hit and miss at reconnecting and indeed initial connecting compared to the Zumo......

Back
Top Bottom