Inner Tubes - Life Span

JoeC

rebircsbuS
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Being new to tyres with inner tubes :

What is the life span of an inner tube?
What are the rules / guide lines on using inner tubes that have been repaired?

Thanks
Joe

Thanks
Joe

I would only ever use a repaired inner tube to get me home ... otherwise fit a new one asap. They're cheap enough :thumb

Memories of motorcycling in the sixties when I couldn't afford a new tube, repair patches lifting, patches on top of patches :rob

Life generally very good and can be used from tyre to tyre replacement .... if they look a bit manky round the valve, rusty or otherwise, then replace :thumb

If they look OK then they probably will be :thumb2

:beerjug:

To the best of my knowledge, ( and there's only been one set of tyres go on my bike when I wasn't there watching), I've never had the tubes replaced on mine. 42K and probably 5 or 6 sets of boots, still on original tubes (95% certain!)

I would change at most tyre changes, valve stems take some hammer with corrosion and you wouldn't want one of those failing at speed

Trouble with tubed tyres is when they fail, it usually causes fairly rapid deflation (in comparison to tubeless equivalents) and at speed this can be not pleasant

Thanks for the updates.

As far as good makes of inner tubes I have read go for Michelin - thoughts?
Is it worth going for heavy duty inner tubes - I only ride on tarmac?

TiA.
Joe

As far as I am aware the only time I have had a new inner tube was at the first tyre change when the tyre fitter, that I have been going to for about 20 years, found that the front was a heavy duty tube. He said that for only riding on tarmac that they cause to much heat build up and can then cause problems.
So I had a new front tube at about 20k, and six years ago. The bike is about to get its 66k service and I'm pretty sure its still on the same set of tubes.
So don't run the heavy duty ones, and if they look a dodgy change them. Otherwise they're fine.

When I had tubes I changed them every other tyre change. There not expensive so why risk it? Plus the old tubes are very useful spares to keep you going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
Joe

I stick a new tube in every time I change the tyre (or when I get home if I've had to fix a puncture) - :thumb

Back
Top Bottom